Overwatering or needing nutes?

kisshell

This is my first grow guys.
The plants were going good but my best plant has been droppy from yesterday.
I am using the oscomote seed and cut mix .
It does say it has feed for 6 months but don't think it has any npk.

Do you think these plants require cal mag or little nitrogen added ?
Or is this issue due to overwatering. I have just been sprinkling water. The other plant seems fine but is smaller than this one.
Today is the 13th day of the plant.

20220413_182352.jpg

20220413_182350.jpg

20220413_182345.jpg

20220412_225307.jpg

Hard to say much since the bag gives no info on what's in the soil. Almost sounds like a super soil. If the nutes in it are suppose to last 6 months that would get you through a whole grow & then some. That's what Super Soil does too.
Maybe it's a Living Organic Soil ?
@bluter , @nivek will probably know more about this.

Hard to say much since the bag gives no info on what's in the soil. Almost sounds like a super soil. If the nutes in it are suppose to last 6 months that would get you through a whole grow & then some. That's what Super Soil does too.
Maybe it's a Living Organic Soil ?
@bluter , @nivek will probably know more about this.
I thought the 6 months feed is for the growth stimulants and so on which is in the pic of the mix. But not sure what growth stimulants mean.

It does say to add half nutes after plant has grown 3 cm. I have attached the pics of the mix. I read it but I still can't decide. May be I can get advice from this info.

Screenshot_20220413-191643_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220413-191317_Chrome.jpg

It looks overwatered to me. Do you let it dry out between waterings?

Yeah, it says Nutes up to 6 mo. & growth stimulants. But what are they & how much of each is in it ? Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium, Silica, Lime, Worm Castings, Bat Quano, etc. ? If you look at a bag of Fox Farms Ocean Forest it tells you what's in it. You'll probably have to do an internet search to find out what's in it. Then we can determine if it's appropriate for cannabis. Someone here may have used your soil & have the info you need.

It looks overwatered to me. Do you let it dry out between waterings?
Currently I have just been using the sprinkler so haven't fully watered the small pot yet. When I check the weight, It doesn't seem heavy at all. I couldn't have overwatered this plant.

Strange thing is the other plant doesn't seem to have absorbed the water in the bottom as it is always med heavy although the top soil looks dry. That plant is fairly smaller. I am inclining towards nute issue as it does say to start half nute when the plant is 3 cm. My plant is 5 to 6 cm now.

Currently I have just been using the sprinkler so haven't fully watered the small pot yet. When I check the weight, It doesn't seem heavy at all. I couldn't have overwatered this plant.

Strange thing is the other plant doesn't seem to have absorbed the water in the bottom as it is always med heavy although the top soil looks dry. That plant is fairly smaller. I am inclining towards nute issue as it does say to start half nute when the plant is 3 cm. My plant is 5 to 6 cm now.
You need to let them dry, like starting to wilt dry. If they are always med heavy then your tap root is not getting enough air. How dry can you let them get before the next feeding?

When the leaves droop and point down like that they are pointing to the source of the problem, the roots. My bet would be overwatering as well.

Most growers on here don't like the miracle grow type soils, which I'd bet Scott's Osmocote Mix is like. Small plants don't need as much in the way of nutes.

But I'd still bet letting it dry out completely so it is surprisingly light when you pick it up will help get those lower roots back on track.

I might let dry for a day or 2.
Usually I feel like this plant took all the water and was comparatively less weight compared to the other plant. I haven't really let then dry a whole 24 hours. I Usually been sprinkling water 2 to 3 times on day depending how dry the top soil looks like. I also check with the soil meter as it always says dry or moist but never wet.

I will make sure the soil is dry down the soil too this time.

Not just dry on top. It's more important to be dry at the bottom before you water.

A good way to learn is to either repot them in a clear solo cup with drainage holes and keep that cup inside of an opaque one so you can take it out and see the roots (this is my preferred way), or to weigh it daily on a kitchen scale, I use grams. Weigh it daily and note the weight when the leaves droop, then water thoroughly again (not your sprinkling of water on top two or three times a day).

Keep weighing it daily and when the weight gets back down to the level it was one on the day preceeding the droop weight in the first round water it thoroughly again.

The interval should shrink with each cycle until it can drain the water in a day or two, and then it's time to up-pott.

Looking at the first photo my thought was an over-water situation. The mix contains some of the ingredients specific to keeping the soil as moist as possible for as long as possible, especially their use of "Water Crystals".

The 'Scotts Osmocote' is the name of the line of nutrients that Scotts uses in their various soil-mixes. It is available in several different N-P-K ratios depending on the intended use. Most likely for a seed starter soil it would be the companies 4-4-4.

I might let dry for a day or 2.
Usually I feel like this plant took all the water and was comparatively less weight compared to the other plant. I haven't really let then dry a whole 24 hours. I Usually been sprinkling water 2 to 3 times on day depending how dry the top soil looks like. I also check with the soil meter as it always says dry or moist but never wet.
It should take 2 to 5 days for that amount of soil to dry out enough to need watering. Can't say for sure because there are no photos that would give an idea of how deep the pots are or how much soil they actually contain.

I also check with the soil meter as it always says dry or moist but never wet.
Maybe run a test of the meter. Use one of those containers filled with soil but no plant in it. Take a test reading and then add some water. Wait a half hour or so and take a reading. Add some water and wait another half hour, take a test reading and add some water. Keep going until it says wet. Then stop watering and once a day take a test reading. Keep going until it says moist and keep going until the meter says dry.

Write down the date of each test and the result. Sometimes these types of tests can take two or three weeks and it is easy to forget the small changes unless notes are taken. It is worth it to find out just how long it will take the soil to go from wet to dry without a plant in it.

And it is helpful to find out what the readings on the meter mean in relation to how long the soil has been drying out. The meter might be under-reading a water saturated soil as being moist.

I was just so inpatient and read through the forum.
I checked this topic again and @Captain goodvibes had advised to use Nitrosol after week old of seedling.
always use wet paper towel in a warm place, so far this year I have a 100 percent germination rate from my own seeds. When the white tales come popping out plant them tail down just beneath the surface by a couple of mm. You can use Osmocote cutting and seedling mix from Bunnings if you want to grow in soil, they keep it near all the hydro stuff normally. And plant in the tomato mix only after plant needs repotting. Make sure your water is tested for PH, again Bunnings sells the PH testers and adjusters near all the hydro stuff. PH becomes very important if you grow in coco, not so important in soil but for the best possible result always make sure you PH adjust your water if it needs it. Around 6 has proven to be perfect for me. you can use nitrosol as a starter nute when your seedlings are around a week old, I would suggest water only when the top is dry at least an inch and use a mix of 5ml nitrosol to 4 litres of water to start with.
good luck

So I gave quarter strength nute.
Manotec Nitro plus
Nitrogen - 8% : phosphorus - 1.6% : potassium - 3%: Ca-3.4%: Mg - 0.5%

Also added cal mag(4-0-0)quarter strength
Added 200ml of solution to the small pot. Hope it wasn't a bad decision.

The plants looks worse. I messed up. Hope they survive!!
For new or first time growers, whether from seed or an established plant, they say the number one problem is trying to love the plant by giving it to much water.

Without an idea of how much soil is in the containers it is hard to guess how long it will take the soil to dry out enough to need the next watering.

Hello - maybe put some kitchen towels under the pot to draw out excess water more quickly
I often just dunk the bottom half of the pot where the roots will be looking for water, then allow to drain which has the additional benefit of drawing in fresh oxygen to the roots
That way the medium is constantly damp rather than the idea of soaking/drying which can take days for a seedling
I am aiming to give just enough water to last 24-48 hrs max

Your having trouble listening to anyone and look what you did. :Namaste::Namaste::green_heart:

Stop watering the plant for a few days
Def stop feeding added nutes.
You might even just wanna change the soil. I ran into problems like this before and I destroyed the soils ph from overwatering. What you think is not overwatering is overwatering in the 10 degree. 2-3 times per day? Are you in coco? Or soil? If soil those plants are hurting for o2 in the roots zone. Those pics showed above show an overwater plant. Locked out of nutrition. Just take a few ‘quite a few, steps back and use only 6.3-6.8ph water and ONLY water when pot in completely dry. Wet dry cycle is life altering for a plant. Essp that age.

For new or first time growers, whether from seed or an established plant, they say the number one problem is trying to love the plant by giving it to much water.

Without an idea of how much soil is in the containers it is hard to guess how long it will take the soil to dry out enough to need the next watering.
I will try to wait atleast a week. It shouldn't die right with one overwatering? I'll try to figure out how much volume it has.

I will try to wait atleast a week.
Don't try, just wait a week or so. Self discipline and all that sort of stuff.;)

It shouldn't die right with ine overwatering?
Probably not but we don't know what will happen because of the extra nutrients that were just added. The excess water in the soil will slow down the growth rate until what is called the 'wet & dry cycle' is figured out.

I'll try to figure out how much volume it has.
Take a photo from the side so we can get an idea of how tall the pot is. Sort of like the last photo in your first msg but do it so we can see the entire pot from bottom to top. You can measure from the bottom to the top rim and measure the rim from corner to corner if you want.

there's a few guys who used osmocote fert. you might want to search for that. i don't know of anyone who used an osmocote premix media.

it kinda falls in to that miracle grow category. not really a cannabis media but can sort of grow it if you feel like jumping through the added hoops.

Back
Top Bottom