Medium for first auto soil mix

kisshell

Hi Guys, Need some advice again.
I just got an auto Sugar cookies yesterday.
I have the following.

Seed and cut mix

Tomato Veg Harb Mix(5 month slow fert)

What would be the best combination?

I know auto requires only one main pot. So now I need to make a Medium soon. How do I go about this in a 3 gal fabric pot. I am thinking 60% tomato veg mix , 30% seedling mix and 10% perlite. Will that be alright to germinate and hold the auto in the pot for all its stages. Won't the nutrient make it difficult in seedling stage?

IMO if you plan to feed from a bottle then I would go with a 4 gallon fabric pot full of quality coco and water everyday with 1/4 strength nutrients designed for coco.

If you want to use soil then I would opt for a Clackamas Coots soil recipe in a minimum of 15+ gallon fabric pot, thick mulch layer, add worms and Rove beetles and water about everyday at 5% of soil volume.
For an autoflower you wouldn't need anything but water and watch it grow.

Since you’re in Australia, I know your options are fairly limited. I like the tomato soil better than the seedling mix. I’m pretty sure in reading the bag the starter mix has synthetic time release “Osmocote) in it, which is just something you have to factor in. The tomato mix is, at least, organic. Consider making your own soil, if you can, good recommendation above. But, the tomato soil will work. I’d only use the starter mix in the starter cup, (it won’t hurt to up pot an auto once), so start it in a small pot and transplant. I would use a larger pot than 3 gallon, more like 5 or better yet 7.5, gallon for an auto in soil.

Since you’re in Australia, I know your options are fairly limited. I like the tomato soil better than the seedling mix. I’m pretty sure in reading the bag the starter mix has synthetic time release “Osmocote) in it, which is just something you have to factor in. The tomato mix is, at least, organic. Consider making your own soil, if you can, good recommendation above. But, the tomato soil will work. I’d only use the starter mix in the starter cup, (it won’t hurt to up pot an auto once), so start it in a small pot and transplant. I would use a larger pot than 3 gallon, more like 5 or better yet 7.5, gallon for an auto in soil.
I have a small grow space so 3 gall is almost the max I can do. I am going to add nut with water when time comes. So for a basic starter, Is it a good idea to make 70% tomato mix with 30% perlite?
I might grow the auto in a small nursery pot with seed mix and later transplant it after about 4 nodes to my main mix?

Hi Guys, Need some advice again.
I just got an auto Sugar cookies yesterday.
I have the following.

Seed and cut mix

Tomato Veg Harb Mix(5 month slow fert)

What would be the best combination?

I know auto requires only one main pot. So now I need to make a Medium soon. How do I go about this in a 3 gal fabric pot. I am thinking 60% tomato veg mix , 30% seedling mix and 10% perlite. Will that be alright to germinate and hold the auto in the pot for all its stages. Won't the nutrient make it difficult in seedling stage?

I went down the Osmocote branded mix path a while ago. In my opinion it’s not really suitable for beginners, or for that matter pros. Some of the issues are:- it’s red-hot straight out of the bag, EC can be up around 4, which will nukes anything you pot up. To overcome this issue just fill the pots and give em a good flush. Second problem is a rapid EC decline within a fairly short time. Third issue is that it just doesn’t have the awesome physical properties of coco, like water-holding capacity and air filled porosity. Long story short I now use coco and Osmocote on a capillary system, a KISS method. No watering, no mixing nutrients, and just an occasional pH and EC check. Beautiful, and the best yield and quality I’ve ever grown. This is pretty over simplified, I could give you my complete recipe if you’re interested. And I’m still using Scott’s Osmocote seedling mix, great product, still needs a good rinse before use. I’ve never done worse than high 90’s% germination.
Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom