1st time grower having germinating problems!

Jenjen

Hello all, and thanks for any advice you offer. I posted this earlier today, but I think I posted it in the wrong place. Please forgive the duplication. I've been trying to germinate bagseed of undetermined origin and age. I'm no expert on seed quality but, judging by what I've read, they're not very healthy looking. I tried the water method (started 6/27/12) with no germ. I next tried the paper towel method (7/4/12) with no germ.

Then I tried the soil method (7/10/12) with no germination yet (some are in plain potting soil and others are in Vigoro Organics potting mix). All of them are in a seedstarting kit, I'm using distilled water, room temperature is 75-77F, no artificial lights. I probably overwatered them at first (being an over-anxious parent), but have cut back the watering.

Should I try something else with the bagseed? I bought some seeds from a highly-rated online supplier, but they haven't arrived yet (7 days and counting). I've read much of the information supplied here at 420 and appreciate the helpful spirit. Thanks for your advice!

I have tried all the methods, and direct in soil gives me the best results.

I like using these now, 32oz styrafoam cups with clear deli lids to keep the moisture in. I use the same soil I use for the big pots with a light dose of OC+ in there to sustain growth. You can grow a fairly big plant in a 32oz. before you need to transplant.

germing_5th_gro.jpg

Direct in the big pot you use is good also, but wastes time and space if you get a dud. If it sprouts, it never goes through the transplant shock and delayed growth. You put a clear plastic cup over the seed and it keeps it moist.

I have seeds 35 yrs old and I tried every method there is. I even contacted some of the seed breeder company support and tried what they suggested. No sprouts yet.

Jenjen

You never know with bag seed how it was handled, what it went through or how it was made so unless it was a stellar bag I would just wait for your seeds ... but... if it was a stellar bag, try the moist (not wet) paper towel method and put them in a ziplock sandwich bag that will "hold" air. When you seal the bag blow in air and seal the bag so it is "blown up" put it in a warm (not hot) place for a few days (don't touch or check on them) on the 3rd day check them if they have not just put them back ... after about 9-10 days I call them duds but I have been surprised at 14 days. If these are old seeds there are other methods I would suggest

Hash Hound

Have you used the sand paper method? ... and check out this thread

42 Year Old Bag Seed!

Thanks for the responses! The seeds were collected over several years, so they weren't from a single bag. The attached picture shows the seeds I'm working with. They don't look anywhere near as good as the ones I've seen here at 420, so I'm not sure if they're viable. On the other hand, if 42-year old seeds germinated, there may be hope for me! I'll definitely try the sandpaper method and your suggestion to try sandpaper/plastic bag.

I'm open to other suggestions, too!

DSCN8438.JPG

I just posted the picture of my "good" seeds, and noticed that several of them are not anywhere near good! Are any of them viable?

Hash Hound

Have you used the sand paper method? ... and check out this thread

42 Year Old Bag Seed!

Buck, ty for the link. Nice to see the guy had some success.

Yes I have tried the sand paper method and just about every other method I could find on line.

The seeds I got were stored in his attic. To many hot cold cycles over the years and they were just in zip locs.
here is a link to my post on the subject. And mine were marked by name so I know the strains.
Will 35 year old seeds sprout

The next time I visit him, I will get some more of them from him and try and try til I get a sprout.

Thanks for the scarification suggestion, Hash Hound. I just tried it, then followed your ziplock bag suggestion. I'll let you know!

Jenjen,

Thanks, but I think you meant to thank Buckshot for the tips.

I just tried a few more of the 35yr old Oaxacan again last night direct in dirt. I'll give them about 10 days or so then try more. I have about a bunch of them.

Hello all. Here's an update on my germination attempts.

Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Oy vey.

I've tried virtually every germination technique explained throughout 420 and other websites. I decided that I needed quality seeds, so I purchased some Northern Lights. I used the paper towel method on 2 seeds and thought they germinated. I carefully planted them in plain potting soil mixed with pearlite, no light, and they've been in a seedstarting kit since Aug. 3 (one week). I check them daily and spray the soil when it seems dry, and I'm trying not to overwater this time. Nothing yet. I wonder if they actually germinated? The "root" that came out looked like thin thread. When I look at pictures of germinated seeds, however, the "root" looks thicker.

