New Grower Using 12 Pot Ebb and Grow System

wow!! i have been busy cleaning off my sticky fingers for a few days and it looks like a whole different operation you got there!! VERY NICE!!:cheer:

now the fun begins!! the stresses of young seedlings are over, they are home and lookin' real happy considering the rocky start. i don't want to use the word "autopilot", but you will find that you are spending more time enjoying and less time stressing now. :slide:

SUPER SUPPORT McBudz!!

I can't wait for autopilot mode!! And ur totally right about McBudz! Without his constant advice, my babies would be suffering if not dead already!!

UPDATE

so today I got my Milwaukee ph pen and got my ppm pen calibrated. Since my RO filter hasn't arrived yet, I'm using tap water. I tested the ppm and it said 420! Does that sound right? Is that normal for tap water? So I added 5 oz. of FloraNova Grow to bring my ppm to 520. I balanced the ph down to 5.7. I decided to switch to 18/6 on my light schedule because I think I might be burning the plants. Temp. w/lights on is 73. W/lights off is 66. RH is 42.5. Sound ok? Will be posting pics tomorrow.

UPDATE

so today I got my Milwaukee ph pen and got my ppm pen calibrated. Since my RO filter hasn't arrived yet, I'm using tap water. I tested the ppm and it said 420! Does that sound right? Is that normal for tap water? So I added 5 oz. of FloraNova Grow to bring my ppm to 520. I balanced the ph down to 5.7. I decided to switch to 18/6 on my light schedule because I think I might be burning the plants. Temp. w/lights on is 73. W/lights off is 66. RH is 42.5. Sound ok? Will be posting pics tomorrow.

my tapwater is at 380... so yeah, you are right there... nasty city water :surf:

everything sounds good though as far as the numbers look... what do you mean by burning them though?? length of light time wont harm them, but distance from light will.

UPDATE

also, im not sure if you do or not, but when i have to use tapwater i always let it sit out overnight in an open container and stir it around a few times to help evaporate chlorine... sorry if you already knew this.....

UPDATE

Hmm... yeah my tap sucks too. I forget the actual ppm but the water analysis I downloaded from my county/town concurs with my TDS pen and hardwater deposits.

Given that your starting point is 420 you should probably be higher than 520. Dont want to nuke the seedlings so I would say go up 100 ppm each day until you hit 800 or so while they are this small. If you did not fill the res all the way you can always dilute to bring ppm back down a bit. So we need to find the sweet spot by making minor adjustments and reading what the plants tell you. 24 hours is good enough time for ample feedback between adjustments.

RO water will be much better since you are starting near 0-100 ppm and you'll have a good idea of what's going into the mix. When you go RO cal-mag will be needed.

Everything else seems right on.

Hmm... yeah my tap sucks too. I forget the actual ppm but the water analysis I downloaded from my county/town concurs with my TDS pen and hardwater deposits.

Given that your starting point is 420 you should probably be higher than 520. Dont want to nuke the seedlings so I would say go up 100 ppm each day until you hit 800 or so while they are this small. If you did not fill the res all the way you can always dilute to bring ppm back down a bit. So we need to find the sweet spot by making minor adjustments and reading what the plants tell you. 24 hours is good enough time for ample feedback between adjustments.

RO water will be much better since you are starting near 0-100 ppm and you'll have a good idea of what's going into the mix. When you go RO cal-mag will be needed.

Ok. I'll be giving them 100 ppm today when I check them out later. My RO filter should be here any day. Gauranteed by my next res change! I also see on the GH chart that I should be giving them FloraBlend. That is coming with the RO filter!

my tapwater is at 380... so yeah, you are right there... nasty city water :surf:

everything sounds good though as far as the numbers look... what do you mean by burning them though?? length of light time wont harm them, but distance from light will.

My distance from my 400 watt MH to the top of bucket is 22 inches right now.

McB, I also did fill up the res all the way to 55 gallons but I used the GH chart based off of 50 gallons.

OK no biggie. When they are that small you really dont need 4-5 gallons per plant. Just so you dont have to waste water/nutes. half of that is fine.

I'm thinking I might have to dilute some of the water. What do you think? ANd should I just replace some of the water in the reservoir with regular water to dilute?

Here are some pics of my plants as of yesterday. Let me know what you guys think.

013171.JPG

012172.JPG

011199.JPG

My lone Power Kush plant.

010227.JPG

009232.JPG

008264.JPG

007273.JPG

This is the one I'm worried about!!!

006279.JPG

005319.JPG

004335.JPG

003348.JPG

I've also noticed a few brown spots on the leaves of a few plants. What is that usually signs of?

Mostly good. The spots you see are from where the original leaves were starving and gave up their mobile nutes to feed new growth. They will eventually die off but no worries. All of your new growth looks pretty good after transplanting and feeding. Except for that one. It may pull through though.

As they grow in size carefully up the nutes.

Mostly good. The spots you see are from where the original leaves were starving and gave up their mobile nutes to feed new growth. They will eventually die off but no worries. All of your new growth looks pretty good after transplanting and feeding. Except for that one. It may pull through though.

As they grow in size carefully up the nutes.

Where do you think my PPMs should be? It was at 1030 yesterday without me adding anything!!

I apologize in advance if my math is wrong... However you added 5 fl oz that = 148 ml. The chart for your nutes says 1.5 ml per gallon that would be 82.5 ml or 2.7 fl oz for a 55 gallon rez. Hope that helps, hope my math is right! :peace:

I apologize in advance if my math is wrong... However you added 5 fl oz that = 148 ml. The chart for your nutes says 1.5 ml per gallon that would be 82.5 ml or 2.7 fl oz for a 55 gallon rez. Hope that helps, hope my math is right! :peace:

The general hydro online calculator actually calls for 4.6 ounces for Flora Nova grow with 55 gallon reservoir during seedling stage for an estimated ppm of 540 (assuming you start with 0 ppm) SO with his hard water he is about where he should be. When they get to a few nodes or 4-5 inches in length then we will go to mild growth stage which is about 8.4 ounces flora nova grow per barrel then onto full growth at 16.9 ounces per barrel. (Id ease up to that last one considering you have high starting ppm)

The general hydro online calculator actually calls for 4.6 ounces for Flora Nova grow with 55 gallon reservoir during seedling stage for an estimated ppm of 540 (assuming you start with 0 ppm) SO with his hard water he is about where he should be. When they get to a few nodes or 4-5 inches in length then we will go to mild growth stage which is about 8.4 ounces flora nova grow per barrel then onto full growth at 16.9 ounces per barrel. (Id ease up to that last one considering you have high starting ppm)

Ya I didn't know the feeding program he was on so I just guessed... GLAD I was wrong! I burned the hell out of my plants feeding the wrong stage to soon... I will be switching to ebb and grow after the grow I am doing now... It just seems like better results and fewer problems with the system when people get it down... :peace:

:nicethread: Sorry about the wrong math like I said! :reading420magazine:

Back
Top Bottom