Need help growing first time

shaun131993

hey guys my plants about a month old and its a foot tall the strain is northern lights i thought it might be growing a little slow but im not sure the lower leaves just died off which i hear is normal but today i noticed the next set of leaves were turning a little yellow as well i used miracle grow which i hear is bad cause i has high ph so i was thinking its either a ph or nitrogen deficiency

DSC_004343.JPG
DSC_004435.JPG

She looks very healthy. I'm sure something happened early on in her life that would be causing the lower yellowing. But it's not something you need to be concerned about. These leaves will fall off and it's normal. Keep an eye on the new growth to ensure that there's nothing going on.

Are you feeding her anything? If not, it's time. If so, maybe a slight adjustment to your PPM to increase nitrogen.

All the best my friend!

Glad Pigeon said it first because she looks fine to me as well. (put more stock in his opinion over mine, he is way more experienced and knowledgeable then myself)
As far as the Miracle Grow medium or as some call it Miracle if anything will Grow in it. The only real bad thing I have read about it is that it can create problems in the later stages of development. I believe it has something to do with their time release nutrients they use. I know you mentioned it was 12 inches tall but how long has this plant been in this medium? I run FF Ocean harvest and they recommend no feedings the 1st 4 weeks, then 1/4 strength to start. Not sure what the recommendation for MG is but I would imagine it would be somewhat similar. I am sure their website could be more accurate on that information.

Keep us all updated on her progress

I will agree that so far she looks healthy, but that yellowing at the bottom looks like it may be creeping upward, and that may spell trouble. Let's look at some basics before we freak though. I assume from the color and shape of your top leaves that you do not water too often and that you are careful about pH. The yellowing has to be something else, and at this point in the grow I do not consider this normal at all, it is your plant talking to you.

I have a rule that I follow in regards to up-potting to the next sized container, and I suspect that you may be at the point where she is starting to get a little root bound. What size is that container, and how long has she been in there? I look for 2 things when it comes to up-potting... first I watch the wet/dry cycle very carefully and as soon as it approaches 24 hours I transplant to the next larger size. I also look for the first signs of stress at the bottom, her way of telling you that she is not getting all the macronutrient that she craves as her roots are running into the sides of the pot and wrapping at the bottom.

I think you are there... and that all she needs is to get some nice new fresh soil beneath her pretty little feet.

I will agree that so far she looks healthy, but that yellowing at the bottom looks like it may be creeping upward, and that may spell trouble. Let's look at some basics before we freak though. I assume from the color and shape of your top leaves that you do not water too often and that you are careful about pH. The yellowing has to be something else, and at this point in the grow I do not consider this normal at all, it is your plant talking to you.

I have a rule that I follow in regards to up-potting to the next sized container, and I suspect that you may be at the point where she is starting to get a little root bound. What size is that container, and how long has she been in there? I look for 2 things when it comes to up-potting... first I watch the wet/dry cycle very carefully and as soon as it approaches 24 hours I transplant to the next larger size. I also look for the first signs of stress at the bottom, her way of telling you that she is not getting all the macronutrient that she craves as her roots are running into the sides of the pot and wrapping at the bottom.

I think you are there... and that all she needs is to get some nice new fresh soil beneath her pretty little feet.

This is great advice!

I usually water them 2x per day once with pure water and the 2nd time i mist the soil and plant with some rhino skin and water solution hes been in there for about a month and the pot size is a quart i should probably move up to a 3 gallon pot soon (just cause i do not want to have to pot again) iv never done it b4 just watched a vid looked pretty easy or should i use a smaller pot and just work my way up for better results also thanks guys for the help

it needs a different type of soil or just fresh because i feel like hes growing a little slow i wanted to switch up the soil and make a mix that is 60% true moo 20% pete moss and 20% pro lite with a little bat guano what you guys think

I usually water them 2x per day once with pure water and the 2nd time i mist the soil and plant with some rhino skin and water solution hes been in there for about a month and the pot size is a quart i should probably move up to a 3 gallon pot soon (just cause i do not want to have to pot again) iv never done it b4 just watched a vid looked pretty easy or should i use a smaller pot and just work my way up for better results also thanks guys for the help

a couple of things here...

first, your watering method. I was wrong above when I assumed that you were not an overwaterer, because you are watering too often. You need to let your lower roots dry out and get oxygen once a wet/dry cycle, or eventually they drown (so to speak) and they simply stop working very well. The yellowing is the result... the strong tap roots are in trouble and your plant is no longer able to get the ever increasing amounts of nutrients that it needs.

