New Grower here - Need some advice

PhantomGrower

My plant is 8 days old today. And to me I believe its quite the tall plant. i already put more soil in cause i thought it was too tall. anyways. Im using a 40W CLF light from my stove. I have a cabinit im gonna deck out soon with tinfoil and stuff. but I need a lighting system and im not sure what to use. I was thinking about using a lamp that emits like 80W or something. hang it upside down and thats how i'll grow.
Im new so im no gonna have those crazy ass growing lights n stuff. as much as i'd like to set up a grow room / green house.
ANyways im just really looking for some advice. like what kind of lamp should i get n stuff.
also i am only growing one plant., but another one popped up in the soil. so im not doing a big ol yield here. just a few plants I wanna try out.
What kind of lighting should I get for CLF lights? like what kind of lamp would be best.

Re: New Grower here. Need some advice

Well do you have a picture you could put up , sometimes you can get to much stretch from having not enough light .
When I start a seed that has just popped through the soil I will aim my turbo fan at it ,a friend told me it will stunt the stretch an force them to put down roots kind of making them think they will blow out if they dont put some good roots out an seems to stop stretching
Still I honestly dont know to much an I do know a few guys who do try searching out fish cake or invi or King John
hope it all works well for you happy growing:thumb::love:
Jai Jaganatha

I dont yet. I'll try to get a picture up later though. I worked on my grow cabinit. I bought a overlight lamp that has a really good reflector on it. and I bought some bulbs that are a few watts stronger. there like 26W and give off like 100 or something like that. The lamps giving it much better lighting than the stove lol. and i had a fan going on it for a few days. like the fan from the stove. but i dont have a fan yet. I'll have to get one. also i think I should add more soil to the plant. but the new one popping up I cant give that more soil or i'll bury it. and there in the same pot.

Also i looked at the bottom of the pot and seen the root thing..like were the access water comes out.

Yours is 8 days old, right. It should be around 3" tall. If it is, something like 6" tall it's definitely stretched.

The goal at this stage is to keep your plant as short as possible. What happens is the stalk will grow too tall to support the foliage causing the plant to fall over and die.

Keeping a CFL 1 1/2" directly over the seedling will help to prevent this. Another thing is to use "cool" colored CFL's.

By "cool" colored I meant around the 2,000K spectrum. They look like white light, not really a true color like periwinkle. The spectrum is always on the back of the box. Switch to a "warmer" spectrum if you plan on using CFL's to flower.

It's the same priciple as using a metal halide for veg and a high pressure sodium for flowering. Different spectrum affect the plant.

Hey phantom check out some of the grows on here. I jumped into it and made a lot of mistakes....and wasted a lot of time. There is so much info and chances are what you want to do, someone has done. As far as your questions, Josh pretty much nailed it. There is a lot to read and learn about spectrums. :peacetwo:

Yep I would think that the right answere from my ltd experience that is lights (you could try putting a small support stick by her to lye beside):love:
Hey phantom check out some of the grows on here. I jumped into it and made a lot of mistakes....and wasted a lot of time. There is so much info and chances are what you want to do, someone has done. As far as your questions, Josh pretty much nailed it. There is a lot to read and learn about spectrums. :peacetwo:

Phantom Grower, Here Is My Remedy For You, On Starting Seedlings. First, Get Yourself Regular Old Shoplight Fluoros, The 4ft Ones That They Like To Hang From The Ceiling, That You Can Purchase At Just About Any Hardware Store(EVEN WALLY-WORLD!!!), Make Sure You Get About 4-6 Light Fixtures, They Should Have The Bulbs Already In Them, If Not, Purchase The Bulbs As Well. Make Sure You Get Just Regular 40watt Shoplight Fluoros, The Ones That Are In The Blue Spectrum,No Plant Lights Fluoros, Or Regular Room Colored Light Fluoros, Just The Regular Old Shoplight Fluoros. The Ones That Hang In Shops Or Schools, That Emit That Awful Blue Spectrum, That Sucks For Us In Seeing, But The Plants Dearly Love It. Also For Some Reason, Because The Lights Emit A Blue Spectrum, , The Blue Spectrum, For Some Reason(I DO NOT KNOW THE REASON, I WAS JUST TAUGHT IT, AND PROVEN, THAT THE SPECTRUM MAKES MORE OF THE PLANTS TURN FEMALE???) Your Guess Is As Good As Mine Here As To Why, But It Is True, As After The Last 20 Years Of Learning, Through My Own Empirical Evidence, Usually At Least 65%, More Like 80% Or More, Always Are Female:high-five:!!!! Which Is Great Right?!? Anyways, Hang Your Lights From The Ceiling Using Screw In Hooks, If Your Ceiling Is Not Wood, This May Be A Problem, But A Stud Finder Should Allow You To Find Where The 2 By 4's Run Across The Roof Vertically. Get Your Lights Set Up, I Always Buy 12 10ft Shoplight Chains, Attach Them To The Hooks In The Ceiling, And Let Them Hang Down To The Floor, I Then Affix The Lights To The Chains. I Make Sure That There Is Enough Room For Me To Comfortably Place My Trays That I Keep My 4 Inch Containers In Underneath Them. Each Tray That I Use For My 4 Inch Tray Containers, Holds 16 4 Inch Containers, You Should Be Able To Fit At Least 6 Trays Under The Lights, For A Total Of 96 Seedlings In 4 Inch Containers. But By No Means Must You Use All The Space If You Cannot. Besides, The Less Trays You Have Under The Lights, Allows For More Light To Spread To All The Other Plants, But They Will Dry Out Faster.

