My baby girl is bleeding?

DirtyDanny

Ive never seen this in all my days..........
She seems to be "bleeding" on several fan leaf stems?
Is this common with LED's? Or is it a Fox Farm nute trademark?
It is a thick and sticky clear reddish-orange liquid...........very pungent and dank!
IMG_028020.JPG

IMG_026432.JPG

Anyone ever seen this before? Whats going on here?:hmmmm:

Re: My baby girl is "on the rag"?

My first thoughts where guttation but this normally occurs on leaf margins along with high humidity 80% plus with over watering & often seen early morning or lights on at first... i don't think this is the cause !

It might be a salt (saline) issue effecting the stomata basically to much salt present in the water source, so i would check ya water supply it might be a well water issue if living in a coastal region or might be related to use of a jug filter water like brita etc !

But i would also check for insects as it may be a puncture wound from sap suckers etc on a off chance ?

Re: My baby girl is "on the rag"?

My first thoughts where guttation but this normally occurs on leaf margins along with high humidity 80% plus with over watering & often seen early morning or lights on at first... i don't think this is the cause !

It might be a salt (saline) issue effecting the stomata basically to much salt present in the water source, so i would check ya water supply it might be a well water issue if living in a coastal region or might be related to use of a jug filter water like brita etc !

But i would also check for insects as it may be a puncture wound from sap suckers etc on a off chance ?

Thanks for the reply fuzzy.........Ive only watered with distilled water from the start, except once a few weeks ago I watered with "mineral spring water" to try to correct a mag/cal problem. Oddly enough, it did correct the problem.

As for pests...........other than a single gnat many weeks ago.........she is pest free. I go over her at least once a week to defol and check VERY carefully and have never found any pests...

Someone else has had to expierence this before besides me...........maybe its just a salt build up and time to use some Sledgehammer?

Mmm i am all out of ideas at present ?

I must admit its a pretty rare occurrence to be honest after reading the forums for nearly 2 years now & only come across 1 similer incident in the past but that was related to a grower who used honey or treacle in the last week of flowering to increase weight of bud ?

How ever i shall ponder over the the matter & i will see what springs to light :thumb:

In the time being your girls look pretty darn fine :love:

I wouldn't stress ya self over the matter tho, but would keep a close eye on em & if any defeciency type stuff occurs post a pic or if problem spreads...

On the other hand distilled water rings a bell ? if you care to enlighten me on brand of distilled water with as much information as possible... i'll do a little research :thumb:

Some thing about distilled water... grumbles !

Here is another thread from this site which discusses this issue in some depth: My Jack Herer is Bleeding?

It would seem that it is rare, but has happened to others. I have never personally seen it either.

Thanks again Fuzzy and Greatlife...........

I have used a few different brands of distilled water. They ALL should be identical to each other...........100% pure H20
I believe the distilling process removes ALL minerals that are present. (or at least in theory)
Most were purchased at Wally world, and some at gas station.
Thanks for your help!
Gonna check out that thread now Greatlife..........thanks

Ok.........lots of good info in that thread Greatlife!
Found this:

Re: My Jack Herer is Bleeding?
This was my cousins Black Columbian Gold plant. He had the same concerns you did until a famous grower (U.G) told him that it was a keeper as well. He had taken a couple clones and all had the "blood", by the end of harvest time he didn't see any red after cutting. I actually talked to him yesterday about all this and he suggests taking clones because he hasn't had anything that tasty since!

So......must be that this girl is "special":thumb:

I have used a few different brands of distilled water. They ALL should be identical to each other...........100% pure H20

One would certainly think so... but in the real world there is no such thing as 100% - and in this case it matters.

I believe the distilling process removes ALL minerals that are present. (or at least in theory)
Most were purchased at Wally world, and some at gas station.

Distilled water is manufactured by taking normal water, and evaporating it using a still. This leaves ALL of the minerals behind - since they don't evaporate at the same "rate" as the water.

The issue is that water, in it's pure state, is very, very reactive. And so it picks up "things" from whatever it comes in contact with. The long and short of it is that as it passes through the metal, rubber, and plastic from the distillation tank to storage - it will pick up stuff.

Really good companies will use stainless steel for the still, all tubing, and other parts that come in contact with the distilled water before packaging. This minimizes the amount of heavy metals that the water picks up - and heavy metals are dangerous in water that you will use to feed plants. It is debatable whether or not this affects an annual like MJ... but I wouldn't take a chance. However, this is an emotional stance on my part, not a logical one. The science indicates that this is safe for MJ.

But stainless steel is very expensive... and the definition of distilled water contains some wiggle room for impurities. So you can manufacture distilled water much, much more cheaply by cutting corners with the equipment.

I have no knowledge, but I would not be surprised if distilled water sold by Wal-Mart barely made the grade for purity. Whereas something sold at a pharmacy could be much more expensive to manufacture - and thus deserving of a higher price. And both could legally be called "distilled water."

