Newb: Male or Female? Pics Here. Day 14 Flower - Thanks!

Hey Guys.

Love the 420 Forums. Everyone is so helpful. Anyway, 1st grow here, just wondering if you could help me determine sex on these 6 plants, please?

Hydro grown, 5 weeks of veg, and 2 weeks (today) of flowering. Planted from bag seed, unfortunately.

Thanks in advance!

S.F.

MJ_221_1.jpg

MJ_219_2.jpg

MJ_218_3.jpg

MJ_216_4.jpg

MJ_215_5.jpg

MJ_213_6.jpg

Also from what i can tell 1, 4 and 5 are male, 6 is herm and 2 i can't tell because of the lighting.

Thanks for the input Janja.

I guess I'm going to have to wait a little longer to see how things play out. I'm getting conflicting answers, and based on what one of the guys said above, the flowering will happen before male characteristics are showing for a hermie? I haven't seen anymore "balls" developing on the plants. Also, he included a link to a picture that was pure male, 420 Magazine's Plant of the Month Contest: January 2010 and none of my plants look like this at all. I would agree with you about the possibility of hermie's, and I'll be looking for any development of those male pollen sacs. All of the plants pretty much resemble this latest shot.

MJ_256_1.jpg

Thanks for the input!
S.F

o.k to be honest with you i would chop the parts growing. They are underdevoloped "balls". the pollen sacs have not formed completly. Now this is just a hypothesis. Its better to be safe then sorry right? Its obviously a female, but it just has that lil extra gene..And check closer on the entire plant to see if there are anymore, and if not then keep her. AGAIN CHECK HER CLOSELY FIRST...Then again they could pop out hairs or another branch. Wouldnt be the first time this has happened..

Hey Stink,
Your pics are very encouraging, I thought something was wrong with mine. Must just be a similar late pre-flowering strain.

Thanks Noatec. Perhaps we had the same "Pharmacist"? :cheesygrinsmiley:

I've been researching a bit, and I think I'm going to run to the Hydro store and get a couple of items from DutchMaster, product is called Reverse.

REVERSE Product | It's a Foliar application, and from what I've read, people have pretty good results. Has anyone used this before?

I'll let you know, and perhaps update with a couple more pics for reference.

Thanks again everyone!

Quick update.

Went to the Hydro store and picked up product mentioned in prev post, DutchMaster Reverse. Gave the first application, and says to wait a couple of weeks until subsequent apps.

As a couple of you have mentioned, I'm sure a few of these are Hermie's, although they are limited in the amount of male characteristics showing, they sure are packing on the bud sites. Do I let these ride it out and see if the DutchMaster Reverse is going to work? I know people have talked about Male plants pollinating female plants, but will hermie plants pollinate the current female plants?

Here's a pic of where things are at.

Week 9 - Day 30 of Flowering
MJ_290_2048x1535.jpg

Thanks Y'all!

Yes.. A Hermie plant with developed "balls" will pollinate anything female it gets ahold of.. Itself.. Neighboring plants... your dog. It's indiscriminate.

Is it easier to determine if a plant is a female or male? like in time wise

can someone post two pics one of a male and one of a female? thanks

Thanks SS!

I guess until you've completed a grow a couple of times, these newbie questions must consume a first time grower, like myself. I must of reviewed at least a half-dozen or so posts with guys stressing "urgency" of pulling the male plants. None of the posts mention a margin of days, possibly a week or more, from the "standard" twelve days into flowering until males show (answer). I would agree with you that patience definitely was worth the wait.

I guess, also, from all the information I read here on the journals, I would have expected at least 1 male (or more) out of 7 plants from the seeds I planted, which were just bag seed. I think it would be a "Festivus" miracle to really have all females here, don't you think?

As you suggested, I'll keep a close eye for any more characteristics that may display in the near future, perhaps a hermie?

Anyway, thanks again for the follow up, really do appreciate the help! Now if only I can figure out what to do with a particularly tall lady that's starting to reach the light, ;-)

S.F

Yep, once you've completed a grow or two, you'll have a lot more confidence in what you're seeing and what the time frames are.

When it's all new, it's all new ;).

