My First Grow Ever! Excited!

Clones are not real happy at the moment. I think I overwatered them yesterday (temps ended up being cooler than normal today). Since we put in the new light and one sheet of mylar on the side the humidity has shot up from 30% to 50%. It's never been in the 50% range til today. I'm concerned for the bigger clones because instead of being droopy the leaves are slightly curled on the tips. I will get some pictures when I go down here shortly.

So here they are...Any thoughts on those tips?
pic63_May312017_.jpg
pic64_May312017_.jpg

pic61_May312017_.jpg

So here they are...Any thoughts on those tips?

Hooking is caused by excess nitrogen and when roots get suffocated by too much water too long. In my experience, that will stop plant growth if it's severe enough. (See my grow log from about days 7 - 13 if you want to see a really bad example caused by soaking wet rock wool.) New leaves keep appearing, but the plant doesn't get any bigger.

So... let the clones soil dry out and then only water when it's dry a knuckle deep and then don't overwater again and you should be good.

So here are the pics of all my worries (except the seedlings which are doing great). I should note that I have never fed any of my plants. I have the food but because of what was/is in the soil I wasn't sure when I feed them without making things too hot. Could that be where my problem is? Thanks.
Also are the hair like things preflower? They are still in 18-6 so that wouldn't make sense unless there's something I don't know yet.
pic80_June22017_.jpg
pic76_June22017_.jpg
pic79_June22017_.jpg
pic75_June22017_.jpg
pic74_June22017_.jpg
pic73_June22017_.jpg
pic72_June22017_.jpg
pic71_June22017_.jpg
pic70_June22017_.jpg
pic68_June22017_.jpg
pic67_June22017_.jpg
pic69_June22017_.jpg
pic65_June22017_.jpg
pic66_June22017_.jpg

That blurple light makes it harder to evaluate the plants, but your plants look OK to me. Yeah, there is a little bit of hooking on some of the leaves, which puzzles me given they're not overfed or overfertilized. Are the hooking leaves very dark green? That's a sign of lots of nitrogen that would probably precede the hooking.

Below is a photo of the earliest female preflowers I had. Note the long white "hairy" pistils.
2017-04-13_Day_24_0900_PreflowersNodes3_4.JPG

Female preflowers(Note the double white pistils at the right node)

I'll try to get better pictures in the morning when that light is off. I'm not sure what would be causing an excess of Nitrogen. Could it perhaps be not enough air circulation? Also, should I move those with the preflower hairs into flower now or can I continue to veg them?

I'm curious about preflowering clones. Can you try to get a good close-up shot in white light? What's the history on the plants? Do you know for certain that they are not autoflowers?

I don't know anything about clones from first-hand experience, but if those are in fact preflowers then yeah, it seems like you should go with flowering. But again, if they're flowering under 18 hours of light, then I'm going to guess that someone cloned an autoflower, in which case you can just leave the lights on for 18 hours a day--or 24 hours a day for that matter--and they will merrily flower away.

I don't think air circulation is the problem. At least I haven't heard of circulation problems being the cause of something like that. Maybe just don't worry about it for now and just make sure that you optimized everything you can and let nature sort it out?

Good Morning!
So my girls were looking worse this morning. Decided to feed them 3ml/gallon Cal-Mag and Grow.

Do you have a dissolved solids tester? (A "PPM meter"?). It would be interesting to know what the readings for your tap water are. If you are west of the Cascades, your water is probably very soft (like less than 50 PPM), which would mean it's essentially the same as RO water, having no inherent nutritive value. In that case, Ca/Mg supplementation could help (according to what I've read.) I have used 2 ml/gallon CALiMAGic throughout my hydro grow. (My tap water is 28 PPM.)

As for the actual fertilizer, now of course you watch very carefully to see if your leaf tips start to discolor or if any other signs of excess appear.

The received wisdom is to start with 1/2 the recommended dose of fertilizer until you know how your plants respond. (One conspiracy theory being that manufacturers want to "move bottles" so they recommend the maximum dose.) And different growing conditions affect how much to add. If it's hot and the lights are bright and the plants are growing fast, they will suck up (transpire) lots more H2O and in so doing may OD if the nutes are too concentrated. I always remember the orchid growers' mantra: "Fertilize weakly weekly." OTOH, if you underfertilize, you can reduce your output. Keeping detailed notes helps to track what does and doesn't work.

(And speaking of "fertilizing weakly," I just 30 minutes ago switched my girl over to an all tap water diet to prepare her for harvest. The big flush has started! I'm pretty excited and curious to see how she responds.)

Those do indeed look like female preflowers. And you said they'd been on 18/6, right? Based on that, I'm going to guess that you have autoflower clones(?!) That seems really unlikely coming from a collective where they would know better. Maybe you could post a question about that question specifically to see if people with more experience and expertise have some thoughts.

In any case, your plants look good, they've got a good light (Is it really 1000 watts? You never answered that question.), and now they've been fertilized. My guess is that your plants are going to start growing fast. :) (That wild card about the preflowers notwithstanding--that one has me really curious.)

Happy growing and please update. Maybe it's time to start an actual grow log? If you do, please put a link in this thread.

I'm sorry, I just read your post. Yes, it really is 1000W. The picture does a poor job of showing just how bright it is. I'm not using tap water but I have tested my tap water here. It has a pH of 8.5 and a ppm of 230 (I'm in Klamath County). The runoff for my small seedlings (not pictured) is a pH of 5.6 and a ppm of 470 (before watering the water had a pH of 7.1 and a ppm of 8). They are indeed on 18/6 and I have not changed that since I got that. I'm a bit annoyed I wasn't told that they are autos when I got them. Of and I have never fed mentioned seedlings, that's just what's in the soil I buy.

I think your seedlings are looking great! Your clones look good too--a little bit spindly, but after some time under a 1000 watt LED grow light they should get bushier.

Those sure look like preflowers to me. I'm no expert on clones, so you might want to post a separate question with regard to your mystery preflowers, but assuming that yes, they really are auto clones and are going into bloom, that means they will start their flowering stretch now and start growing really fast and vigorously, and the growth apexes will morph from growth sites to flowering sites, so it's probably time to do what low-stress training you can to get them so they present an even flower surface to the light, if you know what I mean.

But the important thing is that it looks like you have good soil, good water, and a nice bright light. That should add up to some nice buds in not very much time! :) I hope so anyway...

I'm just a bit annoyed that they are autos (confirmed the preflowers with a grower I know) because I wasn't ready for it. But it happens so oh well.

Seems kinda like an unplanned pregnancy. I believe most autos have fairly quick bloom cycles, so you'll have a chance to watch that fascinating process, which is fascinating, and learn and be ready for the next round.

As for LST, I'm not sure how to do that

A lot of people say you shouldn't pinch off growth sites on autos, but I did, and I defoliated a lot too so my plant didn't choke on its own extreme bushiness. Daily low stress training to even up your plants' canopy to maximize output is easy to learn and easy to do and will significantly increase output.

Happy growing!

Careful you don't snap on the last though I did today on one because the stem had started to harden up the looser it is the easier it is

If they are autos nothing you do will stop them flowering so put them in as much light as possible for as long as possible, autos do best with as much light as possible I believe, 24/0 or 20/4 as an example. Any mature cannabis plant shows pre flowers whether auto or photo. Pre flowers are just a sign of the plants maturity and not an indicator the plants is flowering, pre flowers simply mean she's ready to flower. Are you sure they are autos now? If so give them maximum light and sit back and behold their wonder.

Back
Top Bottom