New grower: need help

IKilledIt

Hello everyone. A few weeks ago I re transplanted my plant to 5 gallon pots. The medium I used was MG. After a few days I had a laundry list of issues. I got some sound advice on what to do but something felt off.
So Saturday I got up and pulled the worst ones up. When I did I noticed that the bottom half was soaked to the bone. Nutes were soaked and frying my plants plus the drains were stopped up. Ph was above 7.50 ppm were 2000+

I ended up re re transplanting them in HF&OF 60/40 maybe 50/50. Then added some perlite to the mix. Plus a few Tbs of dolomite because the HF was ph’d at around 5.30. I also washed the root balls best I could in fresh water. After transplant I only watered about 24 oz or more for each plant.

So Monday I noticed they were looking kinda neon if you will a lime green. They were drooping so I watered about the same amount. Through advice I didn’t water to much because I wanted the roots to seek out water. Also I haven’t feed them due to advice that there may have been nutes in the rootball. And I didn’t want them to continue burning. So the only food they have received is what may have remained in the roots and the soil it’s self. I also received advice to foliar feed to prevent overwatering.

My question is can someone help me pin point the deficiencies or the lockout ? Would it be a good idea to go ahead and feed them? Should I wait until Friday when I water and feed then?

Soil is HF&OF
No nutes
No PPM at the moment
Tap water not ph’d
2 2000 watt Marshydro
Ph 6.20

Thanx for any advice.

4447A11E-B48A-415A-80A4-5AA4FE3836EE.jpeg

13F5DE47-9B24-49E1-A4E5-96A0EE55B4E2.jpeg

8BEFCA9E-94F2-4F7F-9282-F3BD17D8C6DD.jpeg

I'm a new grower myself, but I think they look just fine. I have three different strains growing right now all being fed the same amount of nutrients and one is definitely the color of yours. You can check out my journal. It's actually the best looking one. Nitrogen is what turns to a darker green but I'll let someone with more experience chime in. I say leave it until next feed day.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that Happy Frog is 5.3 pH, but I am pretty sure that is wrong, and that you adding dolomite is now contributing to your plants being unable to feed properly. The soils you have chosen are good ones, so there is food in there, but the plant just can't reach it because you've set the pH too high.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that Happy Frog is 5.3 pH, but I am pretty sure that is wrong, and that you adding dolomite is now contributing to your plants being unable to feed properly. The soils you have chosen are good ones, so there is food in there, but the plant just can't reach it because you've set the pH too high.
I came up with that number by doing a slurry test. 1/2 cup HF and a 1/2 cup tap water. The ph of the HF was 5.30 out of the bag. I let it set for almost an hour. The OF came it at a ph of 6.20. But as I mentioned in my first post the ph is around 6.20. I put a 60/40 mix at the bottom of the pot and straight OF on top. I only added 1/4 of the recommended amount of dolomite. Thanx for the advice.

As stated above, PH needs to be at certain levels for certain nutrients to be taken in by the plant. Having it too low or too high can cause major lockouts. Work on the PH issues first as this can be a damaging culprit in the grow.

Right now my ph is 6.20 on the top. It’s a difficult task to try and raise the ph throughout the entire medium. Next water I will dig down and get a midway ph. Thanx for the advice.

Most likely your pH is off so even though the nutrients are probably there the plant can't uptake it.

When you transplanted and the MG was soaking wet thats shit soil as far as cannabis goes.
Pretty much any bagged soil unless its made for cannabis and made as a Living Organic Soil then it likely will be too heavy and need more aeration.

IMO, if you are going to use bottled salt based nutrients then you're way better off just using coco, maybe mix about 5% Pre-Charged biochar with it
In 5 gal fabric pots and water it everyday.
Soil should be left for a no-till type grow in large pots.