The ratio of males to females is around 50/50, but the less seeds you plant, the greater the chances of all males or all females.

7 for 7 would be unusual, but I'm sure it's happened. Unfortunately, not to me ;).

hey just wanted to chime in here. firstly, depending on your personal seed stash, a few extra seeds wont be the end of the world as you'll learn more in future grows ;)

as far as the hermies go though, you could just remove the male parts as they develop, keep the fruit, and hope for the best. a lot of bag seeds tend to go hermie i've noticed, so just keep perfecting your method and good luck! :smokin:

Hey Guys.

Just a little update, if you've read through this post you'll know that I've encountered at least 1 hermie in my 1st grow. I decided to press-on with the grow because all of the plants are producing some great buds. I'm not seeing anymore male development, but I guess we really won't know until I crack some of these buds open and see if there are seeds? Shouldn't be too much longer. Today is day 40 of flowering.

As I mentioned before, I picked up a product called DutchMasters Reverse.

MJ_413_1.jpg

Did apply 1 foliar application so far, probably get one more in before harvest.

Here's the hermie we've been following.

MJ_376_1.jpg

Stay tuned for more info.....

Thanks,
SF

Thanks Phil!

The reverse and penetrator are supposed to "stop" male reproductive growth. They specifically say that it won't change a male to a female plant, but hopefully it will stop seeds and pollen sacs from developing.

I'll let you know, hopefully soon, if it actually works.

SF

nice to see the new products. I talk to Dm often about their products. And I must say they stand behind that one strongly. Just play'n catch up on all the journals. Best of luck Stink. Cant wait to see the outcome. And if I cant wait I couldn't imagine what oyur feeling..LOL

Hey Butch.

Thanks for checking in. I've been following your journals, and you have quite a handful yourself.

Well today is day 58 of flowering. I can take pics when the light goes on at 6 tonite. But here's a shot from a couple of days ago. Shouldn't be too long right?

MJ_520_1.jpg

And a close up
MJ_515_1.jpg

I know what you mean about the waiting game. I got a little anxious, and over zealous and decided to start a second grow (room). Here's a shot from yesterday.

MJ_531_1.jpg

One way or another, I'm getting fems! :)
One just might require me waiting a little longer for it to finish!

I am anxious to see if the Reverse worked. At this point, I think we're going to have to crack some buds (after drying) to see if they have seeds?

Hope your Sis is doing a little better! Thanks for checking in!

SF

Stink,Do you have a little scope to check your trichs with ? You should wait till they are cloudy with maybe 20 % amber ,these are easy to see with either a 60x scope or take a pic and enlarge it with your edit pic on your pc. Buds lookin great ! are you using any bud enhancers ? :peace:

Stink,Do you have a little scope to check your trichs with ? You should wait till they are cloudy with maybe 20 % amber ,these are easy to see with either a 60x scope or take a pic and enlarge it with your edit pic on your pc. Buds lookin great ! are you using any bud enhancers ? :peace:

Thanks OH!

I have a 30x jewelers lupe. I guess I'll try that again tonite. It just seems that some buds are more done than others. I was actually waiting a little to the leaves start to yellow?

And forgive my naivete, again 1st grow, but what would actually be a bud enhancer? I'm just following the General Hydroponics Flora nutrient schedule, using the aggressive method. I really don't know what the h*ll I'm doing.

:thanks:

SF

Heard about a method to sex early. A guy says he "flowers" the plants at something like 6 inches; and then once he has identified the females, he puts them into veg. Is this right? To do this, do you put seedlings right under HPS @ 12/12 and wait to see the gender; then switch the ladies to MH with 18/4 to veg?

Reason I ask is I have two very expensive plants that I was sure were females from seeing pistils or pre-flowers; so I cloned them. Now the two are 4 ft tall in 2nd week of flower, and they turn out to be boys; so all the clones are boys. I've never had plants show sex so late. There's gotta be a better way to not waste 2 month nurturing supposed females just to have them turn out male after all that work! Help? Thanks

2nd question: now that I have two beautiful males, but no females to create a few seeds, what is the best way to preserve the males until I get some girls. Can I put them back into veg, cut off all the flowers as they show up and that was force the boys to live longer and flower them later when I have some girls? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom