My Mystery Grow

I have to agree with you on that. pH shouldn't matter in organic soil. Mega Crop you can feed early as it has chelated nutes & the plant will only take up what it needs. @Emilya can explain way better then I can.
Thank you, I read her post about growing with Mega Crop, twice in fact. I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I just flushed it with another gallon of just water. Whatever is going on is happening fast and I'm talking 24 hours fast.

I just checked the run off from giving it a water flush and my numbers look like this.
Water went in at a pH of 6.2, that's water from my tap that has been sitting open for 2 days, and it came out at 4.5...
My PPM went in at 48 and came out at 264 with X10 flashing, that would make the PPM 2640, that seems a little high.

I just checked the run off from giving it a water flush and my numbers look like this.
Water went in at a pH of 6.2, that's water from my tap that has been sitting open for 2 days, and it came out at 4.5...
My PPM went in at 48 and came out at 264 with X10 flashing, that would make the PPM 2640, that seems a little high.
This has got to be caused by that Miracle Grow Soil. The nutes in it probably aren't good for weed like the soil designed for it. I used it on my 1st grow ever & got a gnat infestation from hell. I'll never use it again. I personally prefer Fox Farms Ocean Forrest Soil the best. I've had excellent results with it & I know it has the right ingredients.
I also use Mega Crop. I go by leaf color to determine when to increase the dosage. I start at 1 gram per gallon the 1st week, 2 gr. the 2nd week, 3 gr. the 3rd week. After that I increase by 1/2 gr. per week. Once I see the leaves starting to get dark green I back off by 1/2 gr. & feed it at that strength till the plant asks for a higher dosage. You will know it needs more when the leaves start turning a lighter green.

Thanks for the tag Buds.
Mega Crop you can feed early as it has chelated nutes & the plant will only take up what it needs.
Just to be clear you can easily overfeed with MC... chelated nutes or not. You see what happens when you feed excess amounts of Mg and other elements causing lockout. Less is better as I've always said.
Have you looked at any of @MrSauga , or @InTheShed journals? These 2 guys are also top notch on grows with Mega Crop.
Stop by anytime Kevin. Link is in my signature.

This has got to be caused by that Miracle Grow Soil. The nutes in it probably aren't good for weed like the soil designed for it. I used it on my 1st grow ever & got a gnat infestation from hell. I'll never use it again. I personally prefer Fox Farms Ocean Forrest Soil the best. I've had excellent results with it & I know it has the right ingredients.
I also use Mega Crop. I go by leaf color to determine when to increase the dosage. I start at 1 gram per gallon the 1st week, 2 gr. the 2nd week, 3 gr. the 3rd week. After that I increase by 1/2 gr. per week. Once I see the leaves starting to get dark green I back off by 1/2 gr. & feed it at that strength till the plant asks for a higher dosage. You will know it needs more when the leaves start turning a lighter green.
Yeah I think I'm going to go get a different soil and transplant it before it's too late. I did a slurry with soil right out of the bag, I pH the water to 7.0 and added a shot glass of soil to a shot glass of water and the numbers were like this...
pH went in 7.0 came out 4.4
PPM went in at 24 came out at 610 right out of the bag.

Thanks for the tag Buds.

Just to be clear you can easily overfeed with MC... chelated nutes or not. You see what happens when you feed excess amounts of Mg and other elements causing lockout. Less is better as I've always said.

Stop by anytime Kevin. Link is in my signature.
Thank you on my way to your link now. I've read another person's post on here and her grow was impressive. Right now I'm 0 for 3 but giving up isn't in my DNA, as long as it's still green it's worth trying to save. Thanks again.

Thanks Buds!

The reason the PPM out was high is because your soil has "3-month plant nutrition" built in, and that means there's nutrients in the soil that will show up in runoff. Not enough to feed the plants much (0.19-0.03-0.03) but enough to show up.

