My first grow - Help with lighting!

NEWBGRWR

I started off with seeds and have since transplanted them into their pots with soil. I have a 1000W HPS unit but have it dimmed to 600 to start out. The bulb is around 3 feet from the buds. This is the start of the second week in soil. I have everything in a 5 x 5 tent.

I have been running the lights at 24 hours. I want to try the gas lantern routine. I have programmed my timer for 12 hours on, 5.5 off, 1 hour on and then another 5.5 off. At what point should I switch the ballast to the full 1000W? and how far should the bulb be from the plants at that point?

Thanks! :)

Re: My first grow...Help with lighting!

you should be able to switch the light now just keep the light high for a day or two if the light is to close the plants will wilt move them further from the light but I think your good. I never tried that light cycle it sounds like a recipe for hermaphrodites. 12/12 for cannabis 18/6 for auto flower cannabis only.

You should stick with 18/6. 24 is too much ... even plants need to sleep.

I have now switched to 18/6 and 1000w...they seem to be enjoying that. :) I may attempt the GLR light cycle another time.

Thanks guys!

Hi mate, well IMO 1000w is a fair bit, BUT other say not so.. I use a 400w MH/HPS and I yield over 8oz dry from 1 plant in say 15 weeks..
The 18/6 lighting is good, Im currently on a 17/7 cycle, as they dont need much more than 15hrs in reality, so I like to give em dark like in nature:)
Ive seen a few people use the GLR with good results, But Ive never tried it, I stick with ol skool I guess.. But yeah, you could use 600w fine for a couple of big plants.. UPTO YOU MATE - YOU KNOW UR SET UP!! Hoping all grows well for ya.. Smokemup

The Gas Lamp Routine works, and will not make hermies, unless you already have hermie genetics :) I've used it and it works great, and saves me around 30-50$ a month with very healthy fast growing plants, and best thing is that they develop flowers much quicker. :)

The Gas Lamp Routine works, and will not make hermies, unless you already have hermie genetics :) I've used it and it works great, and saves me around 30-50$ a month with very healthy fast growing plants, and best thing is that they develop flowers much quicker. :)

I like the part of saving on electrical bill... I am scared to try it since I am using HPS for my veg and flower stages. The article says using only HPS can cause early flowering.

Back
Top Bottom