MVortex's Perpetual Thread For A 4x4 Tent & RDWC

476E5053-2863-4970-A735-1C832BE7D7C9.jpeg

Full look before buttoning her up.

Again, apologies for the blurple wash, but you get the idea for the setup she’s in at least.

Clones taken, plants topped. We went from a bush fest to, "hey, where'd everybody go?" in a pretty quick minute.

Took 2 clones per plant. The strongest tip from node 1, and the strongest tip from node 2. Of course we're again behind the curve (damn these hydro girls grow so fast, sometimes you forget that.) I should have topped them 10 days ago, if not a full 2 weeks ago. DP lost nodes 5-9, Blue lost nodes 5-8, and both Strawberry Lem's lost nodes 5-7. (Of course they all lost nodes 1/2 for the quad.)

Needless to say the flip isn't going to be far off. Once I get the remaining tip spread out over the next couple of days, they're all going to be hanging past their containers. I may even have to supercrop a few of the nodes to get them bent down. It's going to be a bit of a battle, but it is what it is and I'll get through it to the good stuff.

The short of it all is there is a LOT more to get done before having to leave for 5 days at the end of the week.

The cloner is up and running with 8 clones, GDP is settled in on the bigger side of the "Dev Lab". Other than the above training the only big ticket thing left is to get my Lab run setup for auto watering. If you haven't been following that, I have a watering setup in place, but it isn't on a timer. I've been using a 17gal tote for the res which gets me a couple full watering runs and the in between for a smaller container. I'm going to bump that up to a 27gal, which will get me through the time away and then will be used on the next run in that tent as well.

I did take some pics of the sad gals. I'll upload them tomorrow, as well as get a shot of how they are when I check up on them.

Oh, one other note on the girls. Someone, and I'm not sure exactly who yet, smells like a really sweet lime. Almost lime with maybe honey? Whatever it is, whoever it is, it smells wonderful. :D

Now it's time to hit the shower. Game over man. Game over!

What can a few weeks in hydro do?

Dec 10th:

1578943540189.jpeg

Just 4 short weeks later:

D0D329F8-6820-4CE8-A1EA-97DA39C0F006.jpeg

DP in the back right was close to 2ft tall. Keyword: "was."

Haven't had time to do anything other than a quick check to make sure nothing blew up. Will be on it after bit, and back with a couple more pics.

In other news, the clones are, well, clones. Little droopy this morning, but they should come around. "They" say you don't need a dome or anything with the aero style cloners. I use a dome anyway, just to try and keep the humidity up top more elevated than it would be without.

Cloner is set up with 2g/gal of MegaCrop, with 2ml/gal of calmag, and a little bit of dip n grow for good measure.

Back to the grind n bug hunt for now. Well, it's not a bug, it's a feature. :D

476E5053-2863-4970-A735-1C832BE7D7C9.jpeg

Full look before buttoning her up.

Again, apologies for the blurple wash, but you get the idea for the setup she’s in at least.

Keep an eye on her bucket temp ...I got lazy and raised the plant vs. The lights once and really stunted growth ...

Keep an eye on her bucket temp ...I got lazy and raised the plant vs. The lights once and really stunted growth ...

Good call. :)

This wasn't really a plant vs light issue, but a drain height vs top of res height and getting gravity to do it's job. lol

I have a floor fan to add in before long (not really needed quite yet), as well as another oscillating fan. The fun part of the second oscillating fan is going to be the fact that the poles are on the other side off the velcro wall. Will have to get creative or something to get the fans in opposite corners.

The floraflex "matrix" (the round ones) trays are here. I just took a minute to add one to the top of the bucket, and give it a quick test.

Looks like the water should kick on shortly, so I'll give it a few and check how it's going. Wish I didn't have to drip it for 30 minutes, but whatever. I guess if it's really that big of a deal I could swap around my other digital timer and use a mechanical one there. Where the other digital one is right now isn't overly critical at this time to have exact timing down to the minute/second/day/etc. (I was just being lazy. lol)

Girls have experienced their first taste of bondage. Also cleaned up the backwards fans, etc.

Need to get some netting or support structure in place. I was thinking about the Durban Poison and how she's bigger than the others. I'm thinking I might top the ends off the main nodes, for more of a manifold/mainline shape. That might give the others just enough time to catch her, and be able to delay the flip a bit. Because really, now they are topped and strapped down, they're not ready to flip. DP's got long main nodes, but the spacing along them isn't near as tight as it was on her main trunk. Give her a top on those ends, and see how she goes from there.

What can a few weeks in hydro do?

Dec 10th:

1578943540189.jpeg

Just 4 short weeks later:

D0D329F8-6820-4CE8-A1EA-97DA39C0F006.jpeg

DP in the back right was close to 2ft tall. Keyword: "was."

Haven't had time to do anything other than a quick check to make sure nothing blew up. Will be on it after bit, and back with a couple more pics.

In other news, the clones are, well, clones. Little droopy this morning, but they should come around. "They" say you don't need a dome or anything with the aero style cloners. I use a dome anyway, just to try and keep the humidity up top more elevated than it would be without.

Cloner is set up with 2g/gal of MegaCrop, with 2ml/gal of calmag, and a little bit of dip n grow for good measure.

Back to the grind n bug hunt for now. Well, it's not a bug, it's a feature. :D
Gotta love the fast growth of Hydro.

C8139E7D-F4E6-4824-8B9C-78D2FD12AED0.jpeg

Doom! Impending DOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!

BEA97B67-2C2D-4E90-AB4B-F3E0B31DC933.jpeg

Oh noes!

0EB4DC32-7FBB-4216-96D5-6B128376935A.jpeg

Where did they go?

0FE72656-A16E-4DCB-A7A4-46ABA5FC0EDE.jpeg

Blue Dream strapped down.

EF633BD2-0320-4E97-93CF-CD30ED07A165.jpeg

Durban Poison needs a safe word.

B702429F-B616-4210-A864-B6BF4A4C89E3.jpeg

Both Strawberry Lemonades captured in the full shot taken yesterday. Already thickening back up after the snip.

Everybody was turned back up to the light by the end of their day cycle Sunday when they were snipped. Their bonds could use some adjustment already, and once I get the res changed (water is currently mixing) in a bit I will be doing just that. You can see the jump the DP has on the rest, and why I'm probably going to top the end of each main branch.

Once everybody is spread out, I'm going to get to putting in some additional training supports for tucking purposes.

EF633BD2-0320-4E97-93CF-CD30ED07A165.jpeg

This pic from Sunday, just after I strapped her down. Note where the ties are located.

B702429F-B616-4210-A864-B6BF4A4C89E3.jpeg

Now this one just 2 days later. It's not great, but certainly can see the growth on the ends in just a short 48 hours.

I've adjusted the ties on the girls tonight, and after a break for a few minutes now that I've hauled all 18 of those 25gal totes full of Christmas decorations back to their storage spot, I'm going to get back to it and figure out what I'm going to use for support, and how I'm going to mount it.

My original plan to use my individual bucket supports is out the window because of how the new plumbing is ran.

I wanted to be able to harvest an individual plant easier, without having to cut everything all out. I think at this point, and being pressed for time, I'm just going to have to suck it up and deal with it. I think I can run a single net across the front for the 2 strawberry lemonade, as they should be about the same time (in theory.) The back two are pretty close in flowering times as well, so maybe it all works out in the end.

While I was adjusting this evening, I really think I'm going to have to cut the tips off the DP and let her fill in that way. She's already to the sides of the tent with the latest adjustments, and ready to crowd her neighbors on the other tips.

That being the case, and I don't see any other way around it, I'll cut her back enough so that it evens up with (or is just a hair short of) the other three.

I do suppose my other option is to get the net on and start tucking, and maybe I can bend those tips back into her own space.

No, I haven't decided yet. Which is probably good seeing as I've been busier than heck since. No bueno. No bueno at all.

Out tonight, not much I can do about anything tomorrow during the day, then I'm out til middle of the week. So it may just have to be cross your fingers time and deal with whatever comes to be.

Hoping not, but nothing that can be done about it all. (Except a supercrop. :rofl:)

The girls have survived my absence. Blue had a yellowing fan, will have to get a pic for thoughts. Other than that, and her being the picky one, they are all well and have grown. It's probably going to take me a couple hours to get things back on track. Either way, they aren't going to be very far from getting flipped. We'll see how we are as they get spread back out. May have to give one more snip to them to get them in check, which would be more of a mainline/manifold, but whatever. It is what it is, and it'll all smoke good. :D

More later, but wanted to give a quick catch up.

So we went from this...

B3B62E31-B29D-4B78-9952-74EF5331C516.jpeg

Well, not quite, since I already had started in on the front left (strawberry lemonade) one when I remembered to snap a pic.

And ended up with this...

11D4B8E0-1A21-473B-9B5E-8907935A4152.jpeg

EE1FE153-9509-4F48-9B39-9C226CACA0E5.jpeg

This is the front left Strawberry Lem again. Yes, that's the blue tape of shame, but it's been there since last week.

So I've got them pretty much cleaned up, and spread back out. Had to supercrop in more places than I would have liked, but it is what it is. DP's a mess. She was so branchy I just gave in and started thinning out nodes. Blue ran into an accident, so she's missing an end node. I bent around one of the branches at the end to keep going a bit, but whatever.

I'm going to let them breathe a bit, change the res and up the food tomorrow (a day early, but I got wrangled into an unexpected event Saturday), give everything a once over Sunday, and then flip them to flower Monday. By the time the DP stretches, she's going to be a handful. My fault for misjudging her growth rate and not getting her trimmed and trained soon enough.

Oh yeah, I forgot about blue’s little issue...

BF57FB28-EF59-48F9-835E-436DBA39CA32.jpeg

Good thing the feed is bumping up to 6g/gal with tomorrows water change. Hope it’s enough.

Nope, no nute solution bumped her.

To get to that leaf in particular, I would have to be behind the tent (with about an 18" gap to the wall) and using the "D" shaped access point.

I'm sure it's some kind of deficiency, just haven't looked it up yet to see which. Haven't taken the time since I'm about to head down and do a res change, and I'll be upping the dose of MC to the 6g/gal mark anyway. (Which should resolve it.)

As for the leaf, it got clipped as part of the defol/training catch up yesterday. :)

I guess I could take a minute to look it up.

[cue the jeopardy music]

And we're back. Y'all get to read right through it, but it was about a 10 minute lapse.

Anyway, it looks like we have a potential issue with...

an iron deficiency. :rolleyes:

Consulting our handy dandy chart, iron should be available all through the hydro range. I'm also using calmag that has 1% iron as well, so it just doesn't seem to make sense. However, after looking over hundreds of images, that seems to be what best correlates to the issue being seen.

Well, when in doubt....

Up the Irons :headbanger:

Water has been mixed up, now letting it ferment/cook a bit.

Took 5gal from the barrel (that started with 50gal), mixed everything into the 5gal. Seemed to work alright, no issues with the following mix:

- 100ml pro-tekt (2ml/gal)
- 200ml botanicare cal mag+ (4ml/gal)
- 300g mega crop (6g/gal)

Wait, wut?

That's right. After the lower dose of calmag+ last time, and no protekt, I'm back to protekt. However, note the ratio there of 2 parts calmag to 1 part protekt.

"Why? WTF, dude?"

It's really simple math. Protekt is labeled at 0-0-3, but that potassium is more like 3.8 (hat tip: @farside05 for that.) What I needed was a bit more calmag (which in turn means a little more iron, see above Fe def) than the last dose. I wanted to use 4ml/gal of calmag+, thus I needed something to counter that increase in nitrogen to keep things square. That keeps it close enough ratio wise to not throw things off. It worked out pretty well, and didn't take much pH down to get it into range (30ml for 50gal, so not bad at all.)

The end result is the additional iron from the calmag+, as well as keeping the general same N:K ratio as straight MC.

The solution seemed to take the length, with nothing falling from suspension. Dumped the 5gal super mix back into the barrel, put the paddle mixer to it (using my super duper hammer drill instead of the Milwaukee cordless I use for the buckets) and got it super mixed in, then ran the pH. (Speaking of which, my pen is reading about .4-.5 higher than actual, and I really should look at getting a good one.) Then I stuck my pump in there, and now taking a break while letting it mix further. I'll go check the pH again, then do the drain and fill thing.

95868246-ce49-4218-9de6-b2ea514a6a4f-jpeg.1989018

(Image for visual reference)

Something I've been thinking about when changing water the last few times has been draining. It's tricky with plants in place, including training, to get as much water out as possible. Taking a lid off is a bit cumbersome, but whatever.

I'm thinking I could maybe add a 1/2" bulkhead to each bucket, connect them together, and drain them that way. It's either that, or maybe adding it up top to where I could run a pipe down to the bottom to suck the rest out with a shop vac? Not 100% sure yet, but has to be a way to get it done.

Back
Top Bottom