Moving container plants outside: Water question

depends on your media.
if you're on bottle nutes you can add some calmag in.

shouldn't be a huge issue.

Our plants are heavy users of calcium and they certainly use a whole lot more than is typically in our tap water. I suspect that your nutrient line includes a large amount of calcium in the mix, so the little bit in your water really doesn't amount to a whole lot.

You will probably find that because of the greater amount of light outside, plants grown out there will have greater nutrition needs as compared to an indoor grow, but compared to a greenhouse grow, you probably will have approximately the same needs. Whatever works in the greenhouse will probably work outside too. I also suspect that you will have to use some of the same water also, as you are not going to be able to count on just rain all through the grow. As Bluter said, get some calmag+... you will probably need it.

it'll be ok as long as you're in a big enough pot.
watch for issues and supplement with compatible nutes if you need.

the rain water shouldn't be an issue unless excessive.

Sorry.. this is my homemade soil.
I'm not using any nutess since transfering to this soil as seedlings. I had minor clawing early.
It was used happy frog plus amendments...
What were your amendments? How much soil?

In soil you wont have an Mg issue.

Depending on what you added to your soil, you should be fine.

I grow plants outdoors and I dont water unless there's a drought.

Rain water doesn't hurt plants.... soooo thankful for that since our veggie patch is like 150' x 50' and our perenial patch in 50' x 50' and 1/2 my girls are in soil and the other half in containers. Let it rain let it rain let it rain. So we don't have to water.

Reason for lower pH in rain water due to not very much Hydrogen in rain water. So let rain water sit out it will adsorb Hydrogen and the pH will rise slightly over time.

Plants have adapted to acidic rain over millions of years. You will be fine with rain water.

Actually yes...the rains in Oklahoma have repeatedly caused blossom endrot in my tomato patch. We are in a weekling deluge pattern right now.
My soil was as follows
72 gallons (parts) used soil...mostly happy frg
8 parts old and composted horse manure
1 part biochar (gallon)
2 cups of each following
Oyster shell
Azomite
Perlite
Peatmoss
AGLIME
Diatomaceous earth
Blood meal
Bonemeal
Kelp
Alfalfameal
It was watered weekly and turned and mixed for a yera before using

Actually yes...the rains in Oklahoma have repeatedly caused blossom endrot in my tomato patch. We are in a weekling deluge pattern right now.
My soil was as follows
1 part biochar (gallon)
2 cups of each following
Oyster shell
Azomite
Perlite
Peatmoss
AGLIME
Diatomaceous earth
Blood meal
Bonemeal
Kelp
Alfalfameal
This was just enough to fill my five kitty litter containers...square buckets

U think they look good?

20210628_173617.jpg

Put some drain holes in the bottom sides of the buckets if you haven't already - oxygen in the root zone VERY important.

You have plenty of Mg and Ca in your soil mix. Way plenty.

The issue is how do we get the micro-herd in the soil to covert the nutrients into soluble form the plants can take up??

The root zone needs oxygen - this is VERY important specially if you're getting a lot of rain so drain holes and aeration in the soil. I only saw a small amount if any aeration in your amendment mix. Likely the used soil has plenty in there looks like in the form of per-lite.

Your plants look good they are gonna get tall - WAY tall. Sativa can get 20 feet tall.

My soil was as follows
1 part biochar (gallon)
2 cups of each following
Oyster shell
Azomite
Perlite
Peatmoss
AGLIME
Diatomaceous earth
Blood meal
Bonemeal
Kelp
Alfalfameal
The basics look good but the volume of soil seems off. Yes, the Happy Frog does have some Perlite and peat moss already mixed in but you mentioned that you started off with 72 gallons (parts) of the Happy Frog and then 8 parts of horse manure. I take that as meaning you added another 8 gallons so the total should be 80 gallons.

I have used the same size Kitty Litter buckets for storing soil mixes and for growing plants in. That size bucket is darn close to 5 gallons when filled to within an inch of the top rim.

Your plants look good they are gonna get tall - WAY tall. Sativa can get 20 feet tall.
bobrown14 brings up a good point. With plants looking as healthy as those they will get taller. If you do not have to worry about them being higher than a fence then transplant into the larger pots. Remember that many growers feel that the bigger the pot the bigger the plant.

But if you want to keep the plants from getting to tall then keeping them in the buckets will tend to keep them from getting to 20 feet high. Whatever you decide to do try to fill the pots up to within and inch or so of the rim. The micro-organisms will make use of the added soil and then they feed the plants.

With about 6 more weeks before flowering they can put on a lot of growth.

Good luck and have fun watching them grow.

How can I judge when they are ready for bigger pots? I know some signs of root bound, but don't want to wait too long. Will I be as well off to just plant in the ground? Oklahoma's weather is a bit much. Wind, rain, drought, hail, you name it. If I used fabric pots should I use my soul that's not aged? Idont have any hard soul and not much of the other. I suppose I could mix happy frog and ocean forest or some thing.

How can I judge when they are ready for bigger pots? I know some signs of root bound, but don't want to wait too long. Will I be as well off to just plant in the ground? Oklahoma's weather is a bit much. Wind, rain, drought, hail, you name it. If I used fabric pots should I use my soul that's not aged? Idont have any hard soul and not much of the other. I suppose I could mix happy frog and ocean forest or some thing.
The only reason we stay in smaller pots is to build up a rootball in that area by restricting the space. It is only when those roots have developed to the point that the plant can use all the water you can get that soil to hold, in one day, that it is time to uppot. When this happens, you have lost the time buffer that soil provides for you, and you can be assured that the roots are as strong as they are going to get at that size level, and it is time to uppot. If it is still taking your plants 3-4 days to drain all of the water, it is NOT time to uppot.

Back
Top Bottom