MVortex's Perpetual Thread For A 4x4 Tent & RDWC

lol. i dry and re-use my paper towels for cleaning grow equip too.... :p

Might as well. They get wet, I dry them. If I didn't, I'd burn through way too many rolls. :laugh:

New bottles of calmag, and Z7 showed up yesterday.

Definitely were needed. I kinda blew through the Z7 a bit much early on, but won't be running out anytime soon now. :)

Picked up a 3rd tent yesterday, and it should be here mid-week or so. This will be the new home for the GDP, as well as clones, seedlings, very early vegging, a few mothers, drying, etc. Good all around extra space.

Lighting will be basic to start. Other than the GDP, it won't need much really. I have a backup light that is enough to flower out the GDP, so good enough for that. I also have some LED strip/shop lights that will work for the rest.

As seen on TV in my other thread:

cool-grows-4x3x6-jpg.2018545

Going to bump the feed up from 3g/gal to 4g/gal this evening. Will be mixing it into about 5gal of new water, and topping it all off with that instead of doing a full 50gal change. Will probably only do full changes every other week, and balance in between as needed. It's plenty enough water for that, especially now in early veg.

Durban is about ready for a top, Blue is close. Both Strawberry Lemonades are right behind them as well.

Got some nice scrog netting in the mail with the other stuff yesterday too. 3.5" spacing, and one with 6" spacing. Going to run a main level with the 3.5", and then an upper support level with the 6".

However, I'm going to make it in 4 sections so there is one for each plant. Then I can take plants out as they finish, without disturbing the others. To do this I'll have a square PVC frame that is 4x4 around the outside, and then quartered. Tie net to main frame, cut off and pull when done.

This works like individual screens, but takes up less space underneath, and therefore will work better around the buckets and plumbing. :)

Thanks. :)

I think it will serve its purpose(s) well. My Lab tent is the same brand, as is my 4x2 that's out on loan for who knows how long, and they're fine. Not gorilla, but all things considered they're pretty good for the "budget" market.

The big side is 3x3, and the side is 1x3. Will be a nice spot for a few bonsai style moms on the bottom level, seedlings on the top. Looking forward to it, and getting the runt out of here and into there. :laugh:

I think so too. I wasn't going to do it, and was just going to make due or throw something temporary together. Then I thought it through, and figured out how much use I would get from the purchase.

The space was obviously needed, even though I'm going to get the eye roll from the wife. :laugh:

34E6F19F-0D66-4A68-A9DE-BAE617AB9DD0.jpeg

D008DC5A-EC5C-4967-8ED7-EFD1F8C2569E.jpeg

In the middle of bumping up their feed from 3g/gal to 4g/gal, so thought I'd grab a pic.

For the observant, yes I've got a humidifier running in the back, as well as the res/towel/wick thing going on too. Trying to keep the humidity up.

For those really, really paying attention, yes I see the irony.

Quick backstory to catch that up, my other tent has been running too high, as well as the entire room (which was 70%), so had to pick up a dehumidifier. Dehumidifier keeping the room itself at 50%-55% lets me keep the Lab tent at 78F/56%, and this tent with the RDWC is running 76F/62%. Needless to say, we're ok on the VPD for now.

BD and DP are complaining they're hungry, hence the feed bump. Of course no good deed goes unpunished, and I had to do the monthly cal on the Blue Lab pH probe before bumping the food. Thankfully it's simple, and doesn't take but a few minutes. Just figures it would start the blink when I was tight for time.

DP will most certainly be in for a topping this week sometime. BD should be in the same boat. SL's shouldn't be far, if at all, behind them. Which means I need to get moving on training supports, and cross my fingers that being gone 4.5 days won't really impact training. It will some, I'm sure. I know what happened when I missed just 2 days in the Lab tent. Granted those were autos, but growing in veg is still growing in veg.

I'll be nervous about it until I'm not, and being away 7-10 days into training wasn't something I would have put on my "want to do" list. It is what it is, and can't be helped. I may be able to have someone check on them for me, but that will just be 1.5 days into it. Other than that, I'll have to play catch up the moment I get my foot in the door. Ugh.

Situation normal. Veg in progress, and nothing spectacular to show at the moment. No news is good news, just sayin.

