My seedlings are yellowing once again. Why am I cursed with this?

What’s going on big daddy @Acid
20240426_173603.jpg
20240426_182052.jpg
20240426_182056.jpg
20240426_182100.jpg

No good news so far.

All 11 days old now, one seems absolutely healthy for some reason, it somehow keeps a rich green color, but the tips of the lower leaves turn a really weird color, as if they're bleached. They also become crispy, but it doesn't seem like nute burn to me? It just looks off, and is very crispy. Also generally slower growth

Another plant also seems okay, but only partly. Then there's the two in the images, still trying their best to survive, but they haven't grown for around 3 days now. Newer growth is small, limp, lifeless, and newest growth is coming out yellow again. I feed them with tapwater, Bio Grow 2ml/L, currently around 500ml per plant, PH after adding Grow goes to 6.2-6.3PH. It takes around 2 days to become dry on top, but it's only the top quarter of an inch which is dry (about 5-6mm). I also noticed that my substrate is becoming rather hard on top, as if it's a shell. Is this normal? It's dry, but I could almost break it into pieces.

And obviously, you see the first signs of the later stages of my plants, which is leaves dying off with a light brown crispy color on the bottom. Nute burn is usually a darker brown, and more evenly, this is more of a cream colored weird stuff. This is the "end stage" usually, where everything just dies off, which is what I meant when I say "they're dying". This always happens to all my plants later on.

Current temps around 25°C, humidity ranging between 50 and 60%.

20240426_173603.jpg
20240426_182052.jpg
20240426_182056.jpg
20240426_182100.jpg

No good news so far.

All 11 days old now, one seems absolutely healthy for some reason, it somehow keeps a rich green color, but the tips of the lower leaves turn a really weird color, as if they're bleached. They also become crispy, but it doesn't seem like nute burn to me? It just looks off, and is very crispy. Also generally slower growth

Another plant also seems okay, but only partly. Then there's the two in the images, still trying their best to survive, but they haven't grown for around 3 days now. Newer growth is small, limp, lifeless, and newest growth is coming out yellow again. I feed them with tapwater, Bio Grow 2ml/L, currently around 500ml per plant, PH after adding Grow goes to 6.2-6.3PH. It takes around 2 days to become dry on top, but it's only the top quarter of an inch which is dry (about 5-6mm). I also noticed that my substrate is becoming rather hard on top, as if it's a shell. Is this normal? It's dry, but I could almost break it into pieces.

Current temps around 25°C, humidity ranging between 50 and 60%.
Nice work on those Air pots :thumb:
Girls look good.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

A small plant in a large pot will primarily explore the soil and show very little growth above ground, you should see some strong growth in due course, may take 7-10 days

Crisp brown tips - usually attributed to too much light or low humidity [for 25°C 70-80% would be better]
Judging by your nodes being so tightly packed together, maybe your lamp is a little too close
Watering the whole pot [but not soaking to run-off] will up the RH considerably
Some folk mist the surface of the soil between waterings to achieve the same thing without drowning the roots

They don't look too bad - I've grown out worse Acid

A small plant in a large pot will primarily explore the soil and show very little growth above ground, you should see some strong growth in due course, may take 7-10 days

Crisp brown tips - usually attributed to too much light or low humidity [for 25°C 70-80% would be better]
Judging by your nodes being so tightly packed together, maybe your lamp is a little too close
Watering the whole pot [but not soaking to run-off] will up the RH considerably
Some folk mist the surface of the soil between waterings to achieve the same thing without drowning the roots

They don't look too bad - I've grown out worse Acid

Lamp is actually really far away currently, to lessen the stress as said by someone here, forgot who it was. It's at only 200PPFD / PAR right now, just to lower the intensity and let them relax a bit. I do have a humidifier but I am a little scared of the calcium that builds up, as it's tapwater. I heard this can actually cause some calcium problems, I often have tons of white dust everywhere if I use that thing for a few weeks, but I could be totally wrong.

The growth was real quick from day 0 to day 8, but as soon as this yellowing came back, they stopped showing any form of growth. I also did a small slurry test with some wet substrate further away and distilled water, and it came out at 7.5PH, doesn't that seem a bit high if I'm watering with 6.2-6.3PH? I only grabbed like a spoonful of substrate, so I won't disturb anything

Well awesome then!

Gee64 wrote a blurb on this few months back. When soil crusts over its lack of calcium but not what most of us think… it’s related to soil tilth and best way to improve it is worm castings. If I recall correctly- it can crust up from too much castings or it can crust up from too little castings… which is weird.

Anyway think the suggestion was to break the crust and gently scratch the castings in but being careful not to disturb roots with either step. But also crusting can happen with watering practices as the media becomes compacted… so yeah not exactly sure where you are in all this. But I believe this is why castings are preferred for calcium over dolomite, dolomite slams ph, casting don’t.

I’d say don’t worry about the slurry test, those numbers change as the column of water moves thru the media. But the numbers should be high from dolomite right?

Remind me photos or autos? Think it was autos and yes they will start up slower exploring a larger pot…

Anywho that’s all I got- just checking in on you man!!

Well awesome then!

Gee64 wrote a blurb on this few months back. When soil crusts over its lack of calcium but not what most of us think… it’s related to soil tilth and best way to improve it is worm castings. If I recall correctly- it can crust up from too much castings or it can crust up from too little castings… which is weird.

Anyway think the suggestion was to break the crust and gently scratch the castings in but being careful not to disturb roots with either step. But also crusting can happen with watering practices as the media becomes compacted… so yeah not exactly sure where you are in all this. But I believe this is why castings are preferred for calcium over dolomite, dolomite slams ph, casting don’t.

I’d say don’t worry about the slurry test, those numbers change as the column of water moves thru the media. But the numbers should be high from dolomite right?

Remind me photos or autos? Think it was autos and yes they will start up slower exploring a larger pot…

Anywho that’s all I got- just checking in on you man!!

Biobizz does indeed contain worm humus, I think around 15% humus, 50% peat, and 30% perlite, that's all, besides the pre-mix of nutrients inside of it. That's interesting to know with the crust, I was unsure what exactly it was, but I imagine it isn't bad or something? I imagine it isn't seriously compacted, as I currently use a big syringe to water them, maybe it's just the very top being slightly compacted.

And about the slurry test - Yeah I don't know. 7.5 seems rather high, I took a sample around 2 inches down the pot, mixed it with distilled, and got that PH. Kinda scary number, but I'm not sure if that's of any importance.

My plants are autoflowers, transplanted from solo cups at day 7 or 8 I think, currently at day 12, no growth for 4 days now on all plants, but the leaves are currently all slowly dying with light brown tips and edges everywhere, slowly crisping up the whole plant. As I said, the end-stage of my plant death, as always. My stems are also still as thick as fresh seedlings on 3 out of 4 plants, but very woody and hard. They should be 5 times that size by now, they do not grow one bit, 2 out of 4 are stuck in time once again.

I'll wait how this one turns out for the next 1-2 weeks. I imagine 2 out of 4 plants are already considered dead by now, as all the leaves are slowly dying. The other 2 give some hope though, even though the leaves start dying too.

If all of this turns out for the worst again, I'll switch to a 4 pot autopot system with a reservoir, coco/perlite, an RO system, and straight up chemicals. I'm tired of having to put all my trust into organic life, yet it fools me every time. I need some control back, I think. I'll gladly lose some terps in return for absolute control and.. plants that actually survive. I sadly can't afford any of that right now, even if it's just around 300 bucks, so if these ones die, I'll stop this hobby for a few months and get back into it as soon as I can get this idea going. Let's hope for the best though.

Back
Top Bottom