Overwatering or needing nutes?

The problem with these miracle grow type soils, with the little nutrient balls that slowly dissolve into the soil, is that these nutes are designed for petunias and other blooming/flowering plants, but they are not nearly enough to support a fruiting plant such as ours. Later in the bloom stage when there is a desire to do away with most of the Nitrogen being supplied, those balls are mostly that, so they can interfere with the nutritional needs of the plants in a significant way. You will need to feed this grow with a good bloom nutrient later on to be able to keep up with the needs of the buds. For now, this soil will be fine, but be ready for additional feeding needs around the 5th week of veg and especially as you transition to bloom.

I grew fine in miracle grow. The only reason I stopped is because everyone told me to. Lmao. Said it was bad for my bud. So I started buying stuff like fox farm and mothers earth. But truth be told. My plants were always nice green and healthy with the yellow and green bag. Iv used the black bag too. And I couldn really tell the difference on the flower either. Like I said. I was just told it was bad because extended nutrition and you can’t flush it. Idk. I think times are changing lol. But I overwatered 2 times and it destroyed my pre buffered media. But I could be wrong. Bill was the one who helped me knock that crap out the park. Overwatering is very easy and I thought I had dialed in.

The problem with these miracle grow type soils, with the little nutrient balls that slowly dissolve into the soil, is that these nutes are designed for petunias and other blooming/flowering plants, but they are not nearly enough to support a fruiting plant such as ours. Later in the bloom stage when there is a desire to do away with most of the Nitrogen being supplied, those balls are mostly that, so they can interfere with the nutritional needs of the plants in a significant way. You will need to feed this grow with a good bloom nutrient later on to be able to keep up with the needs of the buds. For now, this soil will be fine, but be ready for additional feeding needs around the 5th week of veg and especially as you transition to bloom.
Once the time comes I will be repotting the plant to Oscomote tomato and her mix which does have lot of nutes.

The second plant I am going to repot in this same seed cut mix but feed it liquid nutes. In this way I can also learn and determine which works best for me. Thanks!

Don't try, just wait a week or so. Self discipline and all that sort of stuff.;)

Probably not but we don't know what will happen because of the extra nutrients that were just added. The excess water in the soil will slow down the growth rate until what is called the 'wet & dry cycle' is figured out.

Take a photo from the side so we can get an idea of how tall the pot is. Sort of like the last photo in your first msg but do it so we can see the entire pot from bottom to top. You can measure from the bottom to the top rim and measure the rim from corner to corner if you want.
Hello Mate, I have clicked another pic.
The plant looks to be doing better today. It's less droppy compared to yesterday night.
I never ph before but PH this time to about 6 since this is a coir seed cut mix. My tap water is about 7 ph.
The fabric pot is 3 gal and the bottle is a 1 litre sprayer for size comparison.

20220414_122923.jpg

20220414_122912.jpg

20220414_122904.jpg

20220414_123343.jpg

I grew fine in miracle grow. The only reason I stopped is because everyone told me to. Lmao. Said it was bad for my bud. So I started buying stuff like fox farm and mothers earth. But truth be told. My plants were always nice green and healthy with the yellow and green bag. Iv used the black bag too. And I couldn really tell the difference on the flower either. Like I said. I was just told it was bad because extended nutrition and you can’t flush it. Idk. I think times are changing lol. But I overwatered 2 times and it destroyed my pre buffered media. But I could be wrong. Bill was the one who helped me knock that crap out the park. Overwatering is very easy and I thought I had dialed in.
Did you put the seedling straight to the mix or did you use seed cut mix for seedling stage? Did you ever add extra nutes on these kinda slow fert soil later ? Did you ever had any overnute or deficiency?

Did you put the seedling straight to the mix or did you use seed cut mix for seedling stage? Did you ever add extra nutes on these kinda slow fert soil later ? Did you ever had any overnute or deficiency?
Yes. I planted directly into the soil. No. I just added water. Hose water. Nothing special. As simple as it could be. I was 16-17 at that time. lol. So it was a while ago.

