Nivana's Chrystal 11 Weeks Into Veg - Advice Welcome!

First off for the pH pen you need to things you can get from the grow store. You need storage solution (assuming you got a good one) and calibration fluid. The pen will stop working if the tip drys out. so you can get a bottle of storage solution at the grow store and one bottle will last forever. The calibration fluid is needed as you should be calibrating regularly. I do it at least every month and whenever things start not making sense. I know what my water should be out of the tap so that's how you know. Some people calibrate weekly but that is overkill.

So Calcium Def is one of those that once it is there it wont get fixed. That part of the leaf is dead. When the new leafs come in and look good you know you have fixed it. Calcium is one you can't over do so just follow the bottles recommendation for a high dose for the next watering and you should be fine. I can't remember how long it takes for calcium def to stop but what you are looking for is new growth to be good and for the spots to stop spreading. Then you can back off to once every 2 weeks and you will be fine. All of that assuming the pH is good.

Silica is a goofy one. In soil it really needs to be there a while and break down for the plant to absorb it. With the bacteria it works faster. I end up using it also as my pH UP when adjusting water so it gets added a bit at a time anyway. That is one I also would add just once every 2 weeks according to the bottles instruction. The plant wont suffer at all without it and if you don't know better you would never see the plant have issues without it. But it really helps make strong stalks that will hold up to heavy buds. It also helps make strong stalks that do well under training. So assuming we get some big buds at the end of this we will want some strong stalks.

lets wait to see them dry out and decide if we need to add VF-11. that tea has a lot of natural fertilizers so you may be good to go. you may just need the Cal Mag and the Silica for the first watering. I rarely but some times even get a little nute burn from it if it unlocks and breaks down stuff in the soil that was sitting there not available.

A good soil blend like what I try to do almost goes the grow without fertilizers.

VF-11 ids great stuff and very well balanced and easy to use so it is good general purpose recovery food. In hydro I use it as the main fert through all of Veg. That plus some Silica and some Cal mag will get me all the way through veg with very nice plants.

my new ph pen came this afternoon...i got the same kind you use...i didn't want another blue lab and i figured if it worked good enough for you, it should be good enough for me...but it won't turn on...drat! i'm hoping its batteries are dead...i'll go to the store tomorrow and get new batteries...so annoying!

i already got the storage solution and calibration fluid...it's for the blue lab, but it should be ok for any ph pen, right? or no?

yeah that stuff should work no problem with the new pen. Odd that the battery is dead. If that's the case hows the tip? Is it dry? I may have sat around too long and be no good. That would suck...I bought mine at the hydro store. A little more spendy than online but then I could take it back if it didn't work.

good news! it was the batteries...i'm so very glad...been in the attic all morning working on things...what a difference this ph pen is from the blue lab...it's quick and consistent...i think i might've treated the blue lab badly when i was first using it...no respect! lol...

so happy days are here again...and life is good...and just for fun...here's a picture of our 4 patients taken this morning!

the_4_patients.jpg

cool beans....the one in the bottom right looks like what we want from the others...real bushy with lots of good branches and nodes. I think if all goes well in about a week we can do the final whack and 2 more and they will be ready for bloom.

We could probably whack them now as they look stable and healthy but I always like to see the lower branches having started first.

hey V...merry christmas...hope you had a really nice day!

we are going out of town early sunday morning and will be home on tuesday afternoon. the plants are all looking fine right now, but they'll need water before tuesday, so i'm thinking that tomorrow i should give them all a nice long drink, filled with good stuff. on tuesday, when we get home (or maybe wednesday), i'll take some closeup pictures of each plant so you can see just how they are doing.

so in their water, i should add ca/mg, vf-11, pro-tekt...just following the directions on the bottles, correct? i figure each plant will probably take a quart of water...maybe two. does that sound right to you and did i miss anything?

Ahhh....I would hold off on the Vf-11 until next watering. There should be more than enough ferts in there from the tea if you used all the stuff I have in the recipe. It may go easily 2 waterings on that and if you had some decent soil in there it may reactivate it. We don't want to burn them. The Cal mag and Silica however is right on. In fact if you have a sugar product as well that would be good to add to help keep them bacteria going.

We will get to the VF-11. And the stuff will sit around fine and be good for the next grow too. No need to use it because we have it. We will want to use it when it is ready for some nutes. If we burn them then we are right back to where we started. If we under feed the signs will be clear and we can add some ferts and it will perk right up.

I am in 8 journals, 4 of them are very active, 3 are daily back and forth. So I get a bit confused which is which. I think you did the tea correctly so you may have a very good reconditioned soil right now with a bunch of microbes in there breaking down stuff making food from what is there.

Many people live a die by following a fertilizer schedule and can not handle changing and this causes problems. What I am trying to do with you is teach you how to speak cannabis. We are going to get you to a point where you know what good looks like so that means you know what not good looks like so at least you can ask. Patients is one of the most important tools we have. Over fertilization and over watering are the most common problems for new growers. They want to get in there every day and do something. The plants when taken care of properly need to be watered about once a week and maybe every 3 days need some tucking. It is good for the plants to be left alone.

If it is time to water before you go then give them a strong watering. if it is not then you might want to just give a little bit to get it through or even not at all if it is moderately moist still. they can go thirst for a while but that wont be great on the bacteria. But drowning them also isn't great. So I would play it by ear and see how they feel right before you go.

Ahhh....I would hold off on the Vf-11 until next watering. ... The Cal mag and Silica however is right on. In fact if you have a sugar product as well that would be good to add to help keep them bacteria going.

sounds good...just the cal mag and silica this time, then...and i will check their soil before we leave...it's #4 that suffers first from needing water, and she is looking good right now...but i'm afraid by tuesday evening, she will be really wilted. her lower growth is coming along nicely, too!

edit: oh yeah, and you said sugar and i have some of the aphrodites extraction and that's the sugar, right?

so i'll water them according to their needs...play it by ear, as you say...

Many people live a die by following a fertilizer schedule and can not handle changing and this causes problems. What I am trying to do with you is teach you how to speak cannabis. We are going to get you to a point where you know what good looks like so that means you know what not good looks like so at least you can ask.

exactly...and very excited about it, too!! thank you so much...such a wonderful gift!

good morning V!

we've returned from our trip and i've spent the morning pinching growth shoots off the tops of our 4 patients. my strategy is to pinch off all growth shoots above a certain height, leaving only the fan leaves on the tops of the branches.

before leaving on saturday, i gave them some ph'd water to hold them over until today. i will be giving them the cal mag and silica and sugar in about an hour.

here are the pictures i took this morning, front and back of each plant. they all seem to be doing fine, but they do need that cal mag...i can see that!

#2 is kinda sparse - probably the most sparse of the 4 down low.
2015-12-30_12_39_35.jpg
2015-12-30_12_39_15.jpg

#3 is the bushiest because i never cloned it.
2015-12-30_12_33_48.jpg
2015-12-30_12_33_29.jpg

#5 is also sparse, but doing ok, too.
2015-12-30_12_29_05.jpg
2015-12-30_12_28_32.jpg

#4 was the biggest, originally i had thought it would be a mother - but then it tried to die on me so all bets were off! it has good growth down low...
2015-12-30_12_21_28.jpg
2015-12-30_12_21_06.jpg

Looking good... Id say 4 might be ready to have the top taken back as it filling in below... You say you need some cal mag. well if the leaves are looking good down there I might consider chopping 4 in half.

How far away is the light and what kind of light are you using? it would help them I bet to try and get that light closer...well I know it would. You basically want it as close as you can get it without burning them.

That number 3 is gonna be a beast once she starts really going again. That one just needs to get some healthy growth going and you could probably start blooming that one.

We want a good 6 inches from the arms we want to keep before blooming. In a great environment with a good light you can get 2 inches a day so we could see that thing rebound in under a week once it gets happy.

Glad to see they made it! I too am taking a trip for a few days in a little bit and I will have to hold my breath :)

i'm using a philips 400w ceramic metal halide with a magnetic ballast.

i just dropped the light this morning...had it up very high because ... well ... it just seemed like the best thing to do at the time...but now it's much lower and i will keep dropping it as they adjust.

i am looking forward to cutting #4 back! i'm going to chop out that middle stem and those long ones on the side that are pretty bare and too high on the main stem for our purposes...

they just got a quart of ph'd water with sugar, silica, and cal mag...so with that and the lowered light, we should be seeing some growth!

i took a couple of pictures of the leaves on #5...for some reason she seems to be taking the whole thing the hardest...do you think the leaf damage in the pictures is due to a cal mag deficiency? the affected leaves are near the top of the plant...

2015-12-30_16_14_22.jpg
2015-12-30_16_14_12.jpg

a 400 watt hid fixture should be about 2 feet above your canopy. you can run it 18" away if the temperature is ok, but you lose coverage. that looks like a phosphorus issue. villiageidiot displayed calcium and magnesium issues perfectly.

hey b.real...thank you for the response!

you are correct...VillageIdiot did display calcium and magnesium issues perfectly.

i appreciate your input!

right now, the light is about 18" from the tops of the tall plants...but they're going to get whacked lower, so i'm trying to focus on the lower branches...:)

So I have seen that before and I think it is a pH issue but I am still looking. I can't place the link here as this website will remove it. But google the following and find the website with a blue background. It is my favorite for diagnosing issues.

"Cannabis Leaf Symptoms & Plant Problems Marijuana Nutrient Deficiencies"

Phosphorus looks kinda similar but there are 2 main things I don't like about that as the culprit. #1 the solution is fixing the pH / doing a pH'd slush and then adding a Bat guano or Worm casting Tea...which is exactly what we have done right? #2 Phos Def is not really centered around the veins and that is tracking the veins. Here are some phos Def pictures.

phosphorus-deficiency-bagseed-haze-sm.jpg

phosphorus-deficiency-bagseed-haze2-sm.jpg

phosphorus-deficiency-leaf-spots-curling-sm.jpg

stages:

stages-of-phosphorus-deficiency.jpg

So it could be Phos. Def. but I am gonna keep looking. If it is new problems lets be clear about what we have done in the past 2 weeks. if it is old lingering issues from when we started this then it is nothing to be worried about. Leaves wont heal that kind of damage.

I swear those pics are from a while back I think I recall those....? Maybe from before we started this journal?

Yeah I am thinking you had this from before from the pH problem that started all of this. That is probably Phos Def....but I bet is is resolved and if not we didn't get the pH down enough. If so next time you water drive it all the way down with some 6.2 water.

I think we did flush, waited, tea, waited, VF11...and now we are ready to put in another tea?

Lets dry it out and drive in a strong tea with some very low water.

sounds good, V! i'm going to look back on previous pictures for #5...

i did the flush on 12/06.
i whacked them down on 12/17.
i gave them the tea on the 12/21.
i gave them water ph'd to 6.7 or so last saturday before leaving town - 12/26.
this morning i gave them cal mag, silica, and sugar ph'd to 6.8.

looking back through the pictures, i think this is new damage, mostly because it's so noticeable...but i'm not a reliable observer, yet.

page 3 has pictures right after i whacked them and page 5 has pictures from when i gave them the tea.

i'm going to go take some more pictures of #5...

Back
Top Bottom