Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

If You have a dedicated vegetative space I would chose a vegetative spectrum for a LED light panel. Depending on the distance from the tops of your plants and the size your plants are in your grow area you may have superior results with the Mars II 700 watt in both vegetative growth and flowering.

If You have a dedicated vegetative space I would chose a vegetative spectrum for a LED light panel. Depending on the distance from the tops of your plants and the size your plants are in your grow area you may have superior results with the Mars II 700 watt in both vegetative growth and flowering.

Great thanks kjc.... So there is an advantage of having a led that is a veg spectrum? Will it affect quality/ yield or is just more energy efficient???:thanks::thanks::thanks:

It depends on your situation, Moon Man. If you're going to flower and veg in the same space the switch is nice. It saves you some electricity when you only have the veg switch on in early veg, but full spectrum does pretty well in veg, too. I like the idea that multiple fixtures are better than one because they give you more control over how far above the plant a light sits when you have plants of multiple heights and better overall coverage of the canopy than a single brighter light. You could also consider 4 x the old style 100x3 lights for 1200 TopLed watt equivalents (what ever those are.) People seem to really like the 100x3s.

It depends on your situation, Moon Man. If you're going to flower and veg in the same space the switch is nice. It saves you some electricity when you only have the veg switch on in early veg, but full spectrum does pretty well in veg, too. I like the idea that multiple fixtures are better than one because they give you more control over how far above the plant a light sits when you have plants of multiple heights and better overall coverage of the canopy than a single brighter light. You could also consider 4 x the old style 100x3 lights for 1200 TopLed watt equivalents (what ever those are.) People seem to really like the 100x3s.

Great thanks peejay! Gave me a lot to think about :scratchinghead::thanks:

Man, just remember if you get the veg only spectrum in the Mars style light you will probably get more heat from the light and power usage will be slightly higher with the veg only spectrum.

The 700 I think is a little small for 4x4, I have a 900 full spectrum in a area just shy of 4x4and is doing good, but I think a 1200 would be better for 4x4. The 2 reflectors would cover a 4x4 area better than the 700 Mars

Great thanks kjc.... So there is an advantage of having a led that is a veg spectrum? Will it affect quality/ yield or is just more energy efficient???:thanks::thanks::thanks:

The advantage to having a specific vegetation spectrum LED light panels is for superior vegetative growth. I would not try to flower a plant with specific vegetative spectrum LED light panels unless they also have a switch to turn on flowering specific LED's.

The advantage to having a specific vegetation spectrum LED light panels is for superior vegetative growth. I would not try to flower a plant with specific vegetative spectrum LED light panels unless they also have a switch to turn on flowering specific LED's.

Thanks kjc I think I have a pretty good understanding now.. I think I am going to go with the reflectors and as far as I understand the only big difference between those and the mars are the penetration due to the reflectors being 3w... Correrct? And since I'm going to do try a scrog grow penetration should not be that big of an issue since all my big colas will be on top?

Does this sound right? Thanks!!!!!

Yes, I believe the only 2 differences between the 3 watt reflector series versus 5 watt Mars II series is the reflector series has separate vegetative and flowering switches and the 5 watt Mars II series would have superior light penetration. You are correct, I believe with a ScroG screen light penetration should not be a problem.

Finally get to take some picture from my buddy place. two mar II 1200 and one mar 700 in the center. the farther mar 1200 is the flower spectrum and the other one is full spectrum. Doing a comparisons. there is also 1k air cool hps on the other side.
IMG_212210.JPG
IMG_212010.JPG
IMG_211314.jpg
IMG_210712.JPG
IMG_210515.JPG

Thanks Robert! I guess I have it narrowed down to the mars II full spectrum 700w or 2x reflectors 144x3.... Decisions... Decisions :smokin::hmmmm:
Man if you check out my bottom journal in my signature you can see the reflectors and the Mars II both in action and it may help you decide......:circle-of-love:

Thanks Robert! I guess I have it narrowed down to the mars II full spectrum 700w or 2x reflectors 144x3.... Decisions... Decisions :smokin::hmmmm:

:goodluck:
Hey Moon Man. Let me start by saying I am a newbie. I am working on my second grow. This grow a Northern Lights X Big Bud Auto was started with a 48x3 reflector. I used that 48x3 from seed through the first three weeks. I switched to my Mars II 700W then. The only problem I have had is related to the choice for a tent that I made ~ 3'x2'x5'. Too short for the 700W. But the LED grows well. Just have to keep up with the temps. I also made a bad choice of bucket for my first hempy grow, the reservoir works out to be about a pint of liquid which is used up pretty fast. My suggestion for you is to choose a reflector for starting your plants and then a Mars II 900W when the plants get to be 4th or 5th node. And read as much as you can about the technique you plan to use and make sure you read unfinished journals to find out problems others have had and how they attacked their problems.
As I said, I am a newbie and have temp problems that are controllable as do many others on 420. Good luck on your grow.

:geek:
WJ

Man if you check out my bottom journal in my signature you can see the reflectors and the Mars II both in action and it may help you decide......:circle-of-love:

You have a journal on your bottom?

Back
Top Bottom