Newbie's Loses Growing Virginity

NormanTBates

First of all, I must say high to everyone in the forum and thank you all in advance for any assistance.

So I am attempting my first grow, it will be a small indoor operation. I admit my lack of knowledge on the subject, but also feel I know enough to grow succesfully. I have converted an old refrigerator into a two-part grow. I know I'm not the first, but I think I have a pretty good design.

My first question is, if I run two 125w 6500k CFL bulbs for say fourteen hours a day how much will my electricity bill be affected? Second, what are the most energy efficient bulbs to purchase? :hmmmm:

Moving on from there, I am planning to use the bottom for two mother plants. What are the best methods to trim these plants and keep them small, but also ensure plenty of available clones? I plan to use a SCROG setup for the top compartment with maybe twelve clones max.

I am planning on welding a few brackets to make an activated carbon filter for my exhausts. I was going to use five-gallon buckets with activated carbon inside. Would one bucket be enough to cover the odor or should I use two? How long does the carbon last before I need to change it?

As I get closer to starting, I will definately post some pics. Any help or advice is appreciated.

:rollit:

Welcome to 420, glad to have you with us. Try reading How to Grow Marijuana - 420 Magazine as well as checking out some grow journals here Grow Journals - 420 Magazine. The idea of an old refigerator is interesting, but unless the compressor and all the coolant has been removed, you may have some issues with toxic freon vapors circulating inside. As for how much the lighting will affect your bill, there will not be much change at all, the bulbs you are talking about are 125 watt equivilant and only use 40w of actual power.

High Norman and welcome....I am on my first grow as well, and can't say enough about this site and sits members for being there with all the help and info we need.
I am running close to 400 watts of cfl and a couple fans and a A/C unit a few hours a day and have only noticed a 15% increase in my power bill...

High and welcome to 420 Magazine :welcome:

You might want to look through this forum to get ideas.
Cabinet, Closet, & Grow Room Setup - 420 Magazine

In your investment budget - light capacity is the most important consideration. Aim for 100 watts per square foot and not less than 50. Most people aim for 1 plant per square foot unless they are growing 12/12 from seed or other specialty methods.

Back
Top Bottom