Im a first time grower and I need all the help I can get

DabQueen

Recently I was given a plant i guess you could call a rescue? The person I got it from was growing it in their house and couldn't really care for it so they gave it to me. When I got it it was just 5 or 6 inches tall but the leaves were droopy and just looked lifeless. Since I've gotten it it seems to be growing and thriving for the most part , and is now probably a little over a foot tall. I've noticed some leaves at the bottom of the plant have started to turn yellow and then brown and die. Is this generally normal? The rest of the plant looks beautiful and full of life I just want to make sure this isn't the start of a bigger problem that could result in the rest of the plant dying. I have NEVER grown before and all I know about growing is what I've found on google. So please help any way you can.

G'day Dabqueen, Welcome to 420! I'll share some photos with you that will help you better understand Nutrient Excess/Deficiency.

ND5.png
ND4.png
ND2.png
ND3.png
ND1.png

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions, don't be shy in asking :) Cheers

That is normal for later stages of growth. It can be normal in veg for a plant growing really fast so it is choking the light out from the bottom.

More likely you are just running low on nitrogen. When the plant can't get enough nitrogen it steals it from the leaves that stored it up. Like trees, all summer long building that up and then in fall it yellows as it looses leaves and makes flowers. Loosing them early happens becasue the medium is empty or the light to them is so blocked they are not working so the plant reabsorbes them.

Pics would help.

420-magazine-mobile1050142959.jpg
420-magazine-mobile620804134.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1037620178.jpg
420-magazine-mobile554140662.jpg

I hope these help a little bit. I tried to get decent pictures but sometimes my camera is ridiculous.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using 420 Magazine Mobile App

If you let the plant go too far before watering, the lower leaves take the hit. Not only will the plant take nitrogen from the lower leaves, it will also take water from them first. If you pay careful attention, you'll see your lower leaves will start to droop first when the plant needs water. Do this too many times and the lower fans will die, turn brown and fall off.

Just something to think about.

Correct me if I am wrong but looking at your pictures I see what appears to be PM on the leaf last 2 pictures lower right hand side of the picture. It appears to look like powder sugar or talcum powder on the leaves. If you have PM (Powdery Mildew) that would explain the issue with the leaves dying, it is a systemic disease the best you can hope for is to keep it under control.

Yeah I agree that is a diseased plant. If you had more plants around I would say kill that one.

You could attempt to get it to the end game and you likely will learn a lot but it wont be a home run. I think you said you didn't really have lights to begin with? Honestly that is a pile of work to deal with...that may not be a plant for a novice. As in if you don't have the equipment and know how already it may be a very expensive path to failure.

I would start by cleaning her up and really getting some cloths and cleaning as much of that mold away as you can and remove the rotting stuff.

Too bad ...so sad.

But yeah that is not the "natural" yellowing I was hoping you meant.

Well thank you for the information. As for the powdery mildew stuff you guys were talking about what exactly would cause it and if I clean her up a bit what are the chances of the plant recovering? I understand that with it being my first time its really a long shot to make it all the way to the end game but I really want to try.

DabQueen

I really hope its not gonna be that bad. Like I said I got the plant from someone else. There was a bit of powdery stuff on it when I got it but at the time I wasn't aware of what it was to stop it earlier.

DabQueen

420-magazine-mobile227912881.jpg

Well I cleaned her up and got rid of the dead stuff and this is what she looks like in the few days since. I haven't noticed anymore powdery mildew stuff yet so I'm hoping I got it in time. I also changed how close the plant was to the lights which also seems to have helped with some of the leaf discoloration. So I guess I see what happens from here?

DabQueen

Looks much happier these days. Keep her clean. Like some one else said, at the very least it will be educational which is priceless. Pm and heat killed me during my first grow, spidermites were easier to handle for me, (not easy at all) but everyone has a different set of variables.

The best solution for powdery mildew I've found is potassium bicarbonate. Mix it at the rate of 4 teaspoons per gallon of water (1 tsp per quart).

I hate to break more bad news to you but PM is a systemic disease spread by spores but once infected lives within the plant. Think of it like herpes, once you get it, you always have it, you can control it, but it will NEVER go away. Yeah you trimmed off the white infected areas but it lives within the plant itself so it will be back, you can use what Major Pita suggested and it will keep it in check, just be sure to apply it right at lights out NOT lights on, trust me on this one, if you do it at the beginning of lights on you will cook your plants and I mean crunchy brown cooked. As for what causes it, well high humidity, insufficient air movement are a couple of culprits, another is air born spores from an different infected plant that drift over to your plant either through the air or on your clothing. If you try to finish out this grow may I suggest you check for the white powdery looking spores on your leaves DAILY and treat your plants every 3 to 5 days no longer, sooner if you see the white powder on anything plant related. Also when you harvest do the bud wash that everyone on 420 does but before you do that wash your buds in a 10% H2O2 solution then do the regular bud wash.. It is going to suck but if your stead fast and stay on top of it, you can still get a smokeable product at harvest but you will earn it with lots of hard work.

Best of luck my friend

Back
Top Bottom