New tent setup: CMH or LED lighting & heat

Ramman

420 Member
Hey everyone. I just bought a 4x8x6.5 tent and took down the old 4x3.
I'm trying to decide how to put adequate lighting into it without dealing with crazy heat issues.
Right now I've got some Aglex COB lights in there (1-2000 and 2-1200 for a true wattage of 840w from the wall.). I doubt that will be enough wattage when the tent is full so I'm deciding what to do.
My heat this morning is up at 81 with my exhaust running full speed and intake fan going into tent.
I was going to put another Aglex 2000 in for a total true watts of 1260 (when the tent is full).
But seeing as how the temp is almost as high as I want to go right now....that might not work as I don't want to run an AC.
So, I'm considering my options with buying new lighting.
Two choices I'm considering:
1. Go with CMH. Probably 3-315s. Was thinking 2 - 630 but again worried about heat build up.
2. Quantum style lights. Was looking at 2 - 480w lights. Not too sure about heat on these...or whether there's enough coverage to fill the tent with them.
It's too bad because I've had good luck with the Aglex lights in my 5x5 and my old 4x3 but I did have to fight heat a bit in the summer. Today it's about -10C outside...about 65F in my outer room and I'm already having higher temps.
Any help/insite or other options would be great.
Thanks

I can’t speak for other lighting. I have heard great things about CMH.

I use sponsor @Budget LED boards and love them. You can get the power supply outside the tent and the temperatures are close to ambient.

I’ve loved the upgrade and couldn’t recommend them more

good luck in your decision my friend

silver

I use sponsor @Budget LED boards and love them. You can get the power supply outside the tent and the temperatures are close to ambient.

silver
Thanks for the info. That's the other thing that is kind of the balancing act. In the winter, I like to get SOME heat from the lights during lights on period. That way I only worry about running my heater at night.
I imagine the balancing act is something most of us have to deal with whether we're in the great white north or in the sunny south.
I've actually shut the furnace vent off in my room to keep it 60-65 in the room to try control inside tent temps a bit. If I let it warm up to 73-75 in the outer room in the winter...my tent temps will easily hit 85. Even had it hit 92 once

I'm using the Budget LED series 3+ 500w and they customized the wiring for me with my order for free so I could mount the driver outside of the tent, even with the driver in the tent there's not much heat at all, maybe 8° above ambient at most.

Two of our 480/500w kits will cover a 4 x 8. They are designed for that space.

As others mentioned above, with the driver inside the tent, you will get some added heat. If you have any specific questions for us, please let me know.

On my home built lights, I can put my hand on the cookie sheet all day and it's not hot, It is toasty warm though. During lights on temps will come up to 80 at which point my fans kick in. Never took the temperature on it. Reading what Budget led said about the driver is something I could or should have done. Depending on how you look at it. I have my exhaust fans set up with a temperature switch. I am kind of relying on warmer temps to engage the exhaust fan. I keep my window open as I like a cold room to sleep. Yeah it gets a bit noisy but at night it's a small space heater in my tent which is quiet. Also have an exhaust fan on a timer. Comes on for 45 seconds every 15 minutes to bring in new air. About the noisiest part is my air stone pump. 1/2 a cookie will give me a nice sleep.

silver
I second this BudgetLED are like the Ferrari of lights...

I'm using HPS and Timber COB LED lights. I never got to the CMH lights. I like what I read about them though. I would have one if I didn'thave everything pretty much covered. It is a lot cheaper option than the COB led's. I think it would be a solid choice.

Back
Top Bottom