Male or female?

@KingJohnC I read an expert opinion that pollen can be frozen to keep it viable, up to 18 months. You seem to be saying pollen is still viable up to 4 years at room temperature.

When kept in stable cold temperature the biological process slows degradation and yes I have also read the expected viable common way to store cannabis pollen. The unanswered question is with absence of ultraviolet light present in sunlight in a controlled temperature climate what is the longest time possible for 10% to remain viable and continue contaminating every grow for years?

I am relaying I have conversed with multiple experienced outdoor growers who relayed their common belief in outdoor environments cannabis pollen can remain viable for longer that a single calendar year and continue pollinating female cannabis plants which have been inspected and found free from intersex cannabis plants. I am relaying i have conversed with multiple experienced indoor growers who after their dwellings contamination from intersex pollen even after twice replacing all carpeted floors and linens experienced that their grows became seeded without a identifiable pollen source and sold their property's to rid themselves of this multiple year spanning ongoing cause of low cannabinoid ruined medical grows. Experienced medical growers also relayed past problems others known to them have had with rental properties where again no source of pollen was evident and multiple year spanning pollination resulted in low thc ruined grows. A belief was relayed that with either a rental property or residence which has been previously contaminated a minimum of a 4 year period would be the nearest time span before repeated contamination would not be ongoing.

When i purchased my property I found bits of remaining black and white panda plastic with many staples across the rafters and boards. Many years later for an otherwise untreatable medical condition I became a fully legal medical cannabis patient and then began growing in the property.

Pollen is a natural persistent biological storage format . You would require a qualified formal opinion from a botanist with a doctorate on the longest period pollen is still able to successfully reproduce viable seed or cause contamination.

@KingJonhC Thanks for your reply. A couple things come to mind (outdoor): 1) cannabis pollen persisting in the local environment could be just continued leakage from someone in the surrounding area; 2) if you are in a rainy climate, the rain will push the pollen down to the dirt, where all sorts of things will go after it and decompose it, and keep it out of the air. That's my sense. For indoor controlled environments, it makes more sense that pollen originally let loose there may persist. Another thing... I'm fairly certain that different types of plant pollen will behave differently in this regard, so cannabis is the question here.

Cannabis is a specialty plant that commonly for many decades few people have had either access to study or produce without enhanced security access. Accordingly what may have once been common knowledge is no longer in existence concerning the long term viability of cannabis pollen in the natural outdoor ecosystem or local environment.

Specialized knowledge

1) The experienced outdoor growers are well able to detect and distinguish the scent of flowering male or female cannabis plants in adjacent areas to locate their source over long distances. This was questioned concerning other parties known or unknown who may have additional fresh cannabis pollen sources and eliminated from possibility.

2) when it rains yes a large amount of free floating pollen in the air is washed to the soil surface, the question is when the moisture evaporates has the pollen become sufficiently degraded or inert? When the moisture has dried how easily can cannabis pollen become airborne again? What is the minimal percentage of viable cannabis pollen required for natural pollination to occur in natural outdoor surroundings?

If the opportunity presents to converse with experienced outdoor growers from your local patient co operative please inquire if in past female cannabis plants have been pollinated by an unknown source of cannabis pollen, if and the opinion in how this repeated annually?

@KingJohnC said
The experienced outdoor growers are well able to detect and distinguish the scent of flowering male or female cannabis plants in adjacent areas to locate their source over long distances.
Hmm... maybe growers who are smelling a large grow of particularly stinky plants, that are close enough to actually be detected by the human nose (we are not talking dogs here). Regarding male vs. female flower scent – who would be growing a large number of outdoor males? Mixed male and female I can understand, as with a large agronomic hemp grow. On the other hand, it doesn't take many male plants at all to release enough pollen to affect plants in the surrounding area, since it's carried by the wind. How far is it carried in the wind? Likely, very far. The farther away the source is, the less likely anyone (including dogs) could tell where it's coming from.

when it rains yes a large amount of free floating pollen in the air is washed to the soil surface, the question is when the moisture evaporates has the pollen become sufficiently degraded or inert? When the moisture has dried how easily can cannabis pollen become airborne again? What is the minimal percentage of viable cannabis pollen required for natural pollination to occur in natural outdoor surroundings?
Again, the much more likely scenario is that there's a recurring release of pollen from someone's grow in the area (near, far, very far). In an environment with regular, almost daily rainfall, like where we are, there's not a great reason to be suspecting that pollen is becoming re-airborne – although possible, the scenario I just mentioned is far more likely for the bulk of any pollen having an impact.

If the opportunity presents to converse with experienced outdoor growers from your local patient co operative please inquire if in past female cannabis plants have been pollinated by an unknown source of cannabis pollen, if and the opinion in how this repeated annually?
I have a good level of experience growing outdoors, and I'm not part of a local cooperative. There is definitely pollen floating around in our environment, but not much. This raises another important point, which is what exactly are we striving for in the production of female flowers? I personally don't really mind that much finding an occasional seed. People who are producing buds for sale – that's a different story.

If it makes you feel any better I had to chop my favorite because it was a male. Sometimes make the best of a bad situation… make some salve.

28A9860F-12B6-41D0-BC4E-500626055C6A.jpeg

94294830-9B05-470A-AF74-0E715D329E63.jpeg

657DE163-B819-4666-AA7D-83F2AB8C90C5.jpeg

06770AE3-C5E9-49EF-81C7-E21BCA104749.jpeg

DD7183B2-0C91-4BCA-90EF-32728FD0D05D.jpeg

83C64C5E-E430-435C-ABEA-AA0E2BE2B224.jpeg

1CC35473-CC9E-4D0C-8936-45B58FBD1E52.jpeg

4711DD24-08D6-4E7C-8AA6-D3333868E78F.jpeg
F10A821D-5FEE-4A9F-AA22-ACC8F2FDE29A.jpeg

It looks like a true hermaphrodite and not a plant that starts to throw out a few male flowers late in the flowering stage. How long has the plant been flowering?

Another photo of the same spot on the plant in 2-3 days will really tell more.
What do you think

20220218_070409.jpg

20220217_192422.jpg

20220217_191632.jpg

Back
Top Bottom