Newbie question on nutrients etc..

Joebob69

Hi I'm new to growing and dwc... I'm in the process of getting everything together and am in the process of doing my research.. Just so I can get things ordered, can someone give me a list of EVERYTHING I will need to add in my water?...nutrients, nutes, ph, cal mg, etc? And include brands please? Like I said I'm still learning but would like to make this as fool proof as possible and go ahead and get everything I need ordered.. Hearing the list of items YOU use and what there purpose is would be great! Thanks!

I use Dyna-Gro nutes, add calmag and silica. I stay pretty close to the Dyna-Gro feeding schedule.

One of the common themes that I see year after year.... new growers with great intentions, but little understanding. I did EXACTLY the same myself (well... with a aero system, not dwc). While this path may work out for some, the vast majority of growers are taught a lesson in failure. While DWC is one of the simpler techniques, an experienced grower might suggest something simpler. My personal favorite and a good starting point for a new grower interested in hydro is hempy buckets.

I don't want to blunt your good intentions, but a bad grow will blunt them much worse. I might suggest you start off without moving water. I know you spent all those dollars on fancy pumps and timers, but you might want to store them until you're more familiar with the plant and it's natural cycles and needs.

2 cents delivered.

^agreed. DWC is complicated. Only makes things easier AFTER you know what you're doing in soil or coco. I would definitely keep the supplies as they will cut down on your expenses once your ready for the DWC, but for now, I would stick to soil, pots, and drain pans (saucers).

^ agreed, yet again. DWC can be problematic for a new grower, and there are many things to learn before you'll be comfortable doing it. Like they mentioned, I'd stick with soil, or a passive hydro medium like coco or Hempy. It's cheaper too! This sticky also has a lot of nutrient regiments that can be used:

Nutes - What To Use & How To Use Them - Tutorial

Essentially you'll need a medium, nutrients (a 3-pack will be plenty for a first grow), pH adjusters (pH up/down), a pH meter/way to accurately check pH, and maybe cal/mag depending on your water source. If you are using distilled/DI/RO water, you'll probably need cal/mag, but if you use tap/spring, you may not, depending on the minerals included.

Thanks everyone! I'm still weighing my options.. My reason for dwc is I want the quick turn around times and fast growth..how long is typical from start to finish growing in soil in a closet?? Thanks for the responses!

Thanks everyone! I'm still weighing my options.. My reason for dwc is I want the quick turn around times and fast growth..how long is typical from start to finish growing in soil in a closet?? Thanks for the responses!

If you start from clones, probably 14 weeks is doable for a closet sized space where you only want to grow a foot or two tall plant.
From seed, maybe more like 18 weeks.

This is assuming everything goes to plan. Which it rarely does...

I've honestly never done hydro and probably never will, but if you want a quick crop, do an autoflower in soil. I've done 90 day auto grows in FFOF without adding a single drop of fertilizer and pulled over a 1/2 oz per plant in 3 gallon pots.

If you want quick and easy, grow autos in soil with good lighting and you can harvest 4 times a year

Marijuana is easy to grow, but difficult to master. Just make sure you continue to learn & research and your yield will improve with time.

As a first time grower, don't obsess over fertilizers or PH and grow in soil. Learn how the plant grows and expand from there.

I've honestly never done hydro and probably never will, but if you want a quick crop, do an autoflower in soil. I've done 90 day auto grows in FFOF without adding a single drop of fertilizer and pulled over a 1/2 oz per plant in 3 gallon pots.

If you want quick and easy, grow autos in soil with good lighting and you can harvest 4 times a year

Marijuana is easy to grow, but difficult to master. Just make sure you continue to learn & research and your yield will improve with time.

As a first time grower, don't obsess over fertilizers or PH and grow in soil. Learn how the plant grows and expand from there.
Soil is sounding better and better! Can you recommend a good auto flower? Or the best place to research? Thanks for all the info guys! It's very helpful!

90 days sounds great when you put it up against 14weeks, but just remember 90 days is basically 13 weeks. And also remember that auto flowers yield fairly small amounts of THC compared to a non-auto flowering plant.

Also a lot of people on here advise against Merical Grow soil, just thought I'd throw that in there. ( some others can chime in on as to why )

Good Luck.

Also a lot of people on here advise against Merical Grow soil, just thought I'd throw that in there. ( some others can chime in on as to why )

Good Luck.

Yes and here is why:

The time release nutrients in Miracle Grow soil contain high amounts of nitrogen and can release that nitrogen for up to 6months this can harm yields and make your smoke very harsh if you bloom the plant within six months of planting it in the MG soil.

Miracle grow plant food is not ideal because it uses one feeding schedule for the entirety of the plant's life, when cannabis needs at least 4 different ratios of nutrients though out different growth and flowering periods in it's life.

Yes and here is why:

The time release nutrients in Miracle Grow soil contain high amounts of nitrogen and can release that nitrogen for up to 6months this can harm yields and make your smoke very harsh if you bloom the plant within six months of planting it in the MG soil.

Miracle grow plant food is not ideal because it uses one feeding schedule for the entirety of the plant's life, when cannabis needs at least 4 different ratios of nutrients though out different growth and flowering periods in it's life.
Can you recommend a good soil mix that I can make from my local hd? Thanks!

Can you recommend a good soil mix that I can make from my local hd? Thanks!

hmm.. I don't think I can. I don't visit the depot very often so I'm not really sure exactly what they have.

If they are well stocked on organic gardening supplies, then look up a good "super soil" mix like "subcool's super soil mix" or find someone else's variation that you like. This will have you running around the gardening section looking for bags of bat guano, kelp, bone meal, ect. and then mixing them all into a "base" soil with the idea that you will just have to give the plant water for it's entire life.

If the hd isn't well stocked then you might be able to just get by with some standard organic potting or garden soil. You may want to find some nutrients on the web that you can add into the water during late veg and bloom that will help your harvest yield results.

hmm.. I don't think I can. I don't visit the depot very often so I'm not really sure exactly what they have.

If they are well stocked on organic gardening supplies, then look up a good "super soil" mix like "subcool's super soil mix" or find someone else's variation that you like. This will have you running around the gardening section looking for bags of bat guano, kelp, bone meal, ect. and then mixing them all into a "base" soil with the idea that you will just have to give the plant water for it's entire life.

If the hd isn't well stocked then you might be able to just get by with some standard organic potting or garden soil. You may want to find some nutrients on the web that you can add into the water during late veg and bloom that will help your harvest yield results.

Good info! Thanks!

It depends on if you want to go soil or hydro.

You may be able to find ProMix at your local HD (check stock online). I grew/grow in it, but as Tead mentioned Hempy is probably easier if you plan on getting nutes and a pH meter, and just requires perlite (also sold at some HDs, but don't get the Miracle Grow brand).

Another option: If you have plant/tree nurseries around you, they typically mix and sell their own potting mixes for reasonable prices. Hardware stores should have a decent selection too, just don't get anything with time release nutrients!

Back
Top Bottom