Hello Mate, I have clicked another pic.
The fabric pot is 3 gal and the bottle is a 1 litre sprayer for size comparison.
Looks like it might be 1/2 liter (or 1 pint) container and half filled. It could take 5 to 7 days to dry out enough to need more water with a small plant like that. Give it several more days and let us know how it looks.

If you want to find out some helpful info about Fox Farm check out my current grow journal Pawpaws Medicine Tent I have some links and other info that might help. Im personally a noob grower but I have been doing my homework...wow if they made you do pot homework when I was in school maybe I wouldn't have hung out with the stoners all the time......Naaaa that was the best part of high school

Looks like it might be 1/2 liter (or 1 pint) container and half filled. It could take 5 to 7 days to dry out enough to need more water with a small plant like that. Give it several more days and let us know how it looks.
Hi , I just filled a similar pot and let it dry for refernce weight. I checked its weight which was 131 gm.

The pot with my plant now weighs only 138 gms while the smaller plant where water seems to be stuck is 144 gms. I also have two tomatoes small pot too which were completely watered yesterday nd they are about 220-230 gms.

The plant seems to start dropping a little again but I might just be paranoid. When do you think I should water now.

20220416_120318.jpg

20220416_120312.jpg

Sounds like it's watering time. Make sure to go slowly and keep going to runoff. Let's see gow long it takes them to get to 140g again.

Little plants are so much more delicate when it comes to watering and don't have much in the way of roots. So if they get damaged early there is not much left to rebuild with and it can take a long time to do so. Watch the leaves for watering clues. They will droop either with too much water or not enough, but the droop looks different.

With not enough water the whole plant looks a bit limp and the leaves and stems all lack internal pressure to hold them up. The weight of the pot at this stage is what you want to note if you weigh them daily, and next time you water them just before this point.

An overwatered plant mostly looks OK with the leaves kind of rolling over a bit and pointing down towards their roots showing you where their problem is. If kept too wet long enough root rot can begin to set in and the plant starts to have nutrient issues because, even though the nutes are there for the taking, the roots can no longer take them up to feed the plant. The leaves will start to look a bit pale and degrade from there if steps aren't taken quickly to correct your watering process.

As the roots regenerate, the plant will begin to drain the water more quickly and the leaves and overall structure of the plant will improve. Color will get more deeply green and healthy looking and the leaves will hold themselves up looking to take in the available light. When everything is dialed in, the leaves will reach for the light in a "praying" sort of posture. When you see that you know they are quite happy.

Ideally you want the plant to be able to drain a full watering in 2-3 days, although that interval will start out much longer and depends a lot on your environment. Low humidity and breezy conditions will shorten the time and high humidity and stagnant air will lengthen it.

If the plant can't dry itself out you may have to help it before it's too late for the roots. Maybe repotting in dryer soil, or at least taking the whole thing out of the pot and setting it down on a wad of paper towels, which will help draw out some of the excess moisture.

The ones on the latest photo are looking much better. You can see the lighter color of a drier soil compared to the tomato seedlings next to them. Compare those pics to the first post and you will see the difference in a well watered plant compared to the overwatering droop I mentioned. :goodjob:

How's the runt doing?

The ones on the latest photo are looking much better. You can see the lighter color of a drier soil compared to the tomato seedlings next to them. Compare those pics to the first post and you will see the difference in a well watered plant compared to the overwatering droop I mentioned. :goodjob:

How's the runt doing?
The older but smaller one is also getting better it always seems a little heavier with same amount of medium quantity. I feel like it's root is underdeveloped compared to the bigger one. Thanks for that info. I might repot it tommorow to a new pot same size.
A question I got is, if these seedling mix are same as coco coir. Is it possible to repot to 3 gal with this seedling mix and think it like growing on a coco perlite mix?
Or does the moisture agents and other things make it different then coco. I am also thinking if I should start quarter nutes with them as I felt the last quarter nute I gave made it more happy. It's already been 17 days and 14 days for the younger.

Coco growing is an entirely different animal. With coco you water every day and never let the medium dry out. @Bill284 and @Jon are who I'd tag for their thoughts on coco. Jon's having an issue in his grow right now because his plants are getting too big too fast for what he was planning. Nice "problem" to have. :laughtwo:

So, no, your seedling mix is most definitely not the same as coco. You'd need to monitor pH and probably supplement with cal/mag in coco, but I'll let the two of them weigh in on that medium.