please as soon as you are done reading this, look up the "lift method" to determine when it is time to water. This is a weed, and weeds do not thrive being coddled... they actually thrive in a little bit of adversity, for that is what weeds do. You really need to dry this container out each time between waterings and the best way to do that is to lift up the container, and if you can feel any water weight at all, it is NOT time to water yet. I am running about 4-5 days on my plants right now between waterings, and they love it. The misting the soil is also not accomplishing anything good past the seedling stage when that is the preferred way to water until the roots establish and lock the plant in place and all you are doing by keeping that soil wet on top with your mister is encouraging mold to grow.

second, yes, it is highly desirable to successively up pot to various sizes of containers before going to your final large container that you will flower in. Part of the deal is having to up-pot and if you want to do this right you can't get lazy and just plop a weed that isnt ready yet into a large container because she will simply shoot her feeder roots down to the bottom and will never develop a container sized root ball. That is why we put them in small pots and let them outgrow them, so as to build a solid rootball at each stage.

So, to summarize, immediately reexamine your watering method. It is the cause of this yellowing that I already warned was a cry for help from your plant and not to be ignored. Let those lower roots dry out and establish a clear wet/dry cycle in your container using the lift method. When you do water, water with gusto, and slowly attempt to get your soil to hold as much water as you can manage, until it starts running off at the bottom. Then, sit on your hands for several days, until your plant can find and use all of that water. As your roots get stronger, the time between waterings will start to decrease, and watch this carefully, it is another clue as to how healthy your plants are. I even keep a running chart on the side of each of my containers so there is no doubt when I watered last, and I watch my wet/dry cycle go from 6 days to 5 days and eventually to 3 days or shorter in smaller containers. About the time it stabilizes at some number, it is time to up-pot too. It is a good system, but you have to be aware of what your plant is doing and how much water she is using at any given time. Your method does not give you that, and you need to seize control of this thing.
Once you see that the roots are in good shape again, and it shouldn't take more than a couple of cycles, gently pull her out of that container and take a look under her skirts, and see if you see any wrapping of roots at the bottom. If you do, then it is also time to up-pot, maybe to a 1 gallon sized container this time. I think you will be surprised how much faster she will grow, if you can just be a little less kind to her. When it comes to growing a weed, sometimes you got to be cruel to be kind. :)

it needs a different type of soil or just fresh because i feel like hes growing a little slow i wanted to switch up the soil and make a mix that is 60% true moo 20% pete moss and 20% pro lite with a little bat guano what you guys think

new growers are so quick to blame the soil, or the water, or lack of nutes... but never their own methods. :) It is part of being new, and I was like that once too. She is growing slowly for a good reason... lets fix that and repair the roots before blaming externalities. Think about putting her in a good amended soil for flower though, definitely want something good for that last 3,5,or 7 gallon bucket.

alright emilya i will start using the lift method asap do u think i should go ahead and pot up?

no, fix the known problem first. resist the urge to uppot as long as you can, your root ball will thank you. Besides, if you use a shotgun approach every time the plant starts complaining at you, how are you going to know what fixed it? And... your plant is already stressing because of the water thing... why would you want to stress her even more with a transplant?

hey there again guys so i learned the new watering method and i also uppotted as well and they still seem to be yellowing abit got any info that might help me out?
DSC_005233.JPG
DSC_005136.JPG

I agree with Emilya. Let her dry out. COMPLETELY. You will see the lower leaves start to droop and the top of the soil will be dry. The container will be much lighter so its easy to tell. If you have N in you soil I would leave it alone and water with distilled or R/O water until she asks for food.
I do disagree with the source of yellowing.
was this grown from seed or from a clone? Reason I ask, I have had clones that eat up those bottom leaves just those three fingered ones though. Unless you start to see yellowing starting to creep onto the next set of leaves I wouldn't stress.

Also, did you end up changing your soil makeup?

It was grown from a seed and I did let it dry out completely and yes i did give it fresh soil and uppot he was rootbound I did not change to a different soil so im still using miracle grow also just bought a humidifier to keep the humidity up hell love that

It was grown from a seed and I did let it dry out completely and yes i did give it fresh soil and uppot he was rootbound I did not change to a different soil so im still using miracle grow also just bought a humidifier to keep the humidity up hell love that

Cool! So I wouldn't worry about the little 3 fingers going green. Those were the first fan leaves to come out and its natural for them to die off.
Way to go with the up-potting. If they were root bound but not too much then you great timing!!

With the MG you really have to be careful about adding any other nutrients. MG can so fine but you may start to see your plant exhibit N loss, then when you give some to her she'll burn. It has something to do with time release nutes.

I'd water with distilled water and let her tell you if she needs anything else. It should be a while before you have to give anything but water.
I would also look into moving away from the MG and work with something more controllable.

What has your RH been? Keep in mind, the plants like humidity *in veg, but so do bugs. You gotta find the line and tip toe on it

Back
Top Bottom