1st time grower having germinating problems!

Just wait until the top dries a little, not for like days n days! Lol.. But once the top soil seems drier, then just water again until its wet and also i must ask what have you planted it in?? A pot, cup or something? Just make sure it has drainage holes.. I usually plant my seedlings in soil in a clear plastic up - so i can see the roots hen they grow large enough to transplant.
All the best with your new arrival, hope she kicks on for you! But yeah, just light watering and light above should see that lil tacker popping thru the surface in a day or so!
GOOD STUFF:goodjob: Smokem..

Smokem, I planted in a Solo cup. I cut a big X on the bottom for good drainage, and so I could easily transplant it (I'm thinking positively).

Thanks for the reminder not to overwater, Seedback. I expect that's one of the mistakes I made previously but, hey! I'm a rookie, so it makes sense that I would make rookie mistakes! Speaking of which, I'm dying to see if it's a seedling yet, but I'll wait 'til tomorrow morning. :thanks:

Sorry to bud in at this point but I have a in need of some help asap question, my seedling just surfaced today and on of them has a bluish hue to the tip of the leaves. it looks like its not going to make it. also there were curled up black worms and black little balls on the rockwool any suggestions

Can you post a pic of it?

Hello all,

Here's a picture of my seed trying to come up. Is the brown area on the seed something to be concerned about?
DSCN8460.JPG

Thanks, A28, but I meant to indicate the brown area at the bottom of the seedling, not the outer shell.

A28:

I thought it might be caused by either having the lamps too close (they were about 4" away, but I pulled them back a bit), or maybe overwatering (I've been misting the top of the soil every morning -- I'll pull back from that, too). This has been a good -- but humbling -- experience so far. I usually have a really green thumb, but I'm getting my comeuppance from these attempts!

I browsed grow journals last night, looking for ideas and tips on exhausting heat and odor, and looked forward to starting my own journal. I've been following yours, partly because our grow areas are quite similar, and always admire how great they look! I'm interested in how you deal with the smell.

As always, thanks for the advice.

Honestly I was happy with my first grow until I saw some of the amazing things other people are doing with theirs. They make mine look so shitty that ever since then I have started to rethink my setup and strategy. I'm so much more confident about my next grow already that I can't wait to start documenting that one. I'm glad to hear we have a similar space though, it's always good to have someone to bounce ideas off of and share success stories with.

As for heat and odor....

- Heat hasn't been a major concern for me. The bottom shelf is running a T5 and just recently added 3 23w cfl's on 18/6. I have a oscillating fan blowing usually 24/7 and the temps rarely break 84 F. The top shelf on the other hand has a 200w cfl on 12/12 and that space gets as warm as 90 F if I don't peel back the curtain during the light cycle. It also has a 24/7 oscillating fan.
- Odor has just recently become an issue as my plants are getting close to harvest. I have a small condo and you can smell it when you first walk in the front door if I have my closet doors open. Currently each space has its own mini ozone generator which helps, but also creates a distinct smell of its own. My only real concern at this point is if I have company coming over, but the smell isn't so bad that a scented candle isn't enough to cover it at this point. I may get a carbon filter down the road, but for me it just isn't necessary yet.

What are you thinking for your setup?

Currently the seedling is under two 23w CFLs, where I plan to leave it for at least two weeks. It isn't coming up very quickly. The pic I loaded today is its stage after 5 days, which seems kinda slow. The thermometer says it's about 84 degrees around the plant.

I got a dimmable system from Amazon that includes both hps and mh bulbs:

Amazon: iPower GLSETX400DHMWING 400-Watt Light Digital Dimmable System for Plants

I did a lot of research on the different lighting systems and finally chose this one, mostly because of the ease of set-up, but also because it seems to offer the best lights for veg and flowering. The drawback, of course, is the heat. I'm probably going to install a bathroom exhaust fan in the closet/grow room and vent to the attic. (We live in the deep south, so there shouldn't be a problem with causing roof damage by venting into the attic.)

I got Fox Farms nutes to use once I (hopefully) make it to the veg stage.

That's about where I am at this point -- a long way from starting a journal.

And I respectfully disagree that your first grow is shitty. You must set very high standards for yourself, 'cause it's great!

Hmmm, 5 days does seem kinda long but don't worry. I have had 2 seeds planted at the same time go at completely different times. One exploded with growth and the other just kinda sat there. Same dirt, same lights, same watering schedule....but different genetics I guess.

That light setup you ordered seems pretty sweet. Let me know how you like it.

Haha, glad you like my grow. If I was in the south we would definitely smoke up
:bigtoke:

Back
Top Bottom