Must I vent through roof?

I vent out my window. I cut a sheet of plywood and cut a hole. My vent goes to a corner of my house and then 30 feet up to the top of my roof.
20191116_103539[1].jpg
20191116_102416[1].jpg

Why do you run it all the way to the roof?
3 reasons, We have a grand kid living with us, My wife doesn't want to smell it, I have enough ducting. What is funny, The condensation in the ducting was making a funny noise. Guess the fans were pushing air through water in the low spot. Poked a couple pinholes and fixed it.

If you don't own it I can understand wanting to use a window. If you own it just bore a hole through the rim joist like a dryer vent. Going through a window ruins your building envelope in that room. Which increases your heating/cooling loads for the rest of the house. Closing off doors and air dampers to less used rooms is an antiquated practice that doesn't actually provide any fuel savings. It just makes that room cold which in turn leaks cold air through the uninsulated interior walls into the adjoining rooms.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to have a run of duct that is collecting water in it. It's poorly hung and operates inefficiently.
If you can still smell your exhaust, your doing wrong. Plain and simple.
Single pass scrubbing is done all around the world on an industrial scale for stuff that's far worse than the smell of your plants.

I run two 4x4 flower tents with single pass scrubbing with zero smell.

My grow closet will be in my basement. Cant I run my exhaust line out of the cellar window? I live in the country,(1.5 acre zoning with woods), it would be in the rear as well. Running vents to the roof will be a problem
Yes. Just like a cloths dryer is often vented through a basement window. You can even buy the insert for the window from the local hardware store.
3 reasons, We have a grand kid living with us, My wife doesn't want to smell it, I have enough ducting. What is funny, The condensation in the ducting was making a funny noise. Guess the fans were pushing air through water in the low spot. Poked a couple pinholes and fixed it.
Put a charcoal filter in the grow closet. Bolt on the fan or blower and have it push the air right back into the closet. If you are running the fan all the time during flowering that takes care of the smell and solves your wife's objection. Or, if you are trying to reduce the heat inside the closet then vent back into the basement room or the basement itself.

As for the water in the ducting, there should not be any. Best to figure out why it is there before proceeding much further.

Have a good day.

If you don't own it I can understand wanting to use a window. If you own it just bore a hole through the rim joist like a dryer vent. Going through a window ruins your building envelope in that room. Which increases your heating/cooling loads for the rest of the house. Closing off doors and air dampers to less used rooms is an antiquated practice that doesn't actually provide any fuel savings. It just makes that room cold which in turn leaks cold air through the uninsulated interior walls into the adjoining rooms.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to have a run of duct that is collecting water in it. It's poorly hung and operates inefficiently.
If you can still smell your exhaust, your doing wrong. Plain and simple.
Single pass scrubbing is done all around the world on an industrial scale for stuff that's far worse than the smell of your plants.

I run two 4x4 flower tents with single pass scrubbing with zero smell.

What is a "building envelope?"
My dryer vents out a window.
The window that the room would vent out is under a deck. Does that matter?
What is "single scrubbing?"
You are saying that with a carbon filter I can vent back into the house?
How do we keep intake fans from venting light?

Yes. Just like a cloths dryer is often vented through a basement window. You can even buy the insert for the window from the local hardware store.

Put a charcoal filter in the grow closet. Bolt on the fan or blower and have it push the air right back into the closet. If you are running the fan all the time during flowering that takes care of the smell and solves your wife's objection. Or, if you are trying to reduce the heat inside the closet then vent back into the basement room or the basement itself.

As for the water in the ducting, there should not be any. Best to figure out why it is there before proceeding much further.

Have a good day.
I had some plywood laying around so cut it, No need for charcoal filter, It runs out the roof top area. Fan does not run all the time. Only kicks in when heat rises to a set point then kicks off. I suspect the water is condensation forming in the low point of the ducting. When humidity rises a dehumidifier kicks on but moist air will exhaust when extractor fans kick in. Keep in mind I do have some 40 feet of ducting. Wife even said the neighbours will smell it and phone the police. I said OK. Let them. The police are going to ask how many plants and they will say we don't know. Then the police will say when you know call us back. Here in BC. Canada we can legally grow 4 so long as they are out of sight. Told the wife if she wants her smoke then the price is 200 an ounce or free if she puts up with a smell for 2 months per year in the winter. It's not like she is cutting the lawn or picking blueberries or doing any yard work this time of year.

Under a deck is not ideal, but definitely not a deal breaker, it will work ok. The problem is if too much wind blows up under the deck it will raise the static pressure at the vent outlet reducing or stopping flow. It's not terribly common but I've seen it a few times with both furnace and dryer vents so it does happen it's not just a theoretical possibility.

My tents vent into the return air for the rest of my house. This scavenges any available heat from the tent exhaust and redistributes it to the rest of the house. I don't have to turn on the gas furnace until a month or more later than normal now. In the summer the heat from the tents gets removed by the central AC rather than an inefficient portable or window Shaker unit.

I don't use an intake fan. No need if your exhaust and ambient conditions are done correctly. They can be easily light proofed with a small piece of duct connected to the end with a couple S bends on the floor or a 90-180° bend. Cover the intake side with pantyhose to keep bugs and dirt out.

@Edzzed your duct is sweating on the inside because it's not insulated, it drops below the dewpoint and slowly fills with water. Poking holes in the duct to drain water is.... Well it's not good lmao. Correctly pitching the run would help deal with the water that shouldn't be in there but it's still going to run back down to your fan which can't handle water in it so it's bad no matter what.

My grow closet will be in my basement. Cant I run my exhaust line out of the cellar window? I live in the country,(1.5 acre zoning with woods), it would be in the rear as well. Running vents to the roof will be a problem

How far into planning have you gotten? Are your plants already growing? Do you have a budget? What volume are you thinking of? You can buy solutions that depending on what your time is worth are cheaper than building things from scratch.

I grow a 1 1/2 pounds of bud in 4 1/2 months soup to nuts with a temporary set up in a 4x4 tent, lights, extractor fan, and a filter. It’s not legal here, so I have to take sensible precautions. I vent into the room that I’m growing in. It’s not a big deal. If I want more air, I open a window. There is no smell with a decent filter. There is no light leak from a tent. If I was doing this professionally, continuously, or on a larger scale, I would have a different set up. I’m sure I could do this in less time, but I’m not really bothered. I’m happy I don’t have to buy it. This is a very good way to introduce yourself.

@Edzzed your duct is sweating on the inside because it's not insulated, it drops below the dewpoint and slowly fills with water. Poking holes in the duct to drain water is.... Well it's not good lmao. Correctly pitching the run would help deal with the water that shouldn't be in there but it's still going to run back down to your fan which can't handle water in it so it's bad no matter what.
I know I get it but it's more to do with our location and the humidity we have. We are 7 miles from the USA and I can just barely see the Pacific ocean from our sundeck. As the plants mature they tend to create more humidity in the tent. I can feel it when I unzip the tent. The fans send humid air out the ducting. Probably wouldn't have the issue in summer with dew temps

Why do you think you have to vent to outside? Many folks vent into the same room even, not like houses are exactly air tight so it still is exchanging the air.
How far into planning have you gotten? Are your plants already growing? Do you have a budget? What volume are you thinking of? You can buy solutions that depending on what your time is worth are cheaper than building things from scratch.

I grow a 1 1/2 pounds of bud in 4 1/2 months soup to nuts with a temporary set up in a 4x4 tent, lights, extractor fan, and a filter. It’s not legal here, so I have to take sensible precautions. I vent into the room that I’m growing in. It’s not a big deal. If I want more air, I open a window. There is no smell with a decent filter. There is no light leak from a tent. If I was doing this professionally, continuously, or on a larger scale, I would have a different set up. I’m sure I could do this in less time, but I’m not really bothered. I’m happy I don’t have to buy it. This is a very good way to introduce yourself.
I have a large garage utility rm. I cut a hole in the ceiling. Gable ends sealed have a ridge vent. Hot air rises. Easy peasy. Also, weather-stripped entry door does a decent job as long as you don't open the storm door to fast and then you have to know what you get a whiff of.

Oh...I just took measurements yesterday, so the absolute beginning. 31 inches x 62 x 87;
96 3/4 cubic feet. Haven't even cleaned it yet. Its an interior closet in the gym in the basement.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191230-074410_GOM Mix.jpg
    Screenshot_20191230-074410_GOM Mix.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 76
I don't know but figure that it is how well the house is sealed up to minimize exchanging hot air into the outside and bringing in cold air during the winter and exchanging cooled off air into the outside and bringing in hot air in the summer. Why spend the money to heat or cool it and then blow it outside and bring back more air that has to be heated or cooled.

For the most part, probably not but I see @TurboBucket covered these first two points.

One pass through a filter. Based on reading articles in the newspapers and on-line it is what most commercial operations call the discharge of smoke or smells from their buildings, furnaces, boiler operations. Removing smoke particles from burning fuels to power equipment or burning trash in an incinerator.

A double scrubbing would be capturing all the exhaust and pushing it back through another filter.

In this case it would be one pass through a charcoal filter to remove the odors from the air.

Yep. The charcoal or carbon filter removes the smells. Bonus would be to pull the air into the filter and then have the blower push it out. Put a filter sleeve on the charcoal cannister and that would also pick up some of the dust and small dirt particles and remove them.

Couple of "S" turns in a few feet of flexible ducting but it might not be necessary if there is a charcoal filter along the way. The filter would block the light.

A lot of it will fall into place as you go along and look at what others have done.

Back
Top Bottom