My doctor called me a druggy...

renigus

So I was at the doctor yesterday for a routine physical. She asked me if I smoke cigarettes, yes. Drink alcohol, no. Do drugs?? I let her know that I smoke marijuana, but mainly for it's medicinal effects. It helps me eat, almost always cures my nausea, it's a sleep aide, and it also helps with my anxiety. She started to write all this down and the stopped, looked at me and said, "You know it is illegal, right?". I told her yes, I understand that in the state of Connecticut marijuana is illegal, but I do hope that one day it will be decriminalized and available for medical reasons.

She ripped up and threw out the sheet she as filling out. She told me she was going to start over on another piece of paper because she did not want to label me as a druggy. A druggy? Because I smoke pot to suppress the urge to throw up for long enough to function? She then told me that it could affect me receiving life insurance in the future if she wrote it down.

Can life insurance companies get a hold on your medical records? I know you usually have to get a physical to be accepted, but I did not think they could look at your entire file. Does this not seem right to anyone else?

Basically, I was a little offended that my doctor would not take into consideration the fact that pot really does help with a lot of my symptoms, and she just labeled me a "druggy". Is my 62 year old mother who takes Motrin on a daily basis to help with her arthritis a druggy too? I really see no difference.

This just really rubbed me the wrong way and I needed to vent to people who I knew would share my frustrations. I feel like getting involved in some group working towards legalization in CT. I'm loosing my job soon (my company, like so many others will be shutting down due to the struggling economy) and I have a feeling I will have plenty of time to be a part of such group.

If anyone knows of any organizations in CT, let me know where to sign!!!

For all of those who read this stoned rambling message, thanks for listening ;)

I interpret her action as preventing those who would be reading the form from labeling you a "druggy". I don't think she was critisizing you, her goal was to protect you from public misconceptions.

I interpret her action as preventing those who would be reading the form from labeling you a "druggy". I don't think she was critisizing you, her goal was to protect you from public misconceptions.

He's right. Your doctor, in fact, did you a favor. Insurance companies of all kinds routinely have the right, depending on the case, to review your medical records. If the doctor recorded the fact that you use marijuana, that record could follow you for years. It could, in fact, cause you to be denied life insurance coverage or, in some cases health insurance coverage. It's a sad fact, but it's true. Let's hope that, as time passes and attitudes change, the day will come when both you and your doctor can be honest about your use of marijuana.

i wonder if you could start a lawsuit for defamation of character, would be the first time i heard of it... everyone else files suit for everything else Cannabis related, might be something... if anything, it could generate more press for our mission... just thinking out loud... sorry you were offended, you are far from being alone, know that...;)

I didn't even think to look at it as if she was helping me out, but now that you guys mention it I think you're right. I had no clue that your medical records could be available to anyone but yourself and your doctor. That... kind of sucks. It also sucks that we live in a world where someone who smoked pot can even be considered a 'druggy'.

And 420... it seems like everyone else in the world can get away with suing, or bitching until they get what they want, or cheat the system except for me. Every time I try to do something like that I either get screwed or end up feeling way guilty in the end, so I don't even bother trying.

I feel better about this guys! Thanks!

i've never personally filed a lawsuit on anyone, but it sure could be another way to sock it to those doctors who are still living in the ice ages and would definitely help to educate them in the process... end result, an apology from the doctor and a possibility of turning them into a Cannabis doctor as well after explaining all of the medical aspects in a court of law where they have to listen and learn...
And 420... it seems like everyone else in the world can get away with suing, or bitching until they get what they want, or cheat the system except for me. Every time I try to do something like that I either get screwed or end up feeling way guilty in the end, so I don't even bother trying.

again, just thinking out loud, thanks for letting me share...;)

I have never told my doctor I smoke, but man would I love to. All they talk about is how I am in great shape, perfect blood pressure, heart rate, everything. I am not trying to gloute, but my point is I would love to tell them I smoke marijuana all day everyday and I am still in the greatest shape I could be in even according to the professionals! I never get sick I do not have breathing problems I can run a few miles even though I never run except on a treadmill. I can kick every doctors ass in that place and half of them look like they are going to die any minute lol! So how is marijuana affecting me, I would love to ask them if I told them I smoked.

When you apply for insurance you typically need to sign a waiver and take a physical. The insurance company has a right to refuse to cover you if you don't agree.

The waiver typically includes a disclosure clause authorizing them access to you records

So technically they don't have a right to see your records, you are just blackmailed (forced) to give them permission if you want the insurance.

The mclaughlin insurance company recently began underwriting life-insurance for responsible marijuana consumers, (medical or recreational). We are a demographic force to be reckoned with and it's becoming more acceptable to market to us directly

Just one more sign that we are making progress in the mainstream. The McLaughlin Company - a full service insurance agency

interesting wonder what that ins co's sales would do if they advertised on a board or two and just tjink what good statistics they would have most stoners i know that would want insurance tend to live reasonably healthy......
stats like that published in a feww public health medical journal
would do a lot to have fewer dr's call responsable users druggies

There is one life insurance company that does not hold cannabis use against you, at least one that I know of. NORML was advertising it, I would look it up.

As for your doctors visit, it is unfortunate but some doctors do not differentiate cannabis use from the use of any other illicit drug. You should be glad she did not put your cannabis use down on record, some doctors will flag you as having drug seeking behavior and it prevent you from being able to get certain prescriptions. The WoD sucks.

From what i read in your story, she said "oh, i don't want people thinking your a druggy". And she scrapped that paper so it wouldn't be on your record in the future. It may off rubbed of on you in a bad way, but i think she meant good for you. Just my thoughts.

Yep - doctors in Calif are a trip. It seems generally that if they aren't specifically advocating and recommending marijuana, then they look at you as a user to be no different than a junky. So needless to say, my primary care physician will never know about my status as a MMJ patient. One doctor in my town cut off all medical services to a very sick lady who was found to use marijuana for pain relief. She has a neuromuscular disease called mysthenia gravis (a terribly debilitating disease for many).

I'm 54 yrs old, and I've always been pretty sure MJ would never be legal in my time. Looks like there may be a chance of that happening now though. Maybe some of our alcoholic doctors won't look down there noses at us anymore huh?

Im just thankful we have dispensaries in Calif, and that the DEA won't be raiding them anymore.

peace

...Basically, I was a little offended that my doctor would not take into consideration the fact that pot really does help with a lot of my symptoms, and she just labeled me a "druggy"...

My experience was totally the opposite. I had my physical last month, and expected the results to be worse than last year because I started smoking pretty much daily since last June. The doctor was so impressed with the results (cholesterol, liver function, etc.) that I told him about my cannabis consumption. He didn't write anything down, and didn't lecture me. He basically said that there's a lot of mis-information out there about drugs in general, and I should be careful because of the legal issues.

I think it's time to change doctors. I've had this doctor for years, and I know it's sometimes difficult to go to someone else because of insurance issues, but if we feel that we can't be honest with them, we're not getting the health care we should.

The last thing I want is to return to the doctor sometime down the road with a problem and have him think the problem is related to weed. Or worse, call me a 'druggie'.

You should have asked for her opinion. If you can, find a NORML group in your area. Atleast you're telling the right person, and now she might even reconsider her ideals ... might be a strech though. You could also force her to report it somehow. You could also move to the WEST COAST, where it's better for my brothers in action

Back
Top Bottom