Make Sure That All Of Your Lights Are Arranged Side By Side(ALONG THEIR EDGES), If Because Of The Spacing Of Your Ceiling Screws The Light Fixture Edges Do Not Allow For The Lights To Touch Length Wise Edge To Lengthwise Edge, You Can Use String To Draw The Edges Closer Together, So The Will Touch(I WILL TRY TO PUT IN PICTURES, SO CAN SEE WHAT I MEAN). As Was Previously Stated, Keep The Lights No More Than An Inch Or Two From The Tops Of Your Plants. Your Room Preferably Should Be About 65-No More Than(IF POSSIBLE) 72 Degrees Fahrenheit. Although The Temps Can Be A Little Higher(ALTHOUGH IT WILL STUNT GROWTH) And They Will Dry Out Much Faster. I Would Not Even Try, If The Temps Are Above 80 Degrees Fahrenheit, Although It Can Be Done, Just Not Well.

You Will Also Be Happy To Know, That You Can Get Pretty Good Buds From Regular Fluoros, They Will Not Be Big And Burly, But If You Let Them Reach Maturity, They Will Get You Stoned, They May Be A Little Wispy, But If Allowed To Get Ripe, They Will Get You Baked!!! Let Your Plants Stay Under 24 Hours Of Light, For About A Month, By Then You Should Have Already Transplanted To Into At Least 1-3 Gallon Containers, Then After A Month, After Being Transplanted(WHICH SHOULD BE AROUND THE 2 Week Point That You Transplant), Let Them Grow In Vegetative State For Another 2 Weeks, Then Switch Them To A 12-12 Light Cycle, So They Will Sex(GET RID OF THE MALES) And Let The Females Flower Away, Until They Are Ready For Harvest(THEN HARVEST AND ENJOY!!!) I Hope This Helps PG, I Will Try And Post Some Pictures Now, So You Can See How My Seedlings Look Before I Moved Them Outside(I Am An Outside Grower Except When I Start Them Indoors For Two Weeks, I Do This So That They Will Have A Good Headstart When I Put Them Out, Short And Fat, After Growing Thick And, Stubby From Being Under The Fluoros, They Just Pop Right Off When I Put Them Outside, Because I Kept Them Nice And Short, So That The Wind And Weather Will Not Harm Them(UNLESS IT FREEZES OF COURSE) But Even That Can Be Not Such A Bad Thing Since Cannabis Is So Hardy After All!!! Heres Some Pictures PG(IHOPE ANYWAYS, IF NOT SORRY).
5031.JPG
5051.JPG
51112.JPG
5022.JPG
5002.JPG
4981.JPG
5018.JPG
62710.JPG
5021.JPG
51211.JPG
NIGHT_TIME_IN_GARDEN_2012_SEPT_27-28_007.JPG
Last_Day_Of_Sptember_The_30th_Final_Pics_of_the_Month_013.JPG
Last_Day_Of_Sptember_The_30th_Final_Pics_of_the_Month_008.JPG
Last_Day_Of_Sptember_The_30th_Final_Pics_of_the_Month_039.JPG
Last_Day_Of_Sptember_The_30th_Final_Pics_of_the_Month_038.JPG
CLOSE_UPS_AND_SUCH_OCTOBER_3RD_033.JPG
Sorry PhantomGrower, Got A Little OVER ZEALOUS On The Photos:loopy:!!! I Truly Did Not Mean To, I Just Kept Looking At Them And Reminiscing Is All, SORRY:adore:. Hope My Rant Halped, Take Care. SINCERELY, JAMESTHEGREEN:thumb:.

Holy shite, thanks for the advice. and i had a fluro one just like you described in the past. it worked awesome, I wanna get one in the future. when I get a little more experiance and knowing what im doing. and even in the cabinit i use it owuld be good for the fluros cause they would fit perfectly. and I can just like screw them in easy. anyways. check out the pics.
I noticed the leaf is sorta getting a yellow vein in the leaf.
IMG_20130626_154755.jpg
IMG_20130626_154050.jpg
IMG_20130626_145117.jpg
IMG_20130626_145109.jpg
IMG_20130626_145103.jpg
IMG_20130626_145059.jpg
IMG_20130626_145049.jpg
IMG_20130626_144103.jpg

And I love the looks of your plants. I wanna eventually turn a whole room into a grow room. do huuuge grows. but I dont wanna jump to ahead of myself. i'd rather take care of one dying plant than 300 :p haha.
I appreciate all the advice you all been giving me. Im learning lots more everytime I come on this forum.
and sorry the pictures are blury. I could only use my phone camara and send them through email :p

They look alright. One is stretched, the other just about right. They don't look truly burnt. Just don't feed them until they have their 3rd or 4th set of leaves.

A small 12 oz plastic solo cup is plenty big to hold them for a month. The longer you wait, the more potential harm you'll cause to the root systems.

James. I cant reply to your pm cause my post count is only 10 right now but you honestly didnt offend me at all. and I appreciate all the advice you and josh223 have been givin me.

And with the 12 oz plastic cup. would I need to poke holes in the bottom. for drainage . access water or whatever. ?

The problem with a milk jug is it would allow light to penetrate. Causes algae to grow in the medium. Spray paint it black and you'd be good. I do the same with 1 gallon painters buckets.

You're going to need a drainage hole. Can't have your your roots drowning.

I grow using the Hempy method. I don't want to give you too much information too fast. But check this out. 4' tall plants grown from clone straight to 12/12 in a 2 Liter soda bottle.
Picture_3451.jpg
Picture_3302.jpg
Picture_3113.jpg

Back
Top Bottom