New to lights

ultra22

420 Member
Hi all
I am new to lights but I am also interested in using them. What I would like to know is in your opinion's what is the cheapest to run lights with the best results. The thing is I am a pensioner and money is at a premium. I would like to run a tent with around 4 plants any idea's?.

I run four plants in a 2 x 4 tent. Lights are a pay now, or pay the power company later deal. I'm using a King X6 Dimmable 1800W COB LED Grow Light, but have a DIY light under construction. You can see the results of my first grow using the King in my completed journal. Later grows were close to 1/2 lb from the 2 x 4 tent.

When looking at LED lighting, look at the power it draws from the wall, not the manufacturer's equivalency claims. You want about 30w / sq ft, of quality LEDs or COBs.

Thanks for that mate I will look into it. The thing is I don't even know what a COB stands for.
Sorry if I sound thick but trust me I need updating.

I don't even know what a COB stands for.

COB stands for 'Circuit On Board.' It's a number of individual LEDs mounted on a small circuit board by the manufacturer. The LEDs usually are of different wavelengths, and the whole assembly works together to provide the spectrum the manufacturer has determined will suit a purpose. There are two types we use, the 'blurple' without much of the green or yellow wavelengths, and white lights which are closer to the sun's spectrum.

Lighting is the single most expensive component of an indoor grow. We all agonized over our choices, and few of us would push you one way or another. If I had to do it again, I would go with one of King's X4s for every 4 sq ft of canopy, or build my own right off the bat.

It look's to me as though I have a lot of learning to do, thanks for your help I will look up King's x4s they sound good.
Out of curiosity what do you think is the best ready made tent kit you can buy?.
I have been looking at them but as I have no experience I am blinded by science.

Gorilla Grow Tents, one of our sponsors, is probably the best. I started with a 2' x 4' x 5' generic tent. It's still in good condition after three years of service. I replaced it this year with a 2' x 4' x 7'-8' Gorilla clone. The reason for replacement was the height.

Tents 5' tall and under are good for seedlings, clones, mothers, vegetation, and ScrOG. You will lose at least three feet to your grow light, the area above it for ventilation, the area between it and the canopy, as well as your containers. If you add in a filter this will increase by at least 9". This leaves a maximum of 24" to as little as 15" for your plants to grow in a 5' tall tent.

Gorilla is literally top of the line. I bought a yield lab 4x4 and it's what 72 inches tall. Paid 82.00 and got free black friday shipping. Do I see light coming through the tent. There are a few pinholes but nothing a small piece of duct tape won't fix. When I stood in the tent and had my wife zip it up. I could see ZERO light inside and that's without duct tape. I also see a bit of light throuh the zipper but nothing from inside and that's what matters. Some tents have crappy zippers but a little spray of silicone helps. My zipper is great without silicone. Would I buy another. Yes but I am cheap. I actually bought a couple viparspectra par 600, 600 watt and used one for seedling while I built my own LED. It is comparable to HLG's 550 v2 and I did it for about 420.00 It uses 590 watts from the wall. And it's working great right now. If you have some tools, You could make your own tent with plywood and 2x4's. Home depot will cut the plywood to size. Then get yourself some white paint or reflective material.

Thank you all for your replies I certainly have a lot to look into.
I will look at the gorilla tents, do they have anything to do with gorilla seeds?
Thanks again you are all very helpful.

Hi ultra22, welcome to 420 family, may I know your growing space? Usually when we recommend the lights, we don't consider the plants quantity, since the plants can be big and small, so it might depend on the grow size more likely. And for led grow lights, usually you will need 35~50w/sft real wattage from the wall to cover your grow. Hope this is helpful. :high-five:

Hi SmokeSara
I usual grow outdoor's but I am trying to find out the best light's and tent ect for indoor's.
The space I have for a tent is 2m length 1200 cm depth and 2m height these are maximum measurements.
I was looking at getting a kit but as with everything in this world it may not be the best way.
This is why I am asking for recommendations for lights tents and extract's.
Sorry if I am asking questions at get asked hundred's of times but I have to start somewhere.
Thanks for your help.

I'm doing exactly what you want to do. I grow 4 plants in a 3' by 3'. I use a 4 cob system. Can't tell you exactly what brand. The cobs are operated at half wattage for maximum efficiency. 110 watts each. When the plants are young I dim them down to a total of 100 watts or so. If you're fighting the heat this is the way to go.

My tent was only 100 dollars. You don't need to get a super expensive tent. You want as tall of a tent as you can get. I grow small plants. If you want to grow bigger plants you need a bigger tent. I get at least 12-14 ounces every three months growing autoflowers.

Thanks Grassmaster that answers a lot of questions, the main thing is power usage as I am on a pension I need to keep the running cost down. I was thinking of going the autoflower way to start with as I have used them before in the greenhouse with good results.

Hi SmokeSara
I usual grow outdoor's but I am trying to find out the best light's and tent ect for indoor's.
The space I have for a tent is 2m length 1200 cm depth and 2m height these are maximum measurements.
I was looking at getting a kit but as with everything in this world it may not be the best way.
This is why I am asking for recommendations for lights tents and extract's.
Sorry if I am asking questions at get asked hundred's of times but I have to start somewhere.
Thanks for your help.
Hi Ultra, do you mean 2mx1.2m(or 12m)x2m ? You will need around 1000~1200w total wattage for your space; Usually you can try to get several big lights, each can cover 3x3 or 4x4 area, or some smaller lights to get your space covered better. Try to check out our SP-250, four of them will give you great growing result.
Sorry we don't have that size tent, and we don't have other facilities like inline fan, or carbon filter, etc. We are trying to find good supplier, so we might supply them in future. :lot-o-toke:

Back
Top Bottom