My shortest crop: Buds galore but I have a question or two

sstressed

1640462583978.jpeg

4' 6" tent. two months in veg (watered too much, lights too high) one month in flower. six ladies, three genetics (got high and now have no idea who is who), i topped em, twisted the hurd (stressed them) and low stressed them by tying down the taller branches. one plant is a heavy feeder. two viparspectra xs2000s at 100% power and about 16 to 15 inches from the buds.

below is a typical plant. one foot to one foot several inches tall. 23 inches wide, 5 gallon cloth bags. i had some of my guinea pig's (may they rest in peace) hay left over and used some of it for top dressing (which is another first for me) so the floor looks bad but i'll clean it up.

i'm so used to having 4 foot tall plants even after everything was LSTrained that i have no idea if these are too short and should i stop with the bending of branches, topping etc.

1640462887306.jpeg

i grew under 1ooo watt HIDs for a long time and i'm using LEDs for the first time. it's going to take a couple more grows to figure out this new reality.

any advice to improve things? or are these shorties my new reality? i cant even guestimate the dry weight. i'm thinking an average of 1/2 oz. which will make this my smallest weight crop in 25 years. but it sure looks pretty.

merry christmas. i'm out of bud.

I know a lot advise says 500 watt led will replace a 1000 watt hps.
Not really true you have some great lights BUT there foot print.
Is not going to be anywhere near your HID.
Looks like a 5x5/4x4 space bar lighting would of given you a better par map.
I would say dont change what you already know works just add more lighting.
I think the XS range as i own a few is ideal for a none square space 3x4 etc.
Due to the design but as said there great lights.
And welcome to the fun house my friend ;)

Merry Christmas @sstressed great garden my friend.
You still have time for your buds to swell.
As @Skunksta Mentioned more light energy would be beneficial.
Also first pic lady on right looks hungry. Is she or is it just lighting?
Your canopy looks great , just maintain it there.
What nutrients are you using?

Stay safe
Bill

I personally only LST in Veg. Right now your plants look like mine when I first flip to flower. About a foot tall & 2 foot diameter. Once I flip I let everything grow upward & my plants end up about 2.5' - 3' tall. I see no reason to LST in flower as the buds will put weight on the branches & bend them outward on their own. I may have to tie branches up due to weight; but no need to tie them down the way I see it.
13-702.JPG
13-724.JPG
13-746.JPG
13-753.JPG

The plant with all the sticks is a Re-Veg "Cherry On Top".

Merry Christmas @sstressed great garden my friend.
You still have time for your buds to swell.
As @Skunksta Mentioned more light energy would be beneficial.
Also first pic lady on right looks hungry. Is she or is it just lighting?
Your canopy looks great , just maintain it there.
What nutrients are you using?

Stay safe
Bill
thank you. the LEDs take a little getting used to. i never thought of adding another xs2000 but if the tent can use it, i'll get another one for the next crop. i used ocean forest and didn't add nutes until week 6 in veg. then it was about 1/4 of the recommended dose. i've used every nute brand under the sun over the years, not the newer stuff, just the old standards. this round, i'm using fox farm nutes, half strength, and molasses and big bud. i have some overdrive and will try it for a couple feedings.

the light colored plant is the heavy feeder and i'm going to give it a bigger dose of stuff next feeding. it would have been pretty tall without all the traaining. i wish i knew what it was. :) long story but i think i have 4 plants that will be done at around 60 days. i cut them once the trichs are mostly cloudy with 5 to 10% amber.

i'm very curious how much these will bulk up. i've never gotten less than one oz per plant, other than some sea of green experiments but i just don't see much more then 1/2 to 3/4 oz per virgin. i hope i'm wrong.

edit - speaking of bulking up, i took a good look just now and most have bulked up noticeably from before the last feeding. yay!

I personally only LST in Veg. Right now your plants look like mine when I first flip to flower. About a foot tall & 2 foot diameter. Once I flip I let everything grow upward & my plants end up about 2.5' - 3' tall. I see no reason to LST in flower as the buds will put weight on the branches & bend them outward on their own. I may have to tie branches up due to weight; but no need to tie them down the way I see it.
13-702.JPG
13-724.JPG
13-746.JPG
13-753.JPG

The plant with all the sticks is a Re-Veg "Cherry On Top".
duuuuuude! such beauties. well done

thank you. the LEDs take a little getting used to. i never thought of adding another xs2000 but if the tent can use it, i'll get another one for the next crop. i used ocean forest and didn't add nutes until week 6 in veg. then it was about 1/4 of the recommended dose. i've used every nute brand under the sun over the years, not the newer stuff, just the old standards. this round, i'm using fox farm nutes, half strength, and molasses and big bud. i have some overdrive and will try it for a couple feedings.

the light colored plant is the heavy feeder and i'm going to give it a bigger dose of stuff next feeding. it would have been pretty tall without all the traaining. i wish i knew what it was. :) long story but i think i have 4 plants that will be done at around 60 days. i'm very curious how much these will bulk up. i've never gotten less than one oz per plant, other than some sea of green experiments but i just don't see much more then 1/2 to 3/4 oz per virgin. i hope i'm wrong.
Light energy and proper nutrition.
Two things you are lacking imo. :Namaste:
I think if you tried to increase your nutrients to recommended doses you would have better volume and quality.
And try to aim for 40 watts per square foot of tent space for a solid harvest.
You are doing ok though just try and keep improving.

Stay safe
Bill

I have full confidence that those 2 xs 2000 are going to satisfy your needs. I have 2 spider farmer 2000 which are essentially the same thing. They can use a good defoliation right now tbh. Do you defoliate?
i'm smiling thinking of more than 1/2 oz per plant.
i never defoliate. i remember when people first started doing it and proclaiming great things will happen. i think it's odd to take the leaves while there is life in them. until there are scientific tests, done by weed lovers, i'll keep the leaves and thank the gods for every gram. :)

Light energy and proper nutrition.
Two things you are lacking imo. :Namaste:
I think if you tried to increase your nutrients to recommended doses you would have better volume and quality.
And try to aim for 40 watts per square foot of tent space for a solid harvest.
You are doing ok though just try and keep improving.

Stay safe
Bill
good advice . i haven't grown in a few years and need to knock the rust off of my once green thumbs. buying legal weed was fun for awhile but the 300 to $400 per month can be put to better use. chinese food, mexican food, breakfast delivery doesn't come cheap.

oddly enough, growing legally just isn't the same. better i guess, but not as much fun.

i'm smiling thinking of more than 1/2 oz per plant.
i never defoliate. i remember when people first started doing it and proclaiming great things will happen. i think it's odd to take the leaves while there is life in them. until there are scientific tests, done by weed lovers, i'll keep the leaves and thank the gods for every gram. :)
I can't imagine what the lights off humidity is like in there. Good luck

I can't imagine what the lights off humidity is like in there. Good luck
i live in the desert. humidity is typically 30ish percent. so it's usually not a problem.

fortunately, the tent is in the spare bedroom so, depending on the temp outside, i will leave the tent flaps open which evens things out a bit. i keep humidity below 50% during flower, except right after feeding/watering. left alone, it hit 80% .

I'd be worried about Mildew & Mold too much if I didn't defol. I defol twice in Flower. Once after the 2-3 week stretch & then once the plant has about 75 - 80% Red Hairs. I usually grow Indica strains though which have big bushy leaves.
until @Jose Tall Grass mentioned it, i didn't think of the thickness of these plants vs my old grows that were much less dense and several feet taller. i have a 12" fan blowing in the tent but, i will experiment with a few and remove some leaves. i mostly grow sativa dominant genetics. but i needed a quick crop so more indica doms this time. i love that sweet smile sativas puts on my mind.

i spent 2 years wandering around thailand just because the weed was stunning.

i'm in mesa. fuck sherriff joe! :hookah:

thank you guys. advice is always welcome and appreciated.

1640556134764.jpeg

my first harvest in 5 years. i did some trimming. i had opened up the middle of these ladies so much that it's pretty clear of too much leaf material. work, work, work.

so i cut the twist tied branches. the plants look taller now. duh.

i'm starting to believe i'll get close to an oz or more per virgin. i don't count my sheep etc., but they drank all their water in 3 days. i'ma full dose them in a few hours. :ganjamon:

i thought i'd heard it all but i just read about washing the buds. made me laugh. i grow indoors, no dirt, no mold, no bugs, no washing.

don't get me wrong, experimenting is how we do what we do. but i still think it's funny.

Back
Top Bottom