Ok
.........lots of good info in that thread Greatlife!
Found this:

Re: My Jack Herer is Bleeding?
This was my cousins Black Columbian Gold plant.
He had the same concerns you did until a famous grower (U.G)
told him that it was a keeper as well. He had taken a couple clones and all had the "blood",
by the end of harvest time he didn't see any red after cutting.
I actually talked to him yesterday about all this and
he suggests taking clones because he hasn't had anything that tasty since!

So......must be that this girl is "special":thumb:

:cheer: Clone it :cheer:

:cheer: :xmas: :cheer:

some strains apparently can get a build up of pigments like anthocyanin e.t.c
it can also mean a nute deficiency in N,P,K or mag

rosental covered this topic somewhere, sadly i have forgoten where i saw it =(

Funny ya say that which you may well of solved this occurrence & quick search came up with this extract...

It could also be this taken from Mel Frank /Ed Rosenthal book

When you cut the stem or leaves, you may see the plant's sap momentarily spurt before the wound is plugged. The sap contains primarily the products of photosynthesis, in the form of sucrose (table sugar). Smaller amounts of materials associated with the living organism such as minerals, amino acids, and enzymes are also present. In marijuana, the sap is usually colourless, although a bright red colour - it looks like blood - is not uncommon in later life. The red colour is due to haematin compounds and anthocyanin pigments that naturally build up in some varieties. The red colour may also indicate a nutrient deficiency, notably of nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, or magnesium.

But some evidence did point towards a salt build up of some kind also !

Pretty strange indeed........
I would gamble that it isnt a deficiency.....(but a micro deficiency is possible) as she has been sucking up full strength FF nutes (big bloom,grow big, tiger bloom, kangaroots, microbe brew, open sesame) with every watering.
She's taking them like a champ! Not a hint of burn.........
Today she got a special treat for the 1st time....... a tablespoon of Organic Agave Nectar with her water!

I find it strange also ?

As your plants look pretty fine at the moment, they could just be a very hungry plant/strain nutrient wise... but excessive salts/mineral salt build up might be effecting the sap colouring in the long run... whether this is good or bad i don't know ?

Or some other environmental stimulus !

It does how ever appear to be some sort of genetic role or more likely phenotype of strain at play but whether it can be repeated via clones or seedling from same batch is another matter all together as each & every grow is some what different ?

Take it as good fortune & that it may produce the sweetest of bud :thumb:

But other wise watch carefully in case some def may occur later in the plants life...

I think its gonna be really hard explain this red sap stuff... but i believe we are heading along the right track :Namaste:

The seed was purchased as "Motavation" by serious seeds.
This was the seed banks description:

Motivation is an Indica-dominant strain best known for its potent almost narcotic-like effects when smoked.
Motivation could easily be described as a medicinal marijuana not just due to its strength (THC content 20+%) but also due to its deeply relaxing and tranquil effects – the perfect chill-out weed.
If you ever suffer from stress or even panic attacks – Motivation will blow them away.
Developed from Warlock and Sensi Star, Motivation can be grown indoors or outside.
Remaining a dense bushy plant under 100 cm, Motivation makes a good choice for indoor growing where space is limited.
In a flowering cycle of 8 to 9 weeks, the buds become highly resiny, dense and heavy with a s strong but sweet aroma. Motivation delivers between 300 and 400 grams of awesome bud per plant.
The mature buds have few leaves making trimming easy and straightforward.
Motivation was the fist place winner of the ----- growers cup and came in second on the Highlife cup.

You would have to look at all the strains it was crossed with to make it. Somewhere down the line it was probably crossed with a Columbian strain. For example a 4 way cross strain may demonstrate more traits of one of the crosses. It depends on how stable it is.

i promise that without the correct research tools and methods, trying to track this gene trait through its ancestors will be a headache to say the least and really isnt worth the effort to reach any degree of certainty.

you got all those things to contend with like ressesive genes, generation skips, unfaithful plants :rofl: , and throw backs.
i dont know the correct name for throw backs unfortunatly, but its like when a white couple have a black baby, its possibly a ressesed or dormant gene re expressing itself and may be a freak or may be passed on to the next generation.

i think if a project was to be undertaken, i think in the first instance it should be a dedicated forum thread to 'discovered' bleeders. that way in a year or two when a chunk of data has been added, it could allow someone to clean up this pedegree mystery =)

i promise that without the correct research tools and methods, trying to track this gene trait through its ancestors will be a headache to say the least and really isnt worth the effort to reach any degree of certainty.

you got all those things to contend with like ressesive genes, generation skips, unfaithful plants :rofl: , and throw backs.
i dont know the correct name for throw backs unfortunatly, but its like when a white couple have a black baby, its possibly a ressesed or dormant gene re expressing itself and may be a freak or may be passed on to the next generation.

i think if a project was to be undertaken, i think in the first instance it should be a dedicated forum thread to 'discovered' bleeders. that way in a year or two when a chunk of data has been added, it could allow someone to clean up this pedegree mystery =)

agreed.

But in the mean time.... Clone it! At least it is unique in its own right. And then... If it is a great smoke, :tokin: That's all that really matters.

Back
Top Bottom