More pro advice for the newbie

24Merlin

When growing hydroponicly do,es one need to worry about spider mites and other insect,s I really dont want to use pesticides if the grow can complete without them.Also are feminised seeds the type of plants that have seeds after the grow yes or no.What type of autoflowering seeds grow seedless pot.Are Co2 pumps helpfull for hydro growing and do,es the accelerated growth effect potentcy.Just in case i have,nt fielded this ? yet.In the event of long term power failure as long as flowering has occured.Can you cure and still have fairly potent smoke.Answers to these questions will help me and probaly help others As well just to clarify an anecdote I told of in an earlyer posting.Educate to perpetuate it will make you feel great dont go to bed to late not geting engough sleep will make you hate.I want to thank everyone especialy wizhigh and fuzzy duck for the advice and info and for welcoming me into the fold.As us oldtimers sometimes say (keep em flyin)or in this case (keep em growin)Thats all for now 24Merlin over and out

insects can and will attack plant whether in hydro or dirt. Just try to keep you grow room clean and pest free.
Feminized seeds means that the plant "should" be female (the seeds have gone thru some sort of process to make them female). If you end up with seeds after, either you had a male in the room or the plant turned hermie.(i have also read that fem seeds hermie easier, not sure if that is true)
I have read that C02 is only good if you have higher temps in the room, and that it isn't really necessary for a normal grow, though it will help growth but potency I think is more determined by strain, and stress on the plant, not so much by growth rate
If you have that big of a power outage for that long, smoke what you got!! It may be potent, it may not, agian determined by strain and stress, if it is not fully developed then of course it will not be as potent as it could have been.

Spider mites are only a problem if grow room humidity is on the low side, they like dry conditions to breed/spawn in !

Off the top of my head thats sub 40% RH lower then 30% RH ye thats like spider mite loving...

I might be more concerned if the out door humidity was that low & if spider mites exsisted on out door plants which may well prove to be an indoor problem !

You can get organic pesticide control bit more friendly than the chemical stuff :thumb:

Feminized seeds should prove 100% female if grown under optimal conditions, stressful conditions may lead to hermaphrodite tendancys which may produce seed !

Please note that even regular seed can produce hermie traits if stressed enough !

I'm not totally sure about fem autos tho... as thier reasonable new on the market & not really monitored these autos strains for hermie problems... i can not think of any problems just yet with out further research !

Hydroponic growing such as NFT, DWC etc does have a faster vegitve growth rate some where between 30% to 50% faster than growing in soil :thumb:

I've not compared coco coir yet !

In flowering its all the same depending on strain gentics & total lenght of flowering time required tho... but tweaking light timing may induce trichome development than the standard 12/12... thats another story !

Co2 is optional... but may influence total yield if cost & techincal stuff is applyable...

Normally assoicated with high temp grows over 30c, i can not remember techincal details as of yet... but given time, a little research i can provide if asked to a reasonable level... not really seen a great deal of pro grows with Co2 tho :peace:

I've not personally bothered with Co2 myself as i live in a reasonable tame enviroment... but if growing in a place like arizona it might be worth while...

As for potency, well thats all strain related & how you like you trichome development...

The trichome maturity effects potency depending on strain in various ways !

Once viewed under a jewels glass, mini micro scope etc... ya see the the mushroom shaped trichomes.

When the trichome is cloudy its at its peak THC level...

When it starts to turn amber it begins to degrade in THC & forms others such as CBD, CBN to name a couple this forms the more couch lock effect... but thats more related to strain dominate gentics like indica vs sativa...

A very long debate to some depending on individuals requirement for end high/results !

Basically boils down to ratio of trichome development to end high results... depending on what you like & the strain grown... kinda makes things a little complicated :high-five:

pests are less likely in hydro if u keep conditions clean. many pests in dirt grows are already in the dirt wen potted. but pests can affect any grow. just keep conditions as clean and sterile as poss and u should be fine. pests are much easier to tackle in hydro than dirt imo.

u will get accelerated growth in hydro without co2 but adding it will make plants grow like crazy. it makes bud less potent from my experience if u continue to use through flower.

for me dwc or rdwc is the cleanest, and most productable way to grow. ive grown 9oz plus plants in 9 weeks satert to finish ( not including time it takes clones to root in aero cloner). i cant see that ever happening in dirt, maybe someone can show me wrong.

if u need any tips on hydro growing check out my journals.

Back
Top Bottom