Mini split

Any experience running a grow room with a mini split a/c heat pump system?

not personally but a friend runs one and really likes it. he uses it both cooling and heating.

while it works decent, he notes it has limits on both ends that get exceeded by the climate. it can't overcome the coldest part of winter or hottest part of summer on its own. he only runs it in the grow room, and a larger unit may do better.

with a little work he is able to grow yr round with it if he chooses. otherwise he shuts down for 3 or so months in summer.

he essentially grows in a wood heated insulated cabin where he lives yr round.

edit: he runs a self contained unit. the next step or two up would be the external/internal unit.

What size does he run?

second from largest before he has to do the inside / outside units. there are several depending on brand. his is rated for a 12 x 12 room. it's effectively in a 8 x 8.

How does he get fresh air into the room.?

passive. he still runs a hefty exhaust fan to outdoor on a scrubber full on 24/7, and runs circ fans inside the rooms. he lets the negative pressure draw air in.

second from largest before he has to do the inside / outside units. there are several depending on brand. his is rated for a 12 x 12 room. it's effectively in a 8 x 8.

passive. he still runs a hefty exhaust fan to outdoor on a scrubber full on 24/7, and runs circ fans inside the rooms. he lets the negative pressure draw passive air

passive. he still runs a hefty exhaust fan to outdoor on a scrubber full on 24/7, and runs circ fans inside the rooms. he lets the negative pressure draw air in.
Passive air intake, sounds good. I'll give it a try.. next thing is I found a unit that has a seer rating of 38 on the heat pump. It's expensive and I wonder if the price is worth the efficiency? Any thought on that?

Passive air intake, sounds good. I'll give it a try.. next thing is I found a unit that has a seer rating of 38 on the heat pump. It's expensive and I wonder if the price is worth the efficiency? Any thought on that?

seer rating alone is not the only thing to consider. it is not a rating of either heating or cooling output.

best advice is get something rated for a larger area than you plan to regulate, then don't run it as hard or at full capacity. you want something with some head room to react to the extremes.

edit : it's important to note they work far better when the grow area is properly built, insulated, and is not the sole source of hvac.

Thanks for all your information and help. I really appreciate it. I'll let you know what I decide in the next few days.
check my edit.

Good words Bluter,
I was determined to buy a mini split with two inside units and the compressor unit outside. I would have to If I could have got anybody I trusted to help with the install.
I already had everything figured out including putting another 240v circuit breaker in my panel and running the wire to the unit. My holdup was my lack of confidence dealing with the freon.

I ended up buying two separate wall/window units (AC only) and installing them in each room. I had to cut holes between the 14 inch gap of the wall studs to install. It worked fine on first one, not so well on the 2nd one as the studs were a little closer together than 14" so I had to remove some wood from the stud.
Figure out what AC to go with and do it! One of the best upgrades you can do. As Bluter said, get the room ready for AC. I insulated mine heavily. Last night went to 40F outside and my room didn't drop past 69F. So if there is a downside it's that I don't get enough separation between between day and night temps.

Back
Top Bottom