Need electrical help.

Yeah, I missed it too...

Oh well. Guess I'll just have to read up on getting that outlet replaced. I've got a better part of a week before the ballast even gets here, so it shouldn't be an issue.

you could also stick one of those recepticals in a box and wire it up with a 15@ plug. then you will be able to move it from place to place without changing the receptical

Hey C...seems like yer tryin to kill flies with a bazooka (no offense to anyone)...the Hydrofarm standard issue manual timer is fairly cheap ($25.00), will run 2 1000's, 2-600's etc. Ive used the digitals and found them to be a pain trying to set. Hydro's are built specifically to run the big ballasts, are simple but tough and have great warranties if ya happen to run into problems which isnt likely. IMO, dead nuts reliable. You can find them at any grow store......:peace:MF

Hey C...seems like yer tryin to kill flies with a bazooka (no offense to anyone)...the Hydrofarm standard issue manual timer is fairly cheap ($25.00), will run 2 1000's, 2-600's etc. Ive used the digitals and found them to be a pain trying to set. Hydro's are built specifically to run the big ballasts, are simple but tough and have great warranties if ya happen to run into problems which isnt likely. IMO, dead nuts reliable. You can find them at any grow store......:peace:MF

the Hydrofarm standard issue timer is a 15 amp timer. just curious how long it would last and how safe it would be runnin 2-1000's when they pull upwards of 10 amps each.....your from Northern Ca, how many growhouse fires do you see in the news? :hmmmm:

the Hydrofarm standard issue timer is a 15 amp timer. just curious how long it would last and how safe it would be runnin 2-1000's when they pull upwards of 10 amps each.....your from Northern Ca, how many growhouse fires do you see in the news? :hmmmm:

Hey Hog...didnt mean to step on yer tail bro. Ive loaded the crap out of the Hydro and popped a breaker now n then but have not had issues with the timers. Presently I run a 1000, a 600, several fans and a small heater thru 1 timer. Ya know, Ive never really paid much attention to the amp max on the things. Perhaps I'm runnin a bit on the overload side. Thanks for the heads up. Still, using commercial timers for smaller grows seems a bit over the top but I cant argue with the better safe than sorry approach.

Yes the larger "grow houses" would be better served with a commercial install but I was under the impression Chimera was doin a much smaller grow. Again man, sorry if I offended, it was surely not my intent...:peace:MF

Hey Hog...didnt mean to step on yer tail bro. Ive loaded the crap out of the Hydro and popped a breaker now n then but have not had issues with the timers. Presently I run a 1000, a 600, several fans and a small heater thru 1 timer. Ya know, Ive never really paid much attention to the amp max on the things. Perhaps I'm runnin a bit on the overload side. Thanks for the heads up. Still, using commercial timers for smaller grows seems a bit over the top but I cant argue with the better safe than sorry approach.

Yes the larger "grow houses" would be better served with a commercial install but I was under the impression Chimera was doin a much smaller grow. Again man, sorry if I offended, it was surely not my intent...:peace:MF

no offense taken MF. unfortunately, many growers (large and small) don't pay enuf attention to this area of their operation. as chimera found out, things can get ugly if you don't. i would hate to see someone become a lesson to others about what not to do. :ganjamon:

H...Point well taken. As a contractor I tend to fly a bit too close too the sun from time to time. LOL Thanks again man, your words speak volumes...:peace:MF

How hard is it to replace an outlet?

actually its not hard to replace a outlet as long as you turn off the power from the breaker. As soon as you do that you can remove the 2 screws on the outlet and pull it out slightly to see the wires, all you have to do is put the wirs back as you see them on the old outlet.

Oh yeah Bro you're so lucky you caught that in time cause man it would be ugly. BE CAREFUL ...............YOU DONT MESS WITH ELECTRICITY.

one way to know how much amps you pulling on an outlet is check the actual devices and see how many amps it uses, add them up and there you go you know how much amps are on 1 outlet.

did you get the issues worked out buddy? if not i can walk threw adding a breaker to your existing panel and running XO cord ether threw addict or round the house , very simple and prob 100-150$ parts doing with SO cord and about 40$ threw addict also dont forget if yo have over head lights you can draw from there but , lighting circuits if installed correctly are 15 amps and wall plugs are 20amps again if installed correctly , BUT IF ANY GROWERS HAVE ALUMINUM WIRING IN HOME (THINK BUILT EARLY 60'S USED SHORT TIME) TAKE EXTRA CARE NOT TO OVERLOAD AND IF YOU SERVICE IT USE NOLOX THE WIRE WILL EXPLODE AT LOOSE CONNECTIONS OR MELT DOWN IF OVERLOADED BAD STUFF , IF YO LOOK AT ELECTRICAL LIKE TRAFFIC THAT GOES FROM 6 LANES TO 2 LANES AND ALL THE CARS GET HOT AS THE SQUEEZE TOGETHER TILL EVENTUALLY IT JUST COMES TO A STOP , ANYWAYS I WILL DO MY BEST TO ANSWER ANY ELECTRICAL ISSUES ANYBODY HAS , I HAD 6 YEARS IN COMMERCIAL ELECTRICAL 2 YEARS AS FOREMAN TILL CARPEL TUNNEL GOT ME

did you get the issues worked out buddy? if not i can walk threw adding a breaker to your existing panel and running XO cord ether threw addict or round the house , very simple and prob 100-150$ parts doing with SO cord and about 40$ threw addict also dont forget if yo have over head lights you can draw from there but , lighting circuits if installed correctly are 15 amps and wall plugs are 20amps again if installed correctly , BUT IF ANY GROWERS HAVE ALUMINUM WIRING IN HOME (THINK BUILT EARLY 60'S USED SHORT TIME) TAKE EXTRA CARE NOT TO OVERLOAD AND IF YOU SERVICE IT USE NOLOX THE WIRE WILL EXPLODE AT LOOSE CONNECTIONS OR MELT DOWN IF OVERLOADED BAD STUFF , IF YO LOOK AT ELECTRICAL LIKE TRAFFIC THAT GOES FROM 6 LANES TO 2 LANES AND ALL THE CARS GET HOT AS THE SQUEEZE TOGETHER TILL EVENTUALLY IT JUST COMES TO A STOP , ANYWAYS I WILL DO MY BEST TO ANSWER ANY ELECTRICAL ISSUES ANYBODY HAS , I HAD 6 YEARS IN COMMERCIAL ELECTRICAL 2 YEARS AS FOREMAN TILL CARPEL TUNNEL GOT ME

Think I've got everything worked out! Thank you so much.

Here's the final set up:

1st 20A Circuit - 15A Timer w/ 2 ft 12G extension cable leading to 1000w magnetic ballast

2nd 20A Circuit - 15 ft. extension to two inline fans, a box fan and some pumps

Does that look pretty safe to you?

Think I've got everything worked out! Thank you so much.

Here's the final set up:

1st 20A Circuit - 15A Timer w/ 2 ft 12G extension cable leading to 1000w magnetic ballast

2nd 20A Circuit - 15 ft. extension to two inline fans, a box fan and some pumps

Does that look pretty safe to you?

Providing you have nothing else on those circuits it looks good to me.

i would recommend using surge protectors as well my be a pain resetting them but you wont burn down. i have a surge protector on my lights and a seprate protector on my pump.

CHEERS!!

At that price you could really just buy 1 timer per light :peace:if you wanted to play it safe

i would recommend using surge protectors as well my be a pain resetting them but you wont burn down. i have a surge protector on my lights and a seprate protector on my pump.

CHEERS!!

just keep one thing in mind with surge protecters....they are not current limiting devices...they only respond to voltage spikes (or surges), not current spikes. they are typically used in conjunction with electronic devices that don't handle voltage spikes well. :smokin:

just keep one thing in mind with surge protecters....they are not current limiting devices...they only respond to voltage spikes (or surges), not current spikes. they are typically used in conjunction with electronic devices that don't handle voltage spikes well. :smokin:

im not disagreeing with you bro, but most modern surge protecters will trip when there is an substantial increase in draw as well. if a plug is arcing it should cause enough of draw to confuse the protecter into tripping. this has only been my experience with the kind of power strips that i use though. kind of like a surge/ GFCI at the same time ya know?

CHEERS!

How hard is it to replace an outlet?

Dude PM me or ask here.
I built my own house along with several others, am a Disabled Teamster who drove mixer, licensed for just about everything. I can give u solid advice here or there.

Have updated, and retrofitted, industrial, commercial, and residential, properties with the explicit intention of a maintainable secret garden as when building these complex agricultural investments it becomes imperative immediately, that we must maintain the integrity of the systems preventing any loss to person, or property, from police, fire, or unwanted Emergency Services Personnel.

Plain and simple:
My Motto: "There would be no mechanical, or systems, errors ever."

to insure this takes experience, time, money, and the ability to manage a garden in a specific location indefinitely.
No more guerrilla gardens (for those w/license)

Back
Top Bottom