Need Help, New T8 Lighting, New Grower!

Ritz5220

Grow help needed! T8 lighting - Low budget
Hello! I'm so excited for this to be happening. This project quite literally fell into my lap, by all means I accept the challenge that has been set before me. Where could I possibly begin? I simply request you don't laugh at me when you hear my sad story as to how my plants came to be what they are today. I will of course soon introduce you to my pretty little ladies, but late is the hour. Germination was my worst enemy... I ruined several of my finest bag-seeds. I'm talking some primo stuff for around here. All due to lack of materials( and let's face it, knowledge. But my friends one had survived, oh yes she fought. My beautiful Cynthia, went with the shot glass soak method, only managed to crack the seed and expose the tail. This along with two others I managed to pull a miracle out of them. Their names are, Angela, Belle, and of course Cynthia. They fought so hard for life to to my ignorance, again I do sincerely ask for little judgement on my lack of material, and again knowledge. I'll get right into and just tell you, I actually managed to grow these girls with... Wait for it. Drum roll please.... 200 watt incandescent light bulb.

I'm waiting for the crickets and the jaw drop stares. Yes. People I know. What an idiot, are you serious. If there is one thing you have read, it's that you can't do that. But despite my stupidity, and with a second 200 watt bulb, i grew the three with surprising results, although thin stems and weak rooting issues at the beginning. I transplanted them with more soil twice, each with better result from the girls. On my second transplant I moved belle, my shining star plant to a bigger "pot" if you will.( I'll get into that later) So adding to the addition are DiDi and Evette, which were both successfully germinated properly with the paper towel method( though I will not that I had wrapped my paper towel with a grocery bag and placed with my lights and plants, kept at 78-82 degrees).
Anyhow, they were added, 8 days after original batch. Now here is the silver lining folks, I know your waiting to yell at me about all the great alternatives for lighting and saving money, I get it. Shame on me. But fortune and blessing have smiled upon me and by happy circumstances through my job I came across several, yes several 4' x 2' 600 watt ballast fluorescent lights.( if that's correct, I'm going to double check tomorrow for 100% accuracy).

But cue the golden bells and the lights, I have literally been saved. Currently running them with the 4, 30 watt 3500k bulbs. My plants have instantly thanked me by starting their second, and third sets of leaves within 36 hours of being under their new lights. Will note i'm still experiencing issues with Angela, stunted growth, leaves are deformed and some very light yellow/browning on ends of leaves. I knew going into this I would soon run into nutrient deficiencies. Will note that Evette has yet to sprout its first set of leaves, have seen the first node though, nearly microscopic. I suspect my soil maybe to dense for it, maybe over watering. Decent soil if anyone has any feedback on it. It's called hyponex by Scotts. They certainly didn't seem to mind it once I transplanted.(Will be providing pictures of plants, lights, and set up tomorrow.)

So there it is everyone. I am the newbie who by dumb luck has come across some great equipment here. And I'm very excited to break into this world, I'm coming in throwing punches and my girls are amazing, I love them very much and am so appreciative of them and this whole experience. Words can't express my joy for wanting to train my green thumb! My oldest plants are 15 days old today, the others are 8 and 9. You will of course notice stunted growth when I upload my pictures, but bear with me and my new set up, and again, I would love all the feed back in the world!! I need advice like its no ones business. I want to treat my girls right so they treat me right. So with that I will close for tonight, marking the beginning of my very first grow , and grow journal. All questions and comments are very much obliged and will be gladly answered and appreciated. I'm splitting outta here every body, take it easy and light up!

-Ritz!

Hello and welcome, one and all. As promised for anyone who has read into this, I have some pictures!!

Broken record here, but once again I would appreciate the least of amount of harsh criticism. But I digress, here are my girls! In order from birth.

image19175.jpeg
image19173.jpeg
image19174.jpeg
image19176.jpeg
image19172.jpeg

Gonna keep this pretty short have to run off soon, and I had difficulty figuring out how to upload properly.
Anyways, these are my girls! Belle is my biggest and brightest shining star, Cynthia was my problem child until I took better care of her.
Angela is having difficulty rooting properly and is showing deformities. DiDi show signs of being late but healthy. Evette is late and not showing much improvement. But I'm quite confident I will be able to pull the girls back to life with the proper care. Would love any feedback on my first set of babies!

I also not that I have started six more bag seeds in germination. Waiting for results on them. Other than that, I will be back later to discuss my lighting equipment, issues and questions I might have. So to anyone willing to participate in my post please feel free to leave any comments, questions and I will be sure to follow up with everyone! Until then, take it easy and light up!

-Ritz

Searching for help on my lights, need to know just what exactly I can push with this light and my coverage area. I took a few pictures if anyone know anything about electricity and all that good stuff. Any and all help would be appreciated.

image19178.jpeg
image19177.jpeg

That will power 4 32w t8 tubes so thats about 128 watts

Thats definitely an upgrade from an incandescent so your moving in the right direction lol

Those bulbs are very good for the vegetative stage.
They can be very close to your plants without burning.

