Not sure if this looks normal?

sawyer

Hi This is my second grow the top of the bud has a stem growing out of the top and im not sure if I have anything to worry about like it being a hermi ??? im in week 7 under 600 hps fem seeds purple kush from crop king. Is this normal looking ???
found a seed and open pollen sack piss me off !!! pulled the plant not sure if I should harvest the rest or wait until they finish???
IMG_0407.PNG
IMG_0408.PNG
IMG_039347.jpg
IMG_040435.jpg

Hard to tell but it looks like there may be a nanner right there in the middle to the slight right.

It looks like you stunted it some way and now is taking off again. I have seen that in a few grows. Sometimes the nearing the end the flowers start having multiple flowers shooting out sideways off the kola. When this happens late in bloom it is common for the plant to go hermi because it was stunted. When you stress them late in bloom to the point of stunting the growth... it is very common (almost assurd) for the rebound to go hermi. This is not a poor genetics thing. If it were bad genetics it would have hermied without the rebound. the rebound is a very clear indication of stunting.

Sorrry bro. Try to back track and think about when the growth slowed. You may have given it too concentrated of nutes in late stage at the point where you should be dropping off the nutes. Common also is humidity and or heat problems causing them to sort of go into hibernation...and when they rebound BAM they go hermi.

Depending on the stunting type it will happen every time.

If they stunt because a branch is mostly broken and you tape it together and it repairs then they will be fine.

You are going to want to think about this a lot until you are positive you know what happened otherwise you may repeat this.

Best of luck...they do look purdy!

There does look to be a lot of Calcium deficiency in the newest sugar leaves. My bet is the pH got whacked and when you corrected it they went hermi.

Nanner3.JPG

Thanks for the reply , so I know for sure the one went hermi and am pretty sure I found a open pollen sack? does that mean my others will be hermi? sorry for the dumb questions Im just hoping the last 4 months wasent a total waist:scratchinghead::scratchinghead:

Bananas are rarely round and they don’t look like a normal pollen sac. Instead they’re often elongated and yellow, giving them the nickname “banana”. They also often grow together in bunches that can look like a bunch of bananas. These can be a lot more difficult to control than actual pollen sacs, since they start pollinating everything in the area as soon as they appear. If you have a big banana problem, it may be best to harvest the plants immediately and cut your losses.

What are they? Bananas are actually the exposed “male” parts of a pollen sac, called the “stamen” which would normally be surrounded by a sac to hold all the pollen until it bursts open. If you open up a fully formed male pollen sac, you will see bananas (stamens) inside. But when bananas appear on your plants, they don’t need to “burst” in order to spread pollen, they will immediately start making pollen and often will seed the buds that are close by even if bananas are removed right away, and sometimes the pollen can drift to other plants and pollinate them as well, too.

Well first I wanted to just clarify the original question was "is this normal". That is extremely "normal" for when the plant gets stunted and responds and recovers in bloom. Unfortunately it typically is immediately followed with becoming a hermi. In Veg we can do all kinds of things. But in Bloom when you see the revenging growth of the stalk in the middles of the flower like that where the stalk takes off you have almost assuredly set it up to hermaphrodite on you.

I like to say once you flip the lights it is like are driving downhill without breaks and you gotta know how to steer. The plant starts a cascading set of chemical changes that you can't really control or slow down. The clock starts ticking and the only thing you can do is to flip the lights back on full and fully reveg a plant if there is a problem.

I had noticed you had already figured it out by having edited the post but what I really wanted you to take away from this is yes this is classic hermi 101. I have experienced almost every kind of failure so I have a quick response to pics like that. I would have seen the stalk shooting out and immediately gone seed and nanner hunting. Now you know... but I took one look at the pic and before I noticed the nanner or that you had posted you found them I was going to post "go hunting for them because I bet they are there".

And I still feel your pic shows classic hermi with a big ol nanner right in it. Ripples is correct they can come in a bunch but I have seen more pics online many many times of singles just like yours. I am sure if you let it keep growing you would have a bunch there. I personally have never made nanners. I screwed it up twice in my 22 years. Once very early on and I don't think I knew enough to diagnose what I did wrong. Second time was I had one of those Air cooled hoods so I thought I could get the bulb closes and I burned the tops. Neither time did I have a nanner.

To answer your question...

The determination of whether others become hermi is really a function of how this one went hermi. If you have a bunch of plants in a Hydro system that links them all sharing the same solution bath and the solution was the problem then they all experienced the same stress and could easily all go. If they are isolated then it is much less likely unless they are all getting the same treatment (and again assuming is was a pH problem). That last time I hermied I was using a single res for 4 plants in a DWC and 2 went hermi because they were too close to the bulb. The other 2 were fine.

So you need to really think about what went wrong and until you know keep hunting.

Live and learn. Don't kick yourself too hard. That stuff looks pretty good and will still smoke fine.

Sorry about your luck Sawyer but I am learning a lot from the replies you are getting and I wouldn't have caught it either. I'm sure it's a small consolation but the colors are beautiful.

Took me almost 2 hours to find this but here is another one. If you look closely you can see regenerated new growth post shock. When ever this happens late in bloom you have a good likelihood of going hermi.

My plant's balls

Hi thanks for all the help , hear is some photos of my setup , im using pro mix hp soilless and am using general organicsfull line of nutrients I have a blue lab ph pen and im feeding at 6.1 to 6.3ph is that good for soilless ?
when I trimmed the hermi plant sandwiched between a bud and the stock was a dried pod and it had 3 or4 bananas that came out when I squished it open on my table.I found a few I do recall for about the last week that plant that went hermi did start to yellow off quite noticeably and the others were vibrantly green and still are 3 days into week 7. The bud in the box and hanger are all from the hermi plant .
So ive been looking at my other plants and all I can find are these pods with a hair growing out of them so they must be female correct?
You will see in the photos the purple pods with the hair growing out of them , I picked a couple off but it didnt seem to have anything in them. Thanks for all your help villigeidiot
IMG_048333.jpg
IMG_048239.jpg
IMG_048135.JPG
IMG_047733.jpg
IMG_047236.jpg
IMG_047135.jpg
IMG_046932.jpg
IMG_046644.JPG
IMG_046536.JPG

mmmmmmm....that looks tasty!!!

:goodjob:

Nothing blatantly obvious in those like the first one.

The last pic I am minorly concerned about BUT...you have nearly 100% brown pistils. You have got to be close to the end. You have no more new growth happening so you are nearing Resin top out. so that girl is basically ready. Get out the loop and take gander but I bet that she is ready to yank any day so does it really matter?

I just had my jewelers loop out inspecting mine and this was going off in the back of my head and I remembered. The browning of the pistils is due to the stunting. Your plant prematurely finished and then you restarted it. But by premature the truth is...you were basically there anyway.

No matter this one is in the record books...I just wanted to correct myself before someone else got to. :)

I am not happy to say that yesterday I FOUND another seed on the top cola of another plant, I am on week 7 day 3 and looked at the trichomes yesterday and they are just starting to turn cloudy, This strain is 8 to 10 weeks.
I have 2 questions i'm hoping someone can help me with.

1) If a plant turns hermaphrodite late in flower does the growth of the seed take over the maturity of the trichomes?
Reason I ask is i'm not sure if I should pull the plug now or let them go another week if its going to make much of a difference as I still have a lot of clear trichomes .

2) If I pull the plug now and let them sit in the dark for a few days until I reach my 8 weeks will that cloud up the trichomes ?
I saw a youtube video once ( growing with mr tight) and he left his plants in the dark to finish . What exactly does that mean for the leaf's to die off or the trichomes to cloud or amber up ???
I know this all probably sounds stupid but like I said this is only my second grow and even though I got hermaphrodites this grow looks 100% better then my first .

I personally think it was the genetics of the feminized seeds that caused my problems, reason I say that is my first crop the seeds looked normal size and all 10 successfully germinated and did not herm out on me but the purple kush did not purple out like on this crop, then months later when I went to order again from Crop king seeds the purple kush was out of stock when they were back in stock I ordered 10 more feminized seeds and when I got them they look nothing like the first batch that was previously out of stock. These seeds looked like little poppy seeds , they were tiny big time tiny and only 5 out of 10 germinated . They did turn out looking beautiful compared to my first crop . I think I didn't stressed this grow at all it was kinda like a perfect grow, no light leaks ,speed controller to control temps never getting above 78F and below 65F ... anyways thats just my theory as I cant see how else this crop hermied out on me? If anyone thinks its not possible about the seeds being the problem please let me know.
My next run is going to be feminized White Cookies from Crop king that I received not to long ago and must say these beans look normal not like little poppy seeds you'd find on your grandmas cake .

Back
Top Bottom