Need help identifying a pest: running out of ideas

Dayglo

420 Member
Hello everyone, I'm not a first time grower, this is my 6th batch and I already ran and dealt with classics like fungus gnats.

But I've never seen anything like that. On the sticky trap, it looks like dust, I thought it was soil that got pushed by the fan on the trap (had it close to soil) but did a test with a slice of potato on soil and I had same thing on it but it was moving ...

I got a digital microscope (well, let's face it , a small hand held one) and see the attached picture for the close up. What the heck is that ? Looks like mini slugs but they sure aren't. I'm not seeing any bugs on leaves or anything odd but some leaves are drying in a dark grey manner. Plant is ok but I'm not happy about it...

So far I tried

1) One batch of nematodes (but had them in fridge for a month not sure if they were still ok)
2) one peroxyde wash (one quarter in a gallon, worked super well for gnats but those critters don't seem to care)

I ordered a fresh batch of nematodes and hopefully it's going to work, but please, does any one knows exactly what they are ?

IF the answer is "duh they are nematodes" then wow I'll have learned a new thing but as far as I know (by reading) nematodes move a few mm a day and my potatoe slice got covered in 2 hours.

Thank you very much

Attachments

• Snap_002.jpg
    Snap_002.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 111
they seem to be smaller than that and I don't see any on leaves only at soil level, really weird. Though I'm no entomologist. (kinda wish I was right now). If they are thrips my new batch of fresh nematodes should kill them hopefully.

OK if they aren't eating your plants what are they eating?? Food for thought.

Likely fine - there's LOTS more insects in the soil than on plants. A staggering amount more actually most all are beneficial.

You sticky traps have a chemical pesticide on them?? If so, it likely off gasses and you will be ingesting it with your weed. A little more food for thought there as well.

Best way to find out if you have pests is to inspect your crop daily. Look at leaves and underside of leaves. The soil should be alive and that includes many beneficial insects. They dont eat plants but they might eat other insects and eggs of those that do eat plants.

What kind of medium are you growing in? My last grow was organic (LOS) and I found many pin head sized critters on glue boards that i placed on top of the soil. Freaked me out at first. After reading about it I realized I have living organic soil and it is all part of the eco system. They are beneficial and were all helping to break down organic matter in the soil.

Back
Top Bottom