Super stealth first time grow

LancedBoyle

420 Member
Hi. I have amassed most of my supplies and am into some preliminary testing for a super stealth grow. I live in a non-tolerant country in a small house with teenagers. I know I'm threading a tiny needle but I'll give it a go until it stinks or the jig is up but I think I can do it.

Here's the set up: I have a 160l plastic food grade barrel with an air-tight lid and a 50l masonry bucket that is wide enough at the mouth for the barrel to snuggly sit on top. The bucket is the reservoir and the barrel, the grow chamber. I will double line the barrel with mylar and cut 3 holes into it: one on the lower side for the intake (computer) fan and another on top for the 170 m³/h carbon filter and a third in the bottom for the mesh grow pot to sit in. I'll be executing a DWC grow to minimize disturbance. I've got a great LED light (maybe too much but I can dial it down if need be)

In short, autoflower seedling nestles into cocos pellet which goes into mesh pot with clay balls at bottom of the barrel; the barrel sits on top of the masonry bucket with its nutrient-rich, aerated water just kissing the plant root. Air comes in from the fan and out through the carbon filter. Abundant full spectrum light showers the plant with photons.

Originally I was going to grow in the attic but temps up there drop to below freezing and access would be limited and dependent on no one being home; instead I have a work/utility room that is normally a disaster and which my teenagers avoid like the plague. Behind the water heater is an old chimney exhaust for our previous boiler which constantly draws air upwards (the house was built with a passive ventilation system). I plan to position the bucket/barrel next to the boiler with the carbon filter sticking up at the back closest to the chimney exhaust which is extended towards the carbon filter using flexible ducking and then plastic over the filter and exhaust ducking (basically all the air from the filter is channeled up the chimney). On top and around the grow will be more plastic, buckets and detritus to camouflage the set up.

As the barrel bottom extends a bit into the bucket, my usable bucket liquid volume is about 25l and I will cut a 4cm hole in the upper side of the bucket for a tube to sit permanently to test and feed in the water into the reservoir so I don't have to lift the barrel.

My grow area is less than 10cf. and my ultra silent fan can blow 56 cfm. The grow light has a fan but because of the barrel lid I cannot align it with where I need to put the carbon filter so I was thinking of putting another silent fan just below the carbon filter but I would rather not. I will try an active bottom intake and passive exhaust (I'm thinking that the light fan, though not under the carbon filter hole will encourage air through the carbon filter and the chimney exhaust will help draw air through the filter as well and out of the house.) I will test this with some incense to see if there is any smell. Smell is a deal breaker.

In terms of grow, it will be a kratky/DWC variation. I will visit the darling on three occasions: first when I put it in the mesh pot; second after a few weeks to low stress train the growth; and lastly when I harvest. Otherwise I will monitor everything using a camera and hydro/temp meter. The water will be temp regulated with an aquarium heater/thermometer and as mentioned I will test ph, nutrients (PPM) and water level through the access tube.

My main concerns at the moment are the exhaust. I wonder if the force of the intake air will be enough to push the air through the filter and if the light fan will cause too much turbulence so that there is no draw out of the grow chamber. Testing should give answers.

If you have comments or tips please let me know. I will post the full grow and pictures once I'm underway. Still waiting for seeds to arrive. Cheers.

Hi. I have amassed most of my supplies and am into some preliminary testing for a super stealth grow. I live in a non-tolerant country in a small house with teenagers. I know I'm threading a tiny needle but I'll give it a go until it stinks or the jig is up but I think I can do it.

Here's the set up: I have a 160l plastic food grade barrel with an air-tight lid and a 50l masonry bucket that is wide enough at the mouth for the barrel to snuggly sit on top. The bucket is the reservoir and the barrel, the grow chamber. I will double line the barrel with mylar and cut 3 holes into it: one on the lower side for the intake (computer) fan and another on top for the 170 m³/h carbon filter and a third in the bottom for the mesh grow pot to sit in. I'll be executing a DWC grow to minimize disturbance. I've got a great LED light (maybe too much but I can dial it down if need be)

In short, autoflower seedling nestles into cocos pellet which goes into mesh pot with clay balls at bottom of the barrel; the barrel sits on top of the masonry bucket with its nutrient-rich, aerated water. Air comes in from the fan and out through the carbon filter. Abundant full spectrum light showers the plant with photons.

Originally I was going to grow in the attic but temps up there drop to below freezing and access would be limited and dependent on no one being home; instead I have a work/utility room that is normally a disaster and which my teenagers avoid like the plague. Behind the water heater is an old chimney exhaust for our previous boiler which constantly draws air upwards (the house was built with a passive ventilation system). I plan to position the bucket/barrel next to the boiler with the carbon filter sticking up at the back closest to the chimney exhaust which is extended towards the carbon filter using flexible ducking and then plastic over the filter and exhaust ducking (basically all the air from the filter is channeled up the chimney). On top and around the grow will be more plastic, buckets and detritus to camouflage the set up.

As the barrel bottom extends a bit into the bucket, my bucket liquid volume to the bottom of the nestled barrel is about 25l and I will cut a 4cm hole in the upper side of the bucket for a tube to sit permanently to test and feed in the water into the bucket so I don't have to lift the barrel.

My grow area is less than 25cf. and my ultra silent fan can blow 56 cfm. The grow light has a fan but because of the barrel lid I cannot align it with where I need to put the carbon filter so I was thinking of putting another silent fan just below the carbon filter but I would rather not. I will try an active bottom intake and passive exhaust (I'm thinking that the light fan, though not under the carbon filter hole will encourage air through the carbon filter and the chimney exhaust will help draw air through the filter as well and out of the house.) I will test this with some incense to see if there is any smell. Smell is a deal breaker.

In terms of grow, it will be a kratky/DWC variation. I will visit the darling on three occasions: first when I put it in the mesh pot and situate it in the barrel, second after a few weeks to low stress train the growth and lastly when I harvest. Otherwise I will monitor everything using a camera and hydro/temp meter. The water will be temp regulated with an aquarium heater/thermometer and as mentioned I will test ph, nutrients (PPM) and water level through the access tube.

My main concerns at the moment are the exhaust. I wonder if the force of the intake air will be enough to push the air through the filter and if the light fan will cause too much turbulence so that there is no draw out of the grow chamber. Testing should give answers.

If you have comments or tips please let me know. I will post the full grow and pictures once I'm underway. Still waiting for seeds to arrive. Cheers.
Welcome to 420Magazine my friend. :welcome:
Can't wait to see that garden.
If you need a hand with anything let me know, I'm always around.
Here is a thread to start your journal.
Take care.

#Love What You Grow
Bill284 :cool:

Welcome to 420 Magazine @LancedBoyle

I like your DYI thinking, but I see one major issue you will be facing, and that is how often you plan on attending to you lady.
Will you be growing one or more plants?

Do you have any images of your setup so far?

Here's some helpful info.

Welcome New Members - Please Read Before Posting

Here is some information if you would like to start a a grow journal How to Make a Grow Journal

If you want to see want other growers are doing, here's that link. This is where you place your journal.

Journals in Progress

Current and Ongoing
www.420magazine.com

And, after you have over 50 posts you can vote and enter our contest to win free grow stuff from our sponsors.

420 Contests
Win Cool 420 Prizes
www.420magazine.com

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:

Welcome to 420 Magazine @LancedBoyle

I like your DYI thinking, but I see one major issue you will be facing, and that is how often you plan on attending to you lady.
Will you be growing one or more plants?

Do you have any images of your setup so far?

Here's some helpful info.

Welcome New Members - Please Read Before Posting

Here is some information if you would like to start a a grow journal How to Make a Grow Journal

If you want to see want other growers are doing, here's that link. This is where you place your journal.

Journals in Progress

Current and Ongoing
www.420magazine.com

And, after you have over 50 posts you can vote and enter our contest to win free grow stuff from our sponsors.

420 Contests
Win Cool 420 Prizes
www.420magazine.com

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:
Cheers Tokin Roll. It's one plant at a time and I plan on getting the set up right and doing a one time LS training after the 4th or 5th branching, and leaving it till harvest. I understand that it's 'Jesus-take-the-wheel' but once the stank is on I can't open the lid except to abort or harvest (how to do that low odor I haven't figured out yet). I will be able to see if something catastrophic is occurring because of the video monitor and I will have access to the water reservoir through the bucket tube so I can check ph and such. No images yet but very soon.

Let's get you through the first month or so.

You don't need to worry about the smell in veg.

After you have a seedling and start the grow; will you be able to check on her if there is no smell?
Yes if there is no smell, I could get at it but it would entail moving a bit of stuff out of the way and maybe pulling it out from its corner so I really only want to do so if necessary. Also bending over the barrel to work on the darling will be uncomfortable and awkward. But getting at it would take two minutes maybe. I'm an early riser and the rest of the family sleeps in, so I plan on doing any maintenance in the wee hours and airing out the room pronto but, never having grown before, the stench has me worried so the less exposure the better. Again I will have constant surveillance via the camera (wyze cam 2 btw). I will also be using a bluetooth enabled thermometer/hydrometer so I can get alarms if things start getting too hot/cold or wet/dry.

@LancedBoyle , as my comrades have said above, welcome to the club.

I too am eager to seeing your setup, your plan sounds "sound" (pardon my play on words).
And, with due respect, your avatar and name is very un-usual and one to remember.

Cheers.

Here's the gear (mostly) and a rough idea of the set up.

$100 to whomever can spot me in the mess

The carbon filter will be wrapped in a carbon prefilter (see supplies) and then connected to the chimney exhaust with plastic tubing

50l bucket/reservoir. a 4cm hole will be drilled under the lip for a plastic tube so I can refill the water and check ph and nutrients

There is a strong local (within 10cms) air draw, so restricting the ambient air with plastic tubing (maybe a plastic bag with holes at either end) should pull the post filter air up the chimney

Side hole for the fan and bottom hole for the mesh pot. The interior will be double lined with mylar (single layer lets light through) from top to bottom.

Nestling in the bucket. I will add some weather stripping where the barrel meets the bucket to seal it up proper like.

The lid has an extra hole from a failed workshop cyclone dust collector. I will seal it up. The lights will hang from lid and due to the small space and floor to ceiling mylar lining I won't be adjusting them.

Welcome to 420 @LancedBoyle!

This set-up and grow is really going to be interesting to watch!

Happy growing! :Rasta:

:: chomping loudly on popcorn:: I love LOVE all the thought you have put in to this. Stealth, check. Fans, check. QUIET fans double check for added stealth. Nutes, headroom, water, lights, built in "neglect" (meaning worry free time away) , triple check. :: sitting back for the ride:: There are several other things you did absolutely correctly but I started choking on my popcorn

Welcome to 420 @LancedBoyle
Interesting set up. I'd love to follow along.
A couple of suggestions:
I didn't see air stones and a pump to keep your reservoir mixed. You might also incorporate a tube that could be used to empty your reservoir when it is time for a change. Modifications could be challenging after the system is up and running.

nice first post. you can easily make a small set up work for you.

do a quick search on space buckets. you're doing a bit of a larger version, but there are several approaches. a few guys here used to do them as well.

i'd suggest planning for some side lighting on the walls of the bucket. there are low power led strings folk use. a fem photo plant may be easier over all as well to grow. you can run a 12/12 light schedule from start and treat it as an auto if you want.

i'n not sure if @TurboBucket is still around but he could give you some ideas. i'd do a search on some of his earlier journals when he ran the space buckets. i know he's moved up from them now.

I am fascinated and confused all at once! Situation normal 😎✌️I did think of one thing, if it's not too late. The inside of the Blue Stealth setup. You could paint it white or maybe line it with foil to let the light reflect rather than be absorbed by the dark blue. HAPPY TRAILS!!

Yes if there is no smell, I could get at it but it would entail moving a bit of stuff out of the way and maybe pulling it out from its corner so I really only want to do so if necessary. Also bending over the barrel to work on the darling will be uncomfortable and awkward. But getting at it would take two minutes maybe. I'm an early riser and the rest of the family sleeps in, so I plan on doing any maintenance in the wee hours and airing out the room pronto but, never having grown before, the stench has me worried so the less exposure the better. Again I will have constant surveillance via the camera (wyze cam 2 btw). I will also be using a bluetooth enabled thermometer/hydrometer so I can get alarms if things start getting too hot/cold or wet/dry.
There's strains that can help as their smells diminished just for this reason. Also look for one that actually produces. Then some seeds they sell aren't ripe to me and it reduces your harvest.
The smell can still be noticed so act like you didn't outside. It only smells strong while flowering. I believe once any volume of air escapes the smell will lessen for you.

There's strains that can help as their smells diminished just for this reason.

they have a tendency to also be missing most of what we want in a plant. there's more than one reason skunk is legendary lol

loud is where it lives :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom