My New Grow

Everything you need to know is in this journal right here: Come Grow With Me
All copy & pasted from books & magazines. Light Height, Temps, RH, etc...
That is weird - in my tent as the temp goes up, the RH goes down and as the temp goes down the RH goes up. Its ticking me off TBH! See what I mean:
That's how it works unfortunately. Then if you use an exhaust fan for cooling it sucks the humidity out even more. I went through all that until I automated everything. The Saturn 4 Environmental Controller makes things easy. It has a Humidity Dial & Sensor so you can plug either a Humidifier or Dehumidifier in & set the dial for the RH you want. The controller turns the Hum. / Dehum. off & on. You can plug in either your Exhaust or your AC or Heater to the Temp outlet & set the dial for the temp you want & it turns those things off & on. It also has a Co2 outlet (never used it) & an Aux. outlet to plug whatever you want in. You can find one for about $50 on the used websites like Offer Up. With the Saturn 4 & Timers everything is automated except the feeding. I have a drip system I plan to hook up soon on a timer for that.

Root rot is not as common as the internet would make you think. Over watering for any chosen medium type can lead to it, and over watering is common. I don't know the history but it is not showing any signs of rot or deficiency.

Yes, some slouching in there sleep is normal. As long as they perk back up at sunrise. If they don't start wakening up within maybe half hour of sunrise you may need to look at other factors. The lights can be heating the room or changing RH to a level the plant was waiting for.

As for how the plants look. Couple could use a prune to get light and air down into the plant. Droopy tops in pic are because the lights just came on, assuming. Common cause for excessive morning slouch is low night temp. One looks pale green but I don't know if it was always pale or recovering from overwater. Watch it over a day or two and see what happens. If it shows any improvement or stays stable it just needs to recover. If it gets worse then you may want to intervein. Light green is a sign of low nitrogen absorption. Usually that is the soil PH is off. Next time you water test the run off waters PH level.

That's how it works unfortunately. Then if you use an exhaust fan for cooling it sucks the humidity out even more. I went through all that until I automated everything. The Saturn 4 Environmental Controller makes things easy. It has a Humidity Dial & Sensor so you can plug either a Humidifier or Dehumidifier in & set the dial for the RH you want. The controller turns the Hum. / Dehum. off & on. You can plug in either your Exhaust or your AC or Heater to the Temp outlet & set the dial for the temp you want & it turns those things off & on. It also has a Co2 outlet (never used it) & an Aux. outlet to plug whatever you want in. You can find one for about $50 on the used websites like Offer Up. With the Saturn 4 & Timers everything is automated except the feeding. I have a drip system I plan to hook up soon on a timer for that.
Thank you! I’ll have a look at that article later today (I have a very busy work day ahead of me along with a mid-term review!) … I do use my exhaust fan to help control the temps, so I’ll take a look at the Saturn 4.

I use a drip ring during the early stages of my grow, but that and my lights are plugged into surge protected extension cords that have timers built into them (which is pretty cool IMHO).

Hard to be nice when you bring me nothing to complain about or critique. Great job.
Here is 2 Cherry Kush. My conclusion is that its over-watered. Do you see any deficiencies?

20211114_004014.jpg

20211114_004010.jpg

Here is 2 Cherry Kush. My conclusion is that its over-watered. Do you see any deficiencies?

20211114_004014.jpg

20211114_004010.jpg
No deficiency. Could be slightly overwatered, could be shying away from the light if it's too close. You need to check your light's PAR values and hang height for that part. Also, cannabis 'goees to sleep' about an hour before lights out once it gets on a regular schedule, so if it's just before lights out this could just be the girls getting ready to mellow out and turn in. Keep to watering once every (at least 5 days if not 7, they should be dry for a day or two between waters.) and then simply raise your light a little if that doesn't solve it, but the light won't hurt anything in VEG, they'll adjust.

Temp is between 68 and 78 and humidity is little harder to control between 35% 60%. I have a humidifier but cannot keep humidity at stable level...
Here's a helpful link for RH humidity a dewpoint calculator. As you slide the buttons, you can see how different RH dewpoint (saturation of air with water) is affected by temperature and how much water the air can hold at any given temp.

I just use a Variac to adjust the exhaust fan speed with passive air intake (no intake fans). I adjust exhaust fan speed to the point where I am getting good air in/out flow but not sucking so much air through that the temp and humidity goes wacky.

In this dry Fall weather, I use a cheap ultrasonic humidifier to add humidity using a humidity controller. I balance temp, air flow and humidity that way. Best to use RO water or distilled in the ultrasonic humidifier so you don't get minerals in the water lofting into the air and coating the area with "white" mineral dust.

If your problem is too much humidity, put the dehumidifier in the room outside the tent and suck in dry air. I do this for my flowering tent. I suck in dehumidified air at about 45% to 50% RH and the tent lights dry it out a bit to 40% to 45% RH. The humidifier in the tent just keeps it above 40% RH by coming on once in a while if it gets too dry.

I just use a Variac to adjust the exhaust fan speed with passive air intake (no intake fans). I adjust exhaust fan speed to the point where I am getting good air in/out flow but not sucking so much air through that the temp and humidity goes wacky.

In this dry Fall weather, I use a cheap ultrasonic humidifier to add humidity using a humidity controller. I balance temp, air flow and humidity that way. Best to use RO water or distilled in the ultrasonic humidifier so you don't get minerals in the water lofting into the air and coating the area with "white" mineral dust.