I have grown with these on my first grow and tho i did harvest 100 grams from 3 plants it wasnt ideal.

I have pictures of it somewhere on here.
But to paint the picture
i had 5 or 6 of the 2 bulbs t8 fixtures and i surrounded my dwc tub with them standing up as well as hanging overhead with some cfl ranging in different wattages.
I also made sure that during flower i mixed the spectrum and had more 2700k

Like i said i was able to harvest some decent buds in the end but the plants were very lanky and the buds were very airy
They did have a nice amount of trichomes but nothing close to what i get with hps (duh obviously)

You should be able to veg a few plants under there for a while. Keeping the bulbs nice and close to keep everything from stretching to much.

If you plant to flower with it i would only flower 2 maybe 3

Also with that light lst will be your best weapon!
What size is your grow area how much room are you working with and will you be adding any more lights?

Not So Rookie Anymore

My area is 4.5 x 2 x 5 with a little room for extra if so needed. I plan on buying different range bulbs, because I'm running at 3500k not ideal for veg. Also working on getting nutes if anyone has any recommendations. I've also procured another light set. Essentially when my plants get tall enough, at least 1 1/4 ft tall, I plan on putting another set of lights on both sides of my plants. When I do this I will also be sealing them off. Adding ductile work, complete with a fan and carbon scrubber. And yes I have been told not to expect the greatest buds from these lights alone. I've been pushed into the directions of supplementing with led's if anyone has any thoughts on it. Will be back home soon for a little more research. As far as flowering goes, I pray for all females of course. But with bag seeds the possibilities are endless. If I end up with 3 or 4, I will keep them at a medium size with LST. Thank you for your feedback! Everything helps!
Will be back later for specs on growing ideas. Till then take it easy and light up!

Hello one and all! I'm terribly sorry for my poor upkeep on my own grow journal, downright shameful. Having said that its been quite a busy few weeks for me. But no excuses I am back and ready to grow! Even after a few setbacks which I will of course discuss very soon. Quick little update everyone, just gonna break the ice on this one. Cynthia and Evette were unable to make it due to my lack of proper maintenance and care taking. As mentioned in a previous post, I have several of these light setups. I of course have my main positioned 3 inches above my plants. Checked the temps when ran after 72 hours, came up to 78.4 degrees. The top of my plants read 75.6 while my soil maintains 72 degrees. So thinking I was safe with my fans on, I set up another set of lights, just two 3500k t8's. So due to the new lights, after 72 hours I noticed a significant jump in growth, but I also forgot to monitor the temperature after I did this. So I burned up Evette and Cynthia. The others escaped with minor burns and have since recovered quite well, even my problem child Angela has pulled miracles. So without further ado, here are my beautiful girls!

From February 7th:
Angela
420-magazine-mobile183411168.jpg

Didi
420-magazine-mobile192364275.jpg

Belle( before she was topped )
Try not to judge the droopy leaves, this was done by me playing with the leaves trying to expose more light.
420-magazine-mobile2050479540.jpg

These were taken while I still had them under both sets of lights.

Now February 14th:
Angela
420-magazine-mobile1574476890.jpg

Didi
420-magazine-mobile1566348400.jpg

Belle! ( after she was topped 4 days prior )
420-magazine-mobile1397624821.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1169728452.jpg

Now only two days later, check em out.

Angela
420-magazine-mobile1161936914.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1644174402.jpg

Didi
420-magazine-mobile721192948.jpg
420-magazine-mobile519751734.jpg

Belle, these photos will speak for themselves.
420-magazine-mobile737401333.jpg
420-magazine-mobile272733176.jpg
420-magazine-mobile418440605.jpg

Six nodes from a single topping! They have already started their second nodes! I'm so extremely excited at her growth, it is simply spectacular! Perhaps not to everyone, but for me at least, I'm so incredibly thrilled at my girls progress, from 2x200 watt incandescent to their new 4x32 watt t8 lights. Angela and belle are both 26 days old! While Didi is only 18 days old!

So everyone, you have been brought up to speed with everything so far. I plan on topping Didi soon, she has started her fifth node which will be ready to top in a day or two. I also switched out didi from her old smaller pot, into Cynthias' old pot. Slowed down growth only momentarily, has since recovered quite quickly.

So there it is everyone, please send me some feedback or any advice, criticisms, and opinions! All are very much welcomed and appreciated! So let me know what everyone thinks!

Will be back in a day or two to discuss new lighting options as well as update you all on when I plan on switching to flower, how much I hope to yield, and all that other good stuff!

Till then, take it easy and light up!

-Ritz

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hey Ritz! We all gotta start somewhere, no shame in that! Your progress is headed the right way for sure. I'm not done with my first Grow yet, so I can't offer much advice, but I'm subbed up!

