Male, Female, or Hermie? Please help!

Tough luck on the dudes…. Purchasing feminized seeds will alleviate the guesswork and wasted time. Even if using fem seeds there’s fraction of a percentage it will turn male, but the odds are now stacked in your favor that its a female. Would also suggest starting with fem photoperiods and avoid autos for now. Photoperiods can bounce back from mistakes but it’s easy to stunt or stall an autoflower.

You can run 12/12 in any media. You can start seedlings on 12/12 it’s just forcing plant to enter flower cycle asap but that’s cool too.

welcome aboard rj

Tough luck on the dudes…. Purchasing feminized seeds will alleviate the guesswork and wasted time. Even if using fem seeds there’s fraction of a percentage it will turn male, but the odds are now stacked in your favor that its a female. Would also suggest starting with fem photoperiods and avoid autos for now. Photoperiods can bounce back from mistakes but it’s easy to stunt or stall an autoflower.

You can run 12/12 in any media. You can start seedlings on 12/12 it’s just forcing plant to enter flower cycle asap but that’s cool too.

welcome aboard rj
Welcome to 420 @rjgrowbig
I run sterile hydro and I put the seeds in rock wool and the reservoir immediately after germination. I don't have issues. Make sure you get the nutrient solution correct for the growth stage you are in. If you run LEDs you will need to add CalMag.

If you are using regular seeds, check out this site LeafWorks® Cannabis & Hemp DNA Sex Test. It will be worth the fifteen dollars and you can test the sex after a couple of leaf nodes, long before pollen can be an issue. It can also save a lot of $$$$ worth of nutrients.

I would leave the plants at 18/6 until they achieve 1/2 of your desired size.

Welcome to 420 @rjgrowbig
I run sterile hydro and I put the seeds in rock wool and the reservoir immediately after germination. I don't have issues. Make sure you get the nutrient solution correct for the growth stage you are in. If you run LEDs you will need to add CalMag.

If you are using regular seeds, check out this site LeafWorks® Cannabis & Hemp DNA Sex Test. It will be worth the fifteen dollars and you can test the sex after a couple of leaf nodes, long before pollen can be an issue. It can also save a lot of $$$$ worth of nutrients.

I would leave the plants at 18/6 until they achieve 1/2 of your desired size.
This is great! thank you!!

I don't want to start a new post. Here is our 3rd dirt plant. We've tossed the other 2 that were males (and cried a little while doing so.. haha) We have this one on 12/12 now... not sure if it's been long enough to tell yet, but here are some pictures. any ideas? or do we need to wait a bit longer?

IMG_0315.jpeg

IMG_0316.jpeg

IMG_0317.jpeg

IMG_0318.jpeg

IMG_0319.jpeg

Unsure what you mean by topped (sorry.. still very new to growing).
And I thought we could put it on 12/12 to sex it and then go back to 18/6 until it's ready to flower...

Just keep growing it, it will show you the sex of the plant in a few weeks.
Topping is when you cut the top so the plant starts producing more lower branches (becomes more bushy).

edit: to me this looks like a female plant

Unsure what you mean by topped (sorry.. still very new to growing).
And I thought we could put it on 12/12 to sex it and then go back to 18/6 until it's ready to flower...
So I would leave it on 12/12 until you start to see the little white hairs in the crease of the nodes. Then you know and can increase the light. 12/12 will force it to sex leave it for about a week and then check, I think we should be able to tell then... But if you are going to try it like this you have to keep it like this until it starts to show sex, because keep switching things to much it will herme.... I will not recommend anything that I don't do.. 👍👍👍

Hey @rjgrowbig and welcome to the forum!

Here's what a female looks like when the pre-flowers first emerge. Look at the node and you'll see a little bract with 2 white hairs coming out... those are called stigmas. This is a Blueberry female...

blueberry_indicates-jpg.2635701

Here's a better photo... this is a 90% sativa strain...
gmg_female-jpg.2630356

I always use feminized seed unless I can only get regular seed for the strain I'm looking for. My favorite sponsor for seed so far is True North.

happy growing! 🌱

Hey bigrow , welcome to the 420 gang of growers,( new and old ) and some are even ancient ,, bad news on the males, Sorry for your losses,:rip:. Nothing wrong with bag seed if you know that it was really good weed, You Just have to plant more of them, sex them and as they show themselves pull the ladies aside ,, even “”Feminized “”seeds can throw the odd male at ya... always have to get your face in there a keep an eye out for the little buggers ,, with bag seed if you want 4 - plant 8 ,, You can run 16 hrs till 4th node, then cut to 12 hrs for a week to 10 days,, pick out your ladies ( removing and destroying males) and I mean get them as far away and as fast as you can...!! I guess I never asked are you a closet grower or do you also do outdoor??

Looking back on your pics,, You’re a closet grow,, sooo You are going to have to give your tent a good clean, You can bet the farm those dirty little males left some pecker tracks in there.

Hello fellow grow friends! Me again!
Here’s our 3rd plant again - grown a little bigger. Doesn’t look exactly like a female but hoping this one might be. Our VERY FIRST one a couple years ago has so far been the only female we’ve had, I guess. I dunno - we tried a few in DWC (our first time with hydro)but had root rot - maybe those were female 🤷🏼‍♀️
Getting tired of all these males!

What should we clean the tent with? Soap and water or something specific? I didn’t think they had come close enough to opening

If anyone can help tell if this one is male or female, we’d greatly appreciate the assistance! <3
4E4AE3FE-7C90-4B9B-ACC6-CA56E5B28C6A.jpeg

0A271C28-E99E-4172-B58D-8D047C223607.jpeg

03151934-A239-44FC-B24E-98E7711DEBA8.jpeg

266B5FA4-CEC4-4B8A-8940-52A812135FE7.jpeg

4C843ECD-70BE-4FBC-B8AF-D3E25591A324.jpeg

Hate to be the one to tell you and please wait for a second and third opinion ,, But its not looking good my friend,, where are you getting your seed, seems strange to get that many males in a row ,, Really

Yes 3 out of 3 all male's 😲 sorry, if I was you I would definitely order some female's, because he looks healthy so looks like you have the hang of growing... But definitely get rid of him first... Sorry 👍👍
I found this video very interesting.

I plan on trying this on my next grow. I will be growing regular seeds.

I will also be utilizing the gender test here after the third node.

Back
Top Bottom