1st time grower having germinating problems!

Honestly I was happy with my first grow until I saw some of the amazing things other people are doing with theirs. They make mine look so shitty that ever since then I have started to rethink my setup and strategy. I'm so much more confident about my next grow already that I can't wait to start documenting that one. I'm glad to hear we have a similar space though, it's always good to have someone to bounce ideas off of and share success stories with.

As for heat and odor....

- Heat hasn't been a major concern for me. The bottom shelf is running a T5 and just recently added 3 23w cfl's on 18/6. I have a oscillating fan blowing usually 24/7 and the temps rarely break 84 F. The top shelf on the other hand has a 200w cfl on 12/12 and that space gets as warm as 90 F if I don't peel back the curtain during the light cycle. It also has a 24/7 oscillating fan.
- Odor has just recently become an issue as my plants are getting close to harvest. I have a small condo and you can smell it when you first walk in the front door if I have my closet doors open. Currently each space has its own mini ozone generator which helps, but also creates a distinct smell of its own. My only real concern at this point is if I have company coming over, but the smell isn't so bad that a scented candle isn't enough to cover it at this point. I may get a carbon filter down the road, but for me it just isn't necessary yet.

What are you thinking for your setup?

Hey I upgraded my lights to the T5s also. I like them way better. I have one for seedlings stage and another T5 lamp that holds 4x 4ft 54w and there both high output lamps. My setup is 5 shelf system from bottom to top. I got a sweet deal on this heavy duty plastic lighting shelf for $49 so it actually helps me with my sace I have to work with. The smell isn't to bad but then again both hoods has fans in them. I'm starting to hydro also I'm on my 2nd text run, first one was a fail. Didn't like using clay rock. Coco coir to me is better. Any who I have to check you guy journals out. Happy growng to both

My first 2 ladies came from the same source. They looked exactly alike as they grew. The only difference was color, one was purple, the other was golden. After drying and curing, they looked, smelled and tasted alike, only difference was color. As for odor control I planted 2 pots of Marigold seeds that grew right along with the meds. Don`t know how good it worked, but I had the seeds, pots and soil, so I went for it. It really did seem to help.
Peace & Great Growin`
YR

Thanks, WizHigh! I'm glad to hear that it's okay. Wow - a blue seedling. That musta been freaky!

I found this threw google for you, i have new seedlings and they had brown tips also and slow growth. so read this it will help more. it was helpful to me.

" The browning edges could be a lot of things-low humidity, burned from fertilizer or lack of fertilier, cold weather, etc. Are the browning tips the seedling leaves or the first true leaves? If it's the seedling leaves, wouldn't worry about it. Give them a little while and see if they come out of it. You could reseed now and leave the plants there, and if they come out of it just pull the new seedlings when they germinate."

Wizhigh, got any pics of your setup? I always enjoy seeing what others are doing, especially if you have some similar equipment.

i can take pictures but since i dont hace computer right now the only way is to attatch a link or i could go to a local library. Its pretty much a 3 shelf system that moves up the shelf as they veg until harvest. running 2 T5 lamps both high output. the veg shelf lamp is 4ft and holds 4x 54w CFLs. everything around it including the shelf is white until i get these emergency blankets from walmart $3 a blanket. sweet deal. i also have CFL lights horazontal hanging from the legs of the shelf aiming right at the middle of all the braches for side growt. Those are 250w bulbs. Its a greta system. Bottom shelf is for seedlings ofcourse with heating mat and T5 lamp. Ill post up pics as soon as possible and kep you guys updated.

I did a dumb thing today that pissed me off, I was changing the draining dish and sat one of my plants on th side lamp on the veg shelf and it burned a leaf, hopefully it bounce back. Uhhh....

Speaking of doing dumb things, here's one for ya. I decided that my little slow-growing brown-tipped seed might do better with more light, so I replaced the CFLs with the 400hps -- about 18" away. Three hours later (and 30 degrees hotter) the poor thing was shriveling up. I took the light down, put the CFLs back, and gave the poor thing a drink. :thedoubletake:

I've decided to go for making as many rookie mistakes as possible, and try to win the Noob of the Year Award. If we really learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a freakin' pot-growing genius!

Ouch, hopefully it is able to bounce back ok. At least you are learning from it all. If the temp rose 30 deg after just a few hours then you can expect temps will likely be an issue later when you get to using that hps bulb 12 hours a day. Time to start planning your ventilation strategy now so you are all set by the time you begin to flower this seedling.

