Miracle-Grow Enters the Medical Marijuana Market

SweetJane

Scotts Miracle-Gro - YouTube

In a bold new plan, Miracle-Grow is attempting to expand their marketshare into medical marijuana market. View the report from the Wallstreet Journal report above for more details.

I think this is very forward thinking on the part of Miracle Grow Corp :bravo:

smoking has always been mainstream with most folks for some time. this is just a comerical buisness getting on board

I think I'm going to send an email to Miracle Grow and thank them for their position. I would never use their standard product on my marijuana, but it works great on my houseplants!

Well if they actually do get into the hobby grow store business they could provide real products with real support. They may actually do a great service to this Hobby with so many companies who practice the current sales model of Secret Solutions at high prices and formula's with N-P-K that are more like the profile of an ocean, than a hydroponic plant fertilizer, and then they get you to buy and use there fixes generally with poor result for the consumer. In the present form the suppliers have all the advantage it kind of a confidence scam. Competition may help but they could also cash in and just expand the problem.

Wow I think if MG is going to market products for medical maryjane...this could finally bring alittle competition...maybe lowering people like fox farms prices..... We will all save by this happeing.... Cheers for this prop......:peace:

I like it in a general way, even if I don't like chemical companies which employ risky technology in general (and this is only through 2003). If/when they enter the ring it can't help but legitimize the entire industry. They are a name that even Grandma recognizes from Wally World, and probably buys a few times a year herself. Yeah, that would be cool.

But let's not get carried away just yet. Rest assured that if they get in, they will be in it for the money. Obviously EVERYONE is in it for the money in some way, but I would resist the temptation to equate MG selling marijuana oriented products with MG being run by concerned humanitarians. We comprise a market with a well defined need and no small amount of cash, and that makes us ripe for targeted marketing. As 420pharms suggested, they may just see what Fox Farms and the like do and build on it. With their supply chain and massive retail store presence MG could undercut the others by just a few bucks and still make a _killing_. And I'm willing to bet that the money, and not the easing of widespread suffering and overturning outmoded Puritanical laws, is what motivates them. Call me crazy.

That said, they may still manage to turn out a good, clean, and safe product. And they may actually help lower the cost of growing while increasing production. And they may in fact end up lobbying and advertising and raising awareness of the mmj movement. Then each of us gets to decide individually whether that is enough to give them our support (and $) in spite of the fact that they sell Roundup, lay down with Monsanto, lobby for GMO-friendly legislation, etc. I don't think I will since I'm kind of a stickler for such things, but I could certainly understand why people would.

I do give them credit for a ballsy maneuver, though. Whatever happens, I'll def be interested in watching it evolve. I'll just be doing it from a distance is all.

Then each of us gets to decide individually whether that is enough to give them our support (and $) in spite of the fact that they sell Roundup, lay down with Monsanto, lobby for GMO-friendly legislation, etc.

My personal decision is, "Nope." If a one-word answer is too short, lol, then how about, "F*ck 'em?" Them, Monsanto, Wal*Mart, eBay, PayPal... Who else has the world sold its integrity and common sense to lately for tuppence? Screw 'em all, they're vampires of the soul and I do not choose to be bled.

Miracle Grow is operating as usual. When it realized that it was unable to compete in - or in plain language, dominate - a market, it decided to simply buy one or more of the businesses which have a viable and competitive product in that market. As the video head reported, "There are these little niche soil and plant feed companies in Northern California and Jim Hagedorn, the CEO of Scotts, thinks that they can go in and buy some of them and use the existing branding and sales models to grow the company."

Any... service that they do to the cannabis world is purely incidental. They want your money. They feel that they aren't getting enough of it. So they're taking steps in an attempt to "fix" the situation.

WI agree with you tortured soul. Walmart has put. Maw and Paw out of business this is exactly what Scotts is after, shutting down our beloved maw and paw grow and supply shops.

I like this but I dont. Everyone her has their points with being able to get supplies easier, to we dont need it, we got our shops that "specilize" in this matter. For me it's mixed because I dont have a local shop. The closest is just over an hour away but a walmart only 15 mins. Also if these large stores start supplying more of these products and organics and so on, will they start to supply lights, timers etc... I shouldn't say they wont but I cannot see it happening in my area anytime soon. Either way it's a sign of the future with, "out with the old, in with the new" mentality and they just want to get in early and capitalize on the situation as I can only see things involving marijuana getting less restricted and more acceptable.

Scotts is just okay, I noticed the formulas getting chunkier lately and not completely dissolving in my pail.

My wholesale lady put me onto Plantex because it is finer and quicker to fully dissolve (I lack patience sometimes) and they have a sophisticated lineup of products some with NO UREA which is awesome, and some with a CalMG formula included. Their website was kinda lame but the PDF was rather informative and handy if you use dry chem ferts.

I used to use MG back in the day when I was young and lived in the woods and it was all you could get ahold of...all with great results for taste, potency, yield etc. I am all grown up now and still buy MG Organic garden soil and cut it with FF Ocean forest. Great results so far this year and I expect to be able to recycle my soil faster than normal soils like FF or Frog soils.

I'll have some results in about 70 days...we go to 12/12 on Friday night to sex and I will pull a mother out to veg while the rest flower for my winter meds...the mom will provide clones for the spring flower and summer blockbuster outdoor bumper crop.

I just hate supporting big companies. For so many years I've seen grower after grower get burned by Miracle and Scotts... Just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Nute burn. Mostly on seedlings and immature plants, and then on mature plants because of the time release formula and adding appropriate nutes for the plants during either veg or bloom stages. Not saying everyone has bad luck with it, because the mixture of the individual bag varies, I have never and will never recommend it.

I've never used expensive soil. I have used the cheapest out there with nothing in it. Just soil. Then I use the appropriate nutes. I've done this since the very beginning of my growing. Of course there was a learning curve, getting the nutes just right and ph balanced took some time, but after you get the hang of it, there is nothing better. Nute burn is avoidable if you've taken the time to get over that learning curve. ;-) I am happy you have had such great luck with MG though... It's just not for everyone. ;-)

MG is OK if you don't over-do it like most people tend to do...

I guess Im cool with it. Im not a big fan of them but Im sure there is a market. BTW I hate that journalists always make fun of marijuana smokers when doing these stories....

Back
Top Bottom