If your problem is too much humidity, put the dehumidifier in the room outside the tent and suck in dry air. I do this for my flowering tent. I suck in dehumidified air at about 45% to 50% RH and the tent lights dry it out a bit to 40% to 45% RH. The humidifier in the tent just keeps it above 40% RH by coming on once in a while if it gets too dry.
If you put the dehumidifier in the tent you get less results since the air is just "passing through" on it's way to be exhausted. If you put the dehumidifier in the room outside the tent, you dehumidify all that room air and now your tent has a large reservoir of "dry" room air to intake, little by little, and the dehumidifier can keep up with it better.

The dehumidifier runs hard at first, getting the humidity out of the room air, then slows down it's on/off cycle. Eventually, in a week or so, you get to a happy equilibrium where you have lots of dry air in the room and the dehumidifier does run that often.

In fact, some growers point the dry warm air duct coming out of the dehumidifier at the tent air intake to further warm their tent air to help keep it in the 80-85 deg F temp range.

If you put the dehumidifier in the tent you get less results since the air is just "passing through" on it's way to be exhausted. If you put the dehumidifier in the room outside the tent, you dehumidify all that room air and now your tent has a large reservoir of "dry" room air to intake, little by little, and the dehumidifier can keep up with it better.

The dehumidifier runs hard at first, getting the humidity out of the room air, then slows down it's on/off cycle. Eventually, in a week or so, you get to a happy equilibrium where you have lots of dry air in the room and the dehumidifier does run that often.

In fact, some growers point the dry warm air duct coming out of the dehumidifier at the tent air intake to further warm their tent air to help keep it in the 80-85 deg F temp range.
I spent a year getting shit results because I did just that. No smell, no flavor and no buzz. Never saw it coming. Good info, there. Even with experience I didn't figure it out until I took it out completely in the cool months.

I spent a year getting shit results because I did just that. No smell, no flavor and no buzz. Never saw it coming. Good info, there. Even with experience I didn't figure it out until I took it out completely in the cool months.
Maybe if you don't use AC your Dehumidifier might do something to effect your plants... not sure. But I run a portable AC inside my tent & the Dehumidifier is inside my tent also. I totally disagree with the Temps he's giving you. 80F is the max temp a tent should get. 85 F & you get VPD issues & sweating leaves. The leaf temp should be 77F which means the tent should not exceed 80F. Look at the VPD charts. Read the first 10 pages or so in the journal I pointed you to & you will find all the true facts right from the books & mags that I posted.
Will someone show me a resource that says a tent should be 80 - 85 F ? I'd like to see that for myself.

Maybe if you don't use AC your Dehumidifier might do something to effect your plants... not sure. But I run a portable AC inside my tent & the Dehumidifier is inside my tent also. I totally disagree with the Temps he's giving you. 80F is the max temp a tent should get. 85 F & you get VPD issues & sweating leaves. The leaf temp should be 77F which means the tent should not exceed 80F. Look at the VPD charts. Read the first 10 pages or so in the journal I pointed you to & you will find all the true facts right from the books & mags that I posted.
Will someone show me a resource that says a tent should be 80 - 85 F ? I'd like to see that for myself.
I run mine over 80 year round, never had a problem. Not sure i'd go to 85f, but i have a different set-up

I run mine over 80 year round, never had a problem. Not sure i'd go to 85f, but i have a different set-up
And I think those environmental conditions are why you get No Smell, No Flavor & No Buzz. Terpenes & Trichomes increase for protection in cooler temps resulting in more potent weed. My whole house stinks of weed when I open a jar. Buds are sticky as all hell & gets me wasted & I am a very heavy smoker. That's the whole reason for dialing in your environment. To get more potent weed.

And I think those environmental conditions are why you get No Smell, No Flavor & No Buzz. Terpenes & Trichomes increase for protection in cooler temps resulting in more potent weed. My whole house stinks of weed when I open a jar. Buds are sticky as all hell & gets me wasted & I am a very heavy smoker. That's the whole reason for dialing in your environment. To get more potent weed.
That was resolved by putting the dehumidifier outside the tent, just as Charlie stated. Sounds like it's time for you to worry about your own grow space. I don't need to trying to knock mine. Thanks.

That was resolved by putting the dehumidifier outside the tent, just as Charlie stated. Sounds like it's time for you to worry about your own grow space. I don't need to trying to knock mine. Thanks.
Suit yourself. I was trying to be helpful & point you in the right direction is all. Enjoy ! No hard feelings I hope.

and FYI, I switched to better gentics since then, been at least a year ago.
Suit yourself. I was trying to be helpful & point you in the right direction is all. Enjoy ! No hard feelings I hope.
No hard feelings, i'm very sick and I don't have it in me to discuss it further. Sorry about the obvious irritation, i'm sweating bullets. I do appreciate the effort

I cannot post that link to the resource because the study was done by a LED light vendor that is a non-sponsor of this website. Thje study used infrared camera techniques to show leaf surface temps of HID/HPS vs LEDs. In the past, if I tried to post that link, the administrators here edited out the link. However, if you will *oogle search the web using the term "infrared camera leaf surface temperature studies of cannabis", or just "leaf surface temperature studies of cannabis". I am sure you will find that link. It is well documented.

I think it is also strain dependent. I run up to 86 deg F in the veg tent but try to keep it 79-82 in the flowering tent for the first half of flowering then I drop it down slowly afterward until a week before harvest 68-70 deg F to preserve volatile terpenes.

I think you are correct, in the late stages of flowering higher temps are not good. Mid to late flower I run mid 70's. Last week or two before harvest, 68-72 deg F. Before mid-flower the higher temps are valid and helpful for vigorous photosynthesis.

Back
Top Bottom