The older but smaller one is also getting better it always seems a little heavier with same amount of medium quantity.
That's the water weight you are noticing, and what you need to get rid of somehow.

I feel like it's root is underdeveloped compared to the bigger one.
Almost assuredly so. That's why I like to get all my plants started in a pair of solo cups. A clear cup with drainage slits cut in the bottom for the plant and then I slip that inside an opaque red one. That way I can look at root development every day and compare and contrast.

My learning curve on watering was shortened dramatically once I switched to this method.

Coco growing is an entirely different animal. With coco you water every day and never let the medium dry out. @Bill284 and @Jon are who I'd tag for their thoughts on coco. Jon's having an issue in his grow right now because his plants are getting too big too fast for what he was planning. Nice "problem" to have. :laughtwo:

So, no, your seedling mix is most definitely not the same as coco. You'd need to monitor pH and probably supplement with cal/mag in coco, but I'll let the two of them weigh in on that medium.
Where do I start. :Namaste:
First thing I'd say is please take the cardboard out of your grow room.
I'm sorry but I had a fire and cardboard always makes me nervous.
Do you have a smoke detector and fire extinguisher?
Please read this thread my friend.

Your bag with a little lady is only 3/4's full.
Your wasting valuable real-estate there.
In my Gorilla Glue clone thread there is pictorials on how to fill pots properly check it out lots of good info there too.
Tell me what exactly is in your pots please.
Is it straight coco or is it a mixture.
If it's straight coco then it's an easy medium to grow in.
But if you added anything to it it gets more complicated.
Coco is simple.
Cal mag first, full nutrients every time set ph to 5.8 ,always keep it wet.
Let me know and I can help hopefully.

Stay safe
Bill

Where do I start. :Namaste:
First thing I'd say is please take the cardboard out of your grow room.
I'm sorry but I had a fire and cardboard always makes me nervous.
Do you have a smoke detector and fire extinguisher?
Please read this thread my friend.

Your bag with a little lady is only 3/4's full.
Your wasting valuable real-estate there.
In my Gorilla Glue clone thread there is pictorials on how to fill pots properly check it out lots of good info there too.
Tell me what exactly is in your pots please.
Is it straight coco or is it a mixture.
If it's straight coco then it's an easy medium to grow in.
But if you added anything to it it gets more complicated.
Coco is simple.
Cal mag first, full nutrients every time set ph to 5.8 ,always keep it wet.
Let me know and I can help hopefully.

Stay safe
Bill
I am thinking of growing one in oscomote tomato veg mix and other one in coco.

I certainly did put less soil in the small auto plant. Don't know if I can add more soil anymore as the young plant has already grown. I firstly put tomato veg mix and made a space about the size of the pot I use for seedling. I kept that space with seedling mix and just watering the seed mix part of the pot for now.The tomato mix is hot and is slow release .

For coco, I gave got a coco coir brick about 15l. I was hoping I could replace coco with the seedling mix but looks like I can't do that.

I am little confused if I should buy the cana coco for first time use or just use the brick.
Cana coco is considerably expensive but it's already pre buffered and clean.
I am thinking of expanding the coco brick and buffer with cal mag I got (4-0-0)
I am only gona use 3 gal pot due to size restriction. I will go trough the above post about how to fill the pot medium. Thanks!

Don't know if I can add more soil anymore as the young plant has already grown.
Cannabis plants are like tomato plants in that they will grow new roots on a buried stem. Many growers will purposely plant a leggy seedling deeper when they up-pot to correct the legginess.

Cannabis plants are like tomato plants in that they will grow new roots on a buried stem. Many growers will purposely plant a leggy seedling deeper when they up-pot to correct the legginess.
That's awesome. Since these are auto, It's already in the final pot so I will add more soil once it goes bigger. So after doing that there will be small part of seedling mix sandwiched by the tomato veg mix. Hope that isn't an issue.

Back
Top Bottom