On an unrelated note I am headed home today after another 3 days on business travel...the only good thing about leaving for a few days at a time is getting to come back and see a noticeable difference in all of my plants. :)

Yeah, I'm thinking that I'll install a high-powered bathroom exhaust to vent the heat. I have the additional problem of an extremely inquisitive cat who loves to eat plants. Keep the closet door open or closed? I left it open yesterday and I think the heat and bright light kept the cat out. Like getting the plant to grow isn't challenging enough!

Did you get to go somewhere better than Detroit this time? And here's the $64,000 question: Cubs or White Sox?

Well if your cat is walking crooked and bumping into walls then you might want to close the door, haha.

Unfortunately I was back in Detroit...but oh well. I am a Cubs fan, although I have to admit baseball is probably 6th or lower on my list of favorite sports. Not just because the Cubs suck, but because baseball just doesn't do it for me any more. They need to implement a pitch clock (similar to a shot clock in basketball) that is set to 7-10 seconds. Gotta keep that game moving somehow.

Yeah mate, as the sprout grows up a bit more the 2 round leaves will open out and the seed pod will fall off - or once the seedlings up straight and the ssed pod is just sitin on it, you can help remove it, but if it doesnt come away easy just leave it for another day or so, and it should ve fallen off. The color on the seedling will most likely dis appear as the round thumb leaves open up..
Now about these black worms.. I do not know what thiese may be, as i dont use them cubes to grow with, but id say look into what they are, maybe try Problms, pests and disease forum, have a browse and see if there is anything posted that sounds familiar to what yo have.. Or just google soil pests, or just post this in the Pest,prob disease page n hopefully some one with more experience has been thru the same as you. But i wouldnt be too keen to have them near my plant, in case its a bad bug that will eat your plant!!
All the best, soz im not much use for ya.. Smokemup..

Watch and learn every mistake you should NOT make, boys and girls.

Here's a picture of my little sprout, which is officially DRT (dead right there).

drt.jpg

The autopsy was inconclusive, but death was due to either getting fried by an HPS that was too close, or over watering. :rolleyes3

Back to square one: germinating.

The memorial service was unceremoniously held at the compost heap.

I'm not so sure about the heat now. I pulled the seed out before I dumped it, and the root hadn't developed at all. It was the same as when I planted it. I don't know what to make of that. Any ideas?

Just a guess, but I would say that if you compare the picture you posted on 9/4 to the picture from today, it doesn't look like much development had really occurred during that time. So if you did drown it or burned it during those first 2 days then maybe the plant was pretty much dead back then, it just took until now for all of the color to run out from it. That would explain why there wasn't much of a root when you pulled it now. Again, just a guess though.

I haven't pulled any plants at that height yet to know what the roots should look like. Either way though, you now know both over watering and the lamp too close are mistakes so you can rule those out for next time if this were to happen again.

High JenJen,
Sorry to hear about your DRT. I also had a problem with germination this week. I haven't changed any of my methods (wet paper towel in a ziploc) I am thinking it was bogus seeds. I got 3 feminized The Purps and put two in warm wet paper towels inside of a ziploc baggie and then it camps out under my directv receiver. I have been doing this on and off for over 10 years with great results. The only thing I did that I regret was helping the seedling out with removing the seed casing, it was loose and shaking, it came of real easy but shouldn't have because something happened and only one seed leaf appeared and then 3 days later DRT. So I have started another one but after 3 days in the warm wet dry baggie no crack, so I went ahead and put it into the medium I'm using to give it one last try.
I was disappointed right off the bat with the way the seeds looked. No stripes at all, now I don't know much about seeds but all the really good seeds I have used before always had a lot of what I call tiger stripes. Now I don't want to cop an ATTITUDE but I am not in a rush to buy beans form them again, I don't care what kind of promos they have and what kind of UFO (unbelievable Free Offer ) seeds Id get for free. It doesn't do my any good to pay hard to get a hold of funds on seeds that don't do a thing.
Anyways I guess what I wanted you to know is that it's very important to start with good seeds. I would have thought that they would have sent me great seeds with as much money as I sent them? I guess sometimes things work out and sometimes they don't. So don't give up and try again, your lucks bound to change

I'm not so sure about the heat now. I pulled the seed out before I dumped it, and the root hadn't developed at all. It was the same as when I planted it. I don't know what to make of that. Any ideas?

Your seedling ( damped off ) a lot of soil has a fungi in it. Over watering will cause this to happen. There is a solution you can buy. No Damp. I dont find it to be 100% effective though so i usually try not to over water. The culprit could have hijacked its way into your grow medium on the seed pod itself. Your soil only needs to moist if you squeeze it in your hand tightly it should just barely stick together. Also loose not compacted soil. These little darling like lots of air in the soil. The shriveled portion between the head and the soil indicates some sort of fungi or mold.

Back
Top Bottom