425Jesse - Grow 2 - A Journey With Super Silver Haze From Seed In Soil

Jolly Rancher Sativa - A Rookie Adventure Indoors

Very appreciative of the sub! Yes this is quite a new and exhilarating experience for me. Every time I see new growth I just geek out! Will be headed over to check out your grow some more! Definitely have a sub coming your way!

Quick little update, beautiful Saturday over here. Plants are doing well, with a noticeable growth spurt from Belle. She retains the fresh earthy "Green" verde smell. Mildly so. Now Angela still impresses me with her resilience, slow grow rate, but has healthy 5th node. A lighter green smell from her. Now Didi, I will have to admit, seems to have slowed down to a below average growth rate. Albeit she is healthy with a nice fifth node as well, but will note a very surprising "Skunky" smell. Very intoxicating!

Overall I'm very happy with my beautiful girls. So forgiving to my lack of knowledge and resources. I couldn't have asked for a better batch to start my first grow with.

So with that everyone, quite a busy day ahead of me. I will of course post some pictures later on tonight. Till then, take it easy and light up!

-Ritz

Well, if anyone is even paying attention at this point. I'm terribly sorry for my absence. I took a fall from a ladder at work, broke my collar bone, forearm, wrist and 3 fingers. As you can imagine I've been laid up and useless. But I digress. I still could not ignore my girls though. I made a few emergency calls and got them taken care of before any damage occurred. Buddy of mine stuck them under his T5 setup, got them back on Wednesday, have to say, I didn't remember them quite so big. Amidst all this I was busy away ordering some supplies, 36x36 grow tent, 300w Vipar led light, fans, carbon scrubber and ducting. Also on the way is some fox farm ocean floor soil and a 4 gallon bucket so I can transplant angela, she is starved for more room for her roots to grow. Which is also what I believe to be causing her deformities. I've got another bucket for Didi, but I'm holding off on her because she was topped 5 days ago at my request and is still recovering.

So there we go guys, I believe I have caught us up too speed, I'm hanging in there trying to make these girls the best they can be. They haven't given up on me yet, so neither will I! On the way are some pictures. I'll take a few of the setup tomorrow. I'll be trying to keep up with a few other post as well. Till then, take it easy and light up!

-Ritz

Hey ritz I veg with t8. Here is a thought that worked wonders for me. Google overdrive t8. Its simple and safe. What u do I have a ballast made to power four bulbs power two. Lil wiring and another ballast get twice as much lumens. Google it and it shows everything in how it's done. M gonna see if I can upload these pics of before and after the overdrive.

420-magazine-mobile2082547745.jpg

Thats before now after I re wired for one ballast to run two bulbs!!

420-magazine-mobile788075225.jpg

Do you see the difference? Made my veg plants stay more compact and healthy hope I can help and come over and check my first grow out. M a noob also but read and read and read!! Cant wait to see what you come up with!!

Pino's Coco & Perlite - Thunderpaws - First Grow Ever 2017

Hey ritz I veg with t8. Here is a thought that worked wonders for me. Google overdrive t8. Its simple and safe. What u do I have a ballast made to power four bulbs power two. Lil wiring and another ballast get twice as much lumens. Google it and it shows everything in how it's done. M gonna see if I can upload these pics of before and after the overdrive.

420-magazine-mobile2082547745.jpg

Thats before now after I re wired for one ballast to run two bulbs!!

420-magazine-mobile788075225.jpg

Do you see the difference? Made my veg plants stay more compact and healthy hope I can help and come over and check my first grow out. M a noob also but read and read and read!! Cant wait to see what you come up with!!

Pino's Coco & Perlite - Thunderpaws - First Grow Ever 2017

Okay, I see what you did there. I'll be honest. I'm not a fan of electricity. I've dabbled a little with it, with terrible results. Lol. Anyways yes absolutely I'll be sure to check it out. That's very interesting what you did there.

Here we go, just a few quick pictures from yesterday. Ran into an issue with my timer last night, not sure what happened, but it never kicked back on. So they ended up with nine hour of sleep instead of six. Regardless. Here they are!

420-magazine-mobile585303811.jpg

420-magazine-mobile758113563.jpg

As you can see they are in their new home. Made a rookie move and stuck my t8's in there. Way to warm for my comfort. Shot up to 88 in a heartbeat. Took it out and were at a comfortable 75 now.

Have some more supplies coming, the two smaller plants will be in 4 gallon buckets soon.

Hey jus to let u know m probably they most scared person of electricity!! I was zapped hard at a young age!! I do understand where u come from. Jus wanted to shoot u my two or one centof knowledge. I run LED for the most part but di enjoy the benifets if my overdrived t8. Its not hard and its been done for a long time. More by people with aquarium then grows but either way if done correctly it is stable and does not pose any danger as far as fire or harm. But hey do what u feel comfortable with. Come check mu journal out if u have time. Tonight ir couple minutes ago I jus did my first fim or topping dont know how its gonna turn out yet. But we are all here fir the same goal. Explore and grow this lovely plant. If I can help in any way jus hit me up. By the way your doing a great job and I will sit in till the end. Good luck!!

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom