H0bbyGr0wer89

Hey peeps,

I'm a newbie and got into growing - it's a lot of work, but even more fun! I have begun my first plant and I am at about 6 weeks - I just switched over to 12/12 last night. I have been learning as I go and have had a few issues along the way (such as transplant shock). However, I think I am doing alright!

But... I want you all to be the judge of that. The strain is White Widow and got the seeds from HGS. I'm growing with the Mars Hydro 300W Reflector2 LED. I am using Advanced Nutrients (3 parts) feed and PHing my water. I plan on adding molasses to my water/feed as soon as I get it in the mail. I have also been "training" the lower branches out horizontally from the main stem. Lastly, I know this is controversial... but I have been pulling away small waterleafs as the pop up towards the bottom and in crowded areas.

How does she look!? Any and all feedback and/or knowledge-drops are encouraged and appreciated!

20160106_131403.jpg

View image in gallery

Can ya get us a close up of the top dozen or so nodes and their leafs? Are we seeing a touch of taco'ing, can't really tell. Regardless, I'm sure a very minor issue, maybe a little warm?

You should consider starting a grow journal, the resident gurus can help you more than you can currently imagine.

Ok, here we go - this is where I can start getting some advice, as I am just noticing a few things. My guess is that it is because I decided to not give her nutrients with the last watering (I had been smothering her - we all know how ladies hate that, so I gave her some space just in case ;) lol).

1) Yes, slight tacoing. My tent is temp controlled in my garage at about 75 degrees and when I open the door, I've noticed the plant taco up suddenly in the past. Can sudden blasts of cold air cause it? If not, perhaps a nutrient deficiency. This leads me to the next thing I noticed...

2) I just noticed the red/purple stems towards the top. I know some strains have this, but in my case... im thinking it's a sign of nutrient deficiency?

You can see in the pic that I have plucked water leafs where I feel it will open up the plant and overall provide more light per leaf - I'm likely screwing myself. I'm kind of experimenting with things on my first go, hopefully to learn as much as possible on this Guinea pig.

Thanks in advance for the help!
20160106_222447.jpg

She looks pretty healthy. My rule is they are always better under fed than over fed.
Any plans for training her? Personally Id top her.
Your pics are probably uploading sideways because the camera was held sidways when the photo was taken. For example my Samsung has to take pics while being held landscape vs portrait.

It's upright on my phone, then slips over when it's uploaded. Strange. I'll take pics horizontally from now on and see what happens! :)

Sent from my SM-N920T using 420

Nope, I'm with OG now, she looks great. Just my old eyes.

She's a photo period Northern Lights?

I wouldn't worry yourself at all about the purple stems. It's often a sign of stress, but some stress is good for your girl. It could also just be genetic, or from the cooler/cold air you were mentioning. In and of itself it's not a concern, in my opinion.

A grow journal is the way to go if you're looking for more comprehensive opinions. We'll want to take a virtual tour of your grow space, setup, methods, etc. I'll be shooting to subscribe up on the first page, as it looks to me like you're gonna have a great grow.

I should make it clear that I'm a newbie myself, with one set finally approaching harvest and my second set just sprouting, so I'm far from the best resource you will have in a grow journal.

the stems being red or purple are almost always a nutiant thing. I've heard the argument that some strains do this on there own. but it's always from someone who always has this issue but produces good bud that makes the case. if anything I believe it could be that the stain itself is more prone to the defeciancy or toxicity that causes the probolem.
I wanna say it's a magnesium or potassium thing don't quote me on that.

all I know is when my girls get stressed from heavy trimming she gets the same color on the stems as yours but it eventually goes away. it's not that bad of a probolem nothing you can't fix or she can't fix herself. if my theory is correct and they do this when under stress from heavy trimming as well.

anyway she still looks good may be a little too hot for her and she may be lacking a little of something but she should do just fine and thoes branches will take off as soon as thoes baby leafs open up.

I've noticed that if you just let the branch go at least a full set before removing the fan leaf to that node toopen the canipy, the branches take off faster. sometimes we tend to trim too much which slows growth but dosnt completely stunt the growth!

Thanks, dude!

Very helpful.

I DID just trim recently before going into 12/12... that could be causing the coloration! Nutrients will be coming with the next watering too. At that time, I'll see if anything changes.

I'll definitely hold off on trimming the water leafs from now on... I had the feeling it was slowing them down - you confirmed it.

Sent from my SM-N920T using 420

I agree with arteekay you should start a journal. you will get much better advice from alot more knowledgeable members! make sure you put your journal in the grow journal forum tho. this makes some people upset and not want to answer you if it is not in the grow journal area. just wanted to let you know that so you can continue to get the support of everyone!

had to edit.. I'm a nube as well! so don't take everything I say as the truth. I'm still learning and love being corrected if wrong! good luck! hope to see a journal soon I'd love to follow it!

I DID just trim recently before going into 12/12... that could be causing the coloration! Nutrients will be coming with the next watering too. At that time, I'll see if anything changes.

I'll definitely hold off on trimming the water leafs from now on... I had the feeling it was slowing them down - you confirmed it.

I think most growers would advise to let your girls recover from any training stress before you flip to 12/12. Do your trimming and training while in veg, and again if necessary before they get too deep into flowering.

Those big fan leaves are what is making the sugars to get you those big buds.

IMG_7006-1.jpg

defanetly agreed appon arteekay I've been in veg for a minute due to personal reasons and the stress im putting these girls trough. so they are super thick now and the base of the stalks are about as round as a golf ball no joke. the main branches are bout as big as your thumb arround where they connect to the main stalk! I'll have up close and personal pics when I start the journal. not much longer

AK... im jealous of your grow! Livin' up to your "grow big" name ;)

So, good news - I checked on her this morning and she is looking extremely happy and healthy. Reaching for the sky, little to no taco (pic below), and no color on the stems. I'm pretty sure she got slightly stressed when I thinned her out and she bounced back (she has been one tough cookie). Now, it's just time to feed/water occasionally and let her do her thing!

Here is a pic of her from this morning:
20160107_125023.jpg

And here is a closeup of the leaf - looks like a healthy amount of "taco" to me? Only a slight bit of it...
20160107_121959.jpg

Lastly... another (better and horizontal this time) picture of my setup.
20160107_121907.jpg

Back
Top Bottom