Any suggestions or tips? I've been trying to get seeds to germinate for 7 weeks . . .

Jenjen, the only method I have tried is the paper towel method and it has worked 100% of the time for me. How long did you wait before moving them from the paper towel to soil? Normally I leave them for about 2-3 days in the dark and they have always had a nice long tail sticking out before planting. After that it is usually another 2-3 days before a little sprouting comes up thru the dirt.

I wonder if maybe you are just a little anxious and checking them too soon at each stage?

Sorry jenjen but its definately down to your seeds - they all look kinda crappy to me (sorry again). I usually stick mine in a glass of water and leave in a warm, dark place - ive had 100% success with well over 100 by now. Ive found that the paper towel method can dry out very quickly and it can be a pain removing the germinated seeds. If i were you id chalk this up to a bad experience and buy some fem seeds online - then you know theyre not guna turn out males and can choose the traits you want. GL :)

Thanks for responding, Amsterdam28.

Me? A little anxious? You're kidding, right!? Actually, you're probably dead right. :)

I think I waited about 24 hours before I planted the seed. (Me? Anxious?). Too soon? Should I give these another week, then start over?

Just to repeat, the seeds currently underway are NOT the ones pictured above (which was bagseed). The ones I'm trying to now are fresh NL.

Germinating in a water glass was the first thing I tried, but I'm willing to try again. How long do you leave them in?

You're right, the seeds in the picture were crappy. Like any good experiment, though, you learn as much from the failures as the successes. That's why I bought some NL seeds, which I'm using now. Thanks!

Jenjen

I have tried them all with varying degrees of success, but the best success rate for me is direct in dirt. They either sprout or they don't, but at least you eliminate the possibility of damaging the tap root. And the root starts working like it is supposed to right from the start.

What brand NL did you get?

green advocate,

you mention putting them in water. Is that just to soak them a bit before planting or do you actually leave them in water until you see a tap root?

Hi Hash Hound -- good to hear from you again.

I got the NL from buydutchseeds.com.

When I tried the soak method, I just soaked them for 24 hours. I didn't wait for germination. I've read conflicting information about the water method. Some sources say never soak for more than 24 hours, others say soak until germination. Your advice?

Jenjen

I read no more than 12 hrs if I remember correct.

I usually scuff them up a bit in a sand paper tube, then into a shot glass of water for a few hours, then direct in dirt.

I was asking about the breeder of the seed, not the seed bank. ex. are the NL from, Sensi Seeds, Nirvana, etc? I had trouble with my Nrivana NL, but they made good by me. Great company.

Hash Hound,

I don't know the breeder, and can't tell by looking at the BDS website.

Even if I planted the sprout a bit too early, seems like it would do okay in soil (its natural environment), wouldn't it?

This is pretty frustrating, but it helps me work on one of my weakest traits: patience. The whole nursery is ready, save the baby!

Jenjen

it can be very frustrating germinating seeds. Patience is definitely needed for growing.

It is strange to me that buydutchseeds does not mention the breeder on their site.

Any particular reason you are not giving them light? Maybe you should give that a try.

I try to replicate nature. Direct in dirt, light on 16 hrs.

I followed the germination directions on the BDS website: "No light is necessary and may slow germination. Cover germinating seeds with black paper to keep out light." I didn't cover them with black paper, but they're in a dark closet.

I generally believe that following nature is always the best path. The sheer volume of widely-diverging weed-growing practices is bewildering for a newb such as myself, though, and it made me think that simply planting a seed wouldn't work. I finally bought Jorge Cervantes' indoor bible, thinking that I would follow a single source, and was surprised (and dismayed) to find conflicting information within the same text.

What do you counsel? Scarify, soak for 12 hours, plant and place under a light? What kind of light do you put on them for this stage?

Back
Top Bottom