Martini's First Grow 5/6/17: Advice & Help Welcomed

re: Martini's First Grow 5/6/17 - Advice & Help Welcomed

Awesome! Tomorrow I'll be gettin the natures Care as well as the 1 gal pots. I am more than willing to learn the soil practice as well, because like I said earlier, I'd like to keep it as natural as I can for the while until I get another room setup. Thanks for being so helpful! Also, I'm sure you looked, I was just interested in the 5 gal pots because I'm only using a 4x8 tent, all the plants will fit in there with the 5 gals? I have 16...thank you

Martin,

I'm glad you are interested in learning the old ways. I think you will find it better. More potent buds and a smoother taste.

If you are going to run two 600 watt lamps you will have no probs housing your ladies.

At 1000 watts, that lamp will adequately illuminate a 4 foot by 4 foot area. You should be able to sneak 12 5 gallon pails under one lamp. 9 under 600 without issue.

You have to worry about odor control and dumping the heat made by the lamps. What have you factored in for these two items?

Cheers

Transplanting your Ladies.

Take the time to break the soil up. Break up all the lumps make it as fine as you can. Chuck out any material like small sticks that haven't fully decomposed. A 5 gal pail is great for this. One handful at a time. Stir it with your hands. Mix in lots of oxygen.

When loading your new pots, you have to figure out how much soil to initially put in so your plants are at the right height. Pack the soil down with a light 6 to 8 Oz of pressure. Set your plant in and fill around the sides using the same gentle pressure.

Once you have transplanted, charge with water, enough so it runs out the bottom. You will notice the soil volume shrinks a little and you many need to top it up.

Water - Tip - If you are in a city and using tap water, know it contains chlorine. Its nice to get rid of this if you can. Don't stress out over it but it is a good thing to do. Chlorine can kill off some of the micro life that is needed in the soil. The best way to do this is fill up a 5 gallon pail with water, let a fish aquarium air pump and air stone run in the water for 24 hours. This does two great things. It forces the chlorine out and adds muchly needed O2 to the water. Your roots will love you. IF you cant do this right away, you can leave water in bright sunlight for a day. That will also burn off the chlorine. Just letting it sit for 3 to 5 days can get rid of it too. Food for thought.

Cheers - Remember, get the potting mix. Not the garden soil. There are 3 kinds. Garden, raised bed and potting. Potting is what you are after.

I have a carbon filter for the smell, and I was thinking of purchasing a small AC unit for the room because I have thought about the heat. I hope my plan for it works, I'm definitely getting the mix tomorrow, didn't have time today, will make sure to get the potting mix.
Also, I just ran into some bugs on my babies, small caterpillar type things, going to upload a pic

image38085.jpg

These little caterpillar or small worm looking things, and you can see bite marks
What are these?

I dunno.

But they need to go. Right away. if you cant kill em by hand, get a food and veggie safe pesticide and put em down at once. You don't want to be fighting this for your entire grow.

Are they all over all plants? They came from your soil not being properly sterilized.

Sorry, I responded right when I got home and looked at my babies and was so hurt seeing the pests! :(
But yes, I have 2 inline centrifugal 6" fans and ducting that I can use to keep the heat down, as well as a portable AC unit, I can run 1000, that doesn't matter to me, whatever is best, I want my ladies happy and comfortable! :)
Tomorrow I'll be doing the soil, so jut the potting mix and nothing else? Take it out of the bag and mix it up properly correct?

I killed the ones I saw, just noticed them today...I see little bite marks too :/ I'm thinking Thorpe or maybe Aphids???and yea I wouldn't doubt it :/ the hydro store I got my stuff from wasn't the cleanest I think :/

If it was me, I'd find the right chemical and blast em now while your plants are small.

Right off the bat, I wouldn't use the rest of that soil. Some bugs can cause REAL BIG grief. I would consider this a priority item.

Yea Thirps my bad lol auto correct, yea, either Thirps or Leaf Miners :/ hope it isn't that!

Very true, it's 12am over here so nothing is open unfortunately, BUT I will definitely be getting the proper chemical tomorrow, also, you are so correct about transplanting, my roots are popping out of the bottom of the cups and twisting, even on my smallest ones, they are showing, so I should've transplanted my large ones a while ago:/

Very true, it's 12am over here so nothing is open unfortunately, BUT I will definitely be getting the proper chemical tomorrow, also, you are so correct about transplanting, my roots are popping out of the bottom of the cups and twisting, even on my smallest ones, they are showing, so I should've transplanted my large ones a while ago:/

Yup this is the learning curve. Its important to try things and learn from them. DONT do what everyone else does. I find there is a large movement of people doing things because the culture told them so. And at the end of the day, its often not right. Listen to your plants. They speak the truth.

So from this boo boo comes knowledge, Its a good thing. Every grow cycle brings more knowledge. Soon you will be able to consider yourself an advanced grower.

Got the items ready!! I get off work in 11 hrs and ready for transplant!! Again, thank you for the help! That's exactly what I want, to be different, mostly all I hear is chemicals/nutes hydro this and that, which is great! But they naturally grow in soil and I know they taste way better so I'd like to see the difference! And in this industry, since there is SO much variations of this flower and plant, the only way to succeed is to be the best! Naturally! Lol
IMG_169628.JPG

You gotta be at Home Depot. :) Many years ago a fellow grower once said to me he changed the name of Home Depot. He called it "Home of de Pot" because you could buy every thing you needed there to grow pot.

- and he was right. Even my first set of HID lights came from there :)

Cheers

Dude,

I don't think you got enough soil. You got 16 four liter pots. That's 64 liters. I think theres only 28 liters in that bag.

If you are thinking of using the other stuff, I really wouldn't. If you have an in-opened bag, take it back and get your doe.

Bugs can be a real problem during flowering. It can really rain on your parade. Using the other stuff you take a big risk.

Hate to deliver bad news but it is what it is.

Cheers.

Hahha that is pretty damn smart, freaking stoners lol come up with the best things! Anyways, I thought I did, the bag said 32 dry qts, so I thought 64 would be adequate...the tubs I got say 1 gal and HD said they are 1 gal, but the tubs say 1 gal (2.96qt)... I did my quart measurements by 4 qts = a gallon and so on, so I thought it would be enough...and I do NOT plan on using that soil again, do you think it was the actual fox farms? Or just where I got it from?

Hahha that is pretty damn smart, freaking stoners lol come up with the best things! Anyways, I thought I did, the bag said 32 dry qts, so I thought 64 would be adequate...the tubs I got say 1 gal and HD said they are 1 gal, but the tubs say 1 gal (2.96qt)... I did my quart measurements by 4 qts = a gallon and so on, so I thought it would be enough...and I do NOT plan on using that soil again, do you think it was the actual fox farms? Or just where I got it from?

Did you get two bags? If so you should squeak by ok.

Sheese. Good thing we didn't have to count over 20. We wouldda had to take our shoes and socks off. :)

Your bug came outta the soil. Unless you live in the country and you carried one in on your clothing.... which I doubt. And from my readings, your not the first one to get a special visitor outta that stuff.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom