Noob needs help with germinating

Jenjen

Hello all, and thanks for any advice you offer. I've been trying to germinate bagseed of undetermined origin and age. I tried the water method (started 6/27/12) with no germ. I next tried the paper towel method (7/4/12) with no germ. Then I tried the soil method (7/10/12) with no germination yet. Should I try something else with the bagseed? I bought some seeds from a highly-rated online suplplier, but they haven't arrived yet (7 days and counting). I've read much of the information supplied here at 420 and appreciate the helpful spirit. Thanks for your advice!

I will tell you how I do it, although there is no right way. I put the seeds in a matchbox with a piece of sandpaper and shake it for about 30 seconds. This allows the water to penetrate the shell easily. I then drop them in a shotglass half full of bottled water. In about two days the seed should have popped. Then bury it in some dirt in a 3 or 4" pot and watch it grow!

I was never a fan of the paper towel method, because I ruined seeds once when it dried out.

The bag seeds may have been old, or they may have been picked to early (my guess).

Good luck!

I was never a fan of the paper towel method, because I ruined seeds once when it dried out.

My experience exactly - i have 90%+ germinating ratio from proper seeds and then at least 1 of 5 root gets damaged because of the paper towel. Last time i tried it withuot and everything went fine.
This should be a relatively easy process, so it seems like your seeds are not alive - wich is probably for the better, i would not waste much effort without knowing for sure that they have good genetics.

Thanks GreenChrome and invi. I'm going to try scarification, simply because I think I tried nearly everything else. I really hope that it's the seeds because (hopefully) the seeds I ordered from BDS will arrive soon (11 days since the order was mailed). I hope I won't have this much trouble with germinating fresh seeds. It's shaken my confidence a bit, although I've been gardening for many years.

It would be good if you good maintain an appropriate temperature for the seeds to germinate, 75F(25c) does wonders to any MJ seed, drop them to a drinking glass to crack for 24 hours ..then transplant to a dish and place them gently between 2 damp kitchen towels, until the little white tails, are half inch to 1 inch long..then gently transport them to your Humadore, temperature and humidity are vital at this stage, keep the soil damp,...use one of those kitchen spray bottles, you'll need it later for foilar feeding.
Stay with your T8's( I use 'em with great success) temperature here is your only fault...maintain that 75F/25C. don't over water, and get a temperature/ humidity gauge....very useful

peace
"V"

repeated elsewhere

Back
Top Bottom