On that note, the snip is coming up for DP tomorrow. I was counting her nodes yesterday and we're definitely ready. Of course I was more focused on adding water to the humidifier, so forgot to count up anyone else.

BD is close, and even though the SL's are a tick shorter, Their node spacing is a little tighter too. So I need to do a count and see.

3rd tent arrived today, and will be my seedling/clone/baby veg/prep/multi multi-purpose tent. Dunno what to call it yet, but maybe LabJr or something. I dunno. I'm sure I'll start an on-going thread for that one too, so I don't have to spread it across this one and the main Lab.

Water is good, right where I thought it would be for 4g/gal mark. I tell ya though, that CalMag and Silica bump the ppm up a bit. Using a 1g/1ml/1ml ratio of MegaCrop, ProTekt, and CalMag (so 2g/2ml/2ml, etc) it seems that mix runs about 310-320 ppm (700 scale) per 1g mark. So it was 640 for 2g, and 950 on 3g. On the mark, for 4g level its running 1260.

Plants are happy. A lower leaf was having issues on the DP, but that was before the bump up to 4g/gal. I'll get a pic of it later and post it here, and in the MC thread as well.

Alrighty then.

First minor issue is DP:

F9A6B0B6-8AC9-400A-96C8-40E2B4298FAD.jpeg

3701FCAF-B4AB-42AD-91DD-06177E58E4C1.jpeg

44BFEBEE-74AD-41F7-B509-76BEB0013131.jpeg

This started when I had the MC dose at 3g/gal. (Plus 3ml each of CalMag and ProTeKt.)

I bumped the feed to 4g/gal (4ml/4ml) Saturday. No change.

Water is at a pH of 5.8, 71F, and EC is 1.8 (TDS 900, PPM 1260).

Air: 60%RH at 77F

I was thinking Mg def, but not 100% certain on that. Especially with the extra calmag supplement on top of 4g/gal of MC.

Next little issue is the GDP runt.

98093A45-C229-4307-8B20-3D94486EA812.jpeg
99A4BCAF-1E09-42ED-8E40-792529436255.jpeg

I'd say she needs more food, but yet she's so small and already on 4g/gal, same as the bigger girls.

She's still in a solo cup, so maybe she's getting bound up a bit?

My plan is to move her into a 3.5gal bucket Saturday.

Confirmed in the MC thread.

a) up the feed to the 5g/gal mark already. :morenutes:

b) GDP got tight shoes on, so get her a new pair. :laugh:

Feed has been increased. Pulled out about 3 gallons from the res and into a bucket, added in 60ml of calmag, and then 60g of MegaCrop. That should put it just over 5g/gal (about 5.2, for the math inclined) and probably in a good spot.

These girls are all ready for a topping. I'll have to get to that Friday evening, along with setting up the GDP runt's new home.

Oh yeah, added... Z7! We ain't forgetting that shit again. :laugh:

So, I took 3gal from the res, added in the calmag, then added Mega Crop. Did NOT add any ProTeKt.

So here's the question for the bonus round:

"How much pH down was added to that 3gal mix?"

So, I took 3gal from the res, added in the calmag, then added Mega Crop. Did NOT add any ProTeKt.

So here's the question for the bonus round:

"How much pH down was added to that 3gal mix?"

Not a drop.

Now onto the fun for this evening and weekend. Might as well work, can't dance and it's too wet to plow.

On the list, no particular order yet (not all are RDWC tasks):
- build a 1ft tall riser for backup tent**
- setup backup/seedling/clone tent
- setup recirc for the dutch bucket
- pot up the runt GDP into her 3.5gal bucket home
- setup ventilation for backup tent to piggyback off Lab
- top RDWC girls to start quadline
- take clones from the tops and start for rooting (cloner, promix, of FFoF, dunno yet.)
- whatever else I'm forgetting, and I'm sure I am

**: Not 100% sure yet if I'll put it on a riser or not. Tent is only 6ft tall, so if I put the dutch bucket on a riser, then it's going to make the top of that 2ft off the floor, leaving only about 3ft for plant growth. If I put the entire tent on a riser, then that gives me another 13"-14" in height for the GDP. She shouldn't get super tall anyway, especially with the wide/low training, but better safe than sorry.

Why the need for the height difference? For recirc purposes on the bucket, the overflow gravity drains back to the res. So if my res is about a foot tall, there ya go. I have the stuff to do it, so not a big deal.

Hi mV!
I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to stop by but sometimes my mind is elsewhere. Rumor has it I suck with directions and get lost finding these journals. Anyhow, love the detail diagrams on page 1! Then I dunno what happened between there but here I am at page 18!
I found a vacant spot at the back which is where I typically hang out. Keep up the great work!

Anyhow, love the detail diagrams on page 1! Then I dunno what happened between there but here I am at page 18!

Welcome Mr S. I'm glad you're here! If for nothing more than the laughs!

Here's the readers digest version to catch you (and anyone else) up:

- Built initial plan based on drawings, using 5gal buckets.

- Measured the length of the valves and such, so wasn't room to come out the side towards the middle.

- In a quick "brilliant" idea, I turned the buckets 90* towards the back and ran the return into a tee, and split towards the inside for the main return, and outside for the isolation return.

- Ran into a several possible issues because of that. a few were root clogs from the tee, and getting in to clean pipes.

- Blew the whole thing up, and redesigned. Used 13gal EZ Stor buckets, 3" pipe, and so on.

That gets us into the first of December. Seeds sprouting, so go ahead and get the system filled. But wait, there's more!

- Took a bit longer to get the plants ready to go into the buckets.

- Had drastic pH issues, and took a massive amount of pH down to get it into range (almost 7oz) and then more the next day, and the day after to keep it down. (Use a whole 8oz bottle in 3 days pretty much.)

- Ended up with a case of the goopies, in part from not keeping up with Z7.

- Picked up a gallon of hydroguard, a gallon of bleach, a new RO setup, and a 55gal drum.

- Nuked the crap out of it all, house smelled like bleach for 4 days, could still taste it for a week. :laugh:

- RO fixed the pH follies, still creeps a bit (thanks to silica supplement, but worth it.)

- Had a runt plant, so used a strong second plant of Strawberry Lemonade.

- Runt went into a solo cup with perlite, kinda took off a few days later. Is what it is.

- Here we are, about a month into veg on (1) Blue Dream (Humboldt), (1) Durban Poison (Dutch Passion), (2) Strawberry Lemonade (Barney's)

- Girls are getting a top later today at some point, once I get the GDP moved into a full dutch/bato style bucket in a new tent.

love it! Hahaha!
I actually love the distraction and challenge it provides ..”gardening” brand new hobby and passion .also love sitting with the bright lights and watching them grow on dreary winter days . never would have imagined
Loving your journal!

:ganjamon::yummy::goof::snowboating:

Nice job coping and adapting!

Thank you!

(That's also what AMEX said, too! :rofl:)

love it! Hahaha!
I actually love the distraction and challenge it provides ..”gardening” brand new hobby and passion .also love sitting with the bright lights and watching them grow on dreary winter days . never would have imagined

It was definitely both a distraction and a challenge. In the past 3 months I've seen more eyes rolled my way than in I don't know how long. :laughtwo:

I do love it. When I decided to up the game since no longer needing to hide, it's really been the 3F's... (Fun, Frustrating, and Fucked up!) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Loving your journal!

:ganjamon::yummy::goof::snowboating:

Thank you so much for that! They're just my little place to ramble on, and on occasion share some of the "fun" going on. I'm not as detailed or whatnot as a lot of folks, but I enjoy it anyway and have a few laughs. If others get a chuckle and have a better day because of it, even better. :D

Although speaking of "fun", gotta get back to it and get the GDP in the bucket.

Then I get to top these girls and take some clones from the trimmings.

All in about a 3hr chunk of time.

D3703917-D727-4486-941A-9A4031105ED3.jpeg

Yep, I’d say she was ready for some new shoes. That perlite was solid, and I didn’t wet it right before.

38D4D845-F55A-45B1-B4D4-9F91EFE2BE80.jpeg

BDD1F22E-FDCD-46FA-ACD2-247B9E9E8EAC.jpeg

And there she is, all dressed up for the ball. Doing a temp hookup on the feeding tubes since the round drip trays won’t be here until tomorrow. Just going to open end them so I can plug them onto the rings for the floraflex when they get here.

I did clean off her bottom 2 nodes. Going to let her soak and adjust for a few days, maybe most of the week, and then clip her above node #4.

Apologies for the pics having a slight blurple tint. I was in a hurry, and still am

Back
Top Bottom