Your problems could be from the constant PH increases/decreases. Get it up to the 6.5 range with waters and feeds, give them a few days and then go from there.
I see what your saying. Being they came from a high ph’d soil to a more acidic soil they may need to immaculate to the change. Would you suggest I still ph my water to accommodate the difference? So maybe ph a bit higher to get to 6.50? Thanx for the advice

Most likely your pH is off so even though the nutrients are probably there the plant can't uptake it.

When you transplanted and the MG was soaking wet thats shit soil as far as cannabis goes.
Pretty much any bagged soil unless its made for cannabis and made as a Living Organic Soil then it likely will be too heavy and need more aeration.

IMO, if you are going to use bottled salt based nutrients then you're way better off just using coco, maybe mix about 5% Pre-Charged biochar with it
In 5 gal fabric pots and water it everyday.
Soil should be left for a no-till type grow in large pots.

Definitely going to work on the ph factor. I did buy some liquid fertilizers. I have some tiger bloom 2-8-4, grow big 6-4-4. I picked up some sensi cal mag extra. I also ordered some Advanced nutes. May have to look into the precharged Biochar. I may go and do a dig and see what the ph is mid way in the pots tonight.

On a side note. I did notice that this soil drys fairly quick. I want to make sure I’m understanding you correctly. I need to balance my ph. So tomorrow can I water and feed or should I wait. Have to order the biochar. Thanx for the advice.

The biochar was to add to coco coir if you use bottled nutrients.

I would pick one or the other.

Bottled nutrients use coco.

Want to use soil then just use soil amendments in large 15+ gallon pots.

So basically all these liquid nutes I have are pointless being I don’t use coco. So now I have to get soil amendments as in time release?

I'm a new grower myself, but I think they look just fine. I have three different strains growing right now all being fed the same amount of nutrients and one is definitely the color of yours. You can check out my journal. It's actually the best looking one. Nitrogen is what turns to a darker green but I'll let someone with more experience chime in. I say leave it until next feed day.
All of these are Critical Kush. And a few of them have taken this appearance. I know new growth can have this color as it’s normal. And even after the transplant they are still growing. I was hoping they were ok ya know. Not to pale but not dark green. It was the color of the leaf and the veins that got me worried. When I think I have it figured out. I find I have nothing figured out lol. I will look at you grow diary. And that’s for the compliment and advice.

So basically all these liquid nutes I have are pointless being I don’t use coco. So now I have to get soil amendments as in time release?
No you can use the Tiger Bloom, Grow Big and calmag nutes, no problem, they will work just fine in soil too. I don't have any knowledge on the other brands(s). A tip, use at 50% strength and see how the plants do, increase if necessary. With fertilizer, people tend to think more is better, most of the time it's not, and overuse of chem ferts will hasten salt build-up and lockout. Keep an eye out for nutrient lockout, but if you use the nutes at 50%, and water to 20% runoff, that is doubtful.

No you can use the Tiger Bloom, Grow Big and calmag nutes, no problem, they will work just fine in soil too. I don't have any knowledge on the other brands(s). A tip, use at 50% strength and see how the plants do, increase if necessary. With fertilizer, people tend to think more is better, most of the time it's not, and overuse of chem ferts will hasten salt build-up and lockout. Keep an eye out for nutrient lockout, but if you use the nutes at 50%, and water to 20% runoff, that is doubtful.
Great. I’ll do the grow big at 1/2 strength. The others I order were grow micro and bloom. Thanx for the advice.

No, not pointless, just more difficult to use.
Would be easier to use coco with bottled nutrients.
Just finish this grow best you can, probably come out just fine.
But next grow just decide how you want to grow.
And make it easier on yourself.

No, not pointless, just more difficult to use.
Would be easier to use coco with bottled nutrients.
Just finish this grow best you can, probably come out just fine.
But next grow just decide how you want to grow.
And make it easier on yourself.
I total agree with ya. I feel like a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. So much can go wrong if your not educated enough on the matter. Im learning that if your ph is off everything is off no matter what you do. And that’s been my biggest struggle. Thanx for the help.

Back
Top Bottom