Runoff pH doesn't matter in any type of grow but the slurry test does. In terms of the 7.0 out of the bag, some mixes with lime will take about 3 days of being wet before the pH of the medium stabilizes, so you may find that in a few days you are in the 6.5-6.8 range, which is where most soils are buffered to.

Thanks Buds!

The reason the PPM out was high is because your soil has "3-month plant nutrition" built in, and that means there's nutrients in the soil that will show up in runoff. Not enough to feed the plants much (0.19-0.03-0.03) but enough to show up.

Runoff pH doesn't matter in any type of grow but the slurry test does. In terms of the 7.0 out of the bag, some mixes with lime will take about 3 days of being wet before the pH of the medium stabilizes, so you may find that in a few days you are in the 6.5-6.8 range, which is where most soils are buffered to.
I put the water in at a pH of 7.0 it came out 4.4, and that was with soil I took out of the bag with nothing added to it

I put the water in at a pH of 7.0 it came out 4.4, and that was with soil I took out of the bag with nothing added to it
Hey Kevin, Shed is real good with this stuff. He's got all kinds of really good info & knows how to calculate additives to MC, etc., etc. I could point out many things about his grow knowledge.
All I'm trying to say is he knows his shit & can surely get you on track. I kind of consider Emilya, MrSauga & Shed the masters of MC on this site. If they can't fix it ... It can't be fixed.

Ok it's now 8-24-20, the last time I updated you all with any pics was yesterday morning with my not so happy leaves, so here we are again..
After much scratching of the head I decided to flush with fresh water yesterday, and this morning I was pleasantly pleased with the results. I had also come to realize that when I put it in my tent I never turned on the second switch on my light so it has been trying to grow with only half the light it should have been getting, but now we have everything going the way it should be. I don't know if you can tell the difference but the leaves have changed to a lighter shade of green a we put on about another 1.5 inches of growth. What did surprise me was the amount of water it took to get to the point of run off, over a gallon at the rate of around a quart every 15 minutes before I even started to get anything coming out the bottom. So at this point I'm hoping we have things under control. The next time I feed I think I should stay at about 1g/gal and see how it takes to that, but I guess I should probably learn to grow before I try to do a journal. The last 3 pics are in as close to natural light as I can get, it's kinda cloudy here today.
IMG_20200824_075022.jpg
IMG_20200824_074936.jpg
IMG_20200824_082413.jpg
IMG_20200824_082249.jpg
IMG_20200824_082210.jpg

Well here we are a week later since the last update. The spotting and damage seems to be under control now. I had to transplant it into a different soil, I went with FFOF so hopefully everything will come together now. I'm still getting just a touch of tip burn but I think that may be coming from the root ball seeing how I didn't remove the soil from it when I transplanted it. So for now it's just getting water.
IMG_20200829_101830.jpg

@Kevin Jacobs did you mix that ffof with something else? coco, perlite or peatmoss?
ffof is also a hot soil and needs to be mixed before use.

I just went through your 1st and 2nd page and have a clear idea on what you did exactly wrong. Thankfully in the shed and few of the other member have already brough them to your attention.

i'll watch along from here on but im glad that the members corrected you right away before this plant goes bad too.

MC is from start to finish, but you just started it to soon with a hot potting mix.

perlite is good and it helps with draining the excessive water. i was kinda shocked when you were giving it 1g of mc at the seedling stage in a MG soil. Crazy part, it didn't show any nitrogin toxicity.
@InTheShed i take with promix hp and a gram of mc at the seedling stage would not be an bad idea to boost the plant. On my grow i was giving it just tap water until veg day

perlite is good and it helps with draining the excessive water. i was kinda shocked when you were giving it 1g of mc at the seedling stage in a MG soil. Crazy part, it didn't show any nitrogin toxicity.
@InTheShed i take with promix hp and a gram of mc at the seedling stage would not be an bad idea to boost the plant. On my grow i was giving it just tap water until veg day
That's why I got so confused, it was doing good for so long then all the sudden it got mad at me and let me know about it literally over night.

Back
Top Bottom