Okay or not okay what do you think?

Smokeey

420 Member
Hi was wondering what everyone or anyone opinion was on leaving leaves inside pot to degrade. I seen a few people say it is good and I seen other say it is bad, what is your opinion on whether we should leave leaves in pot after defoliation beneficial or not???

I've read on several grow sites that you shouldn't leave them in there. Don't really know why not. But if they say not to why chance doing it ? Put your leaves in a compost bin for later if you want to use them for beneficial reasons.
I would recommend talking to @Emilya about this. She grows organic most the time & can tell you why or why not leave the leaves.

It sounds all super organic to let the leaves mix in with the soil on your current grow, but I move all that debris out of the grow room and into my compost pile. First, it can break down out there a lot easier, and i am able to mix that soil regularly to help break up big chunks and eliminate hot spots. In your current container you cant do that, and there will still be hot spots as the stuff begins to decompose. You really don't want your roots having to deal with that.
Second, decomposing leaf matter releases gasses that attract bugs. Again, you don't want that near your active roots. A lot of decomposing leaf matter in your soil is a sure way to gather fungus gnats, looking for a good meal.

I grow in an inert and sterile media of peat+perlite. Decomposing organic matter just supplies bugs with a home and place for possible plant pathogens to get established. Also, as plant material decomposes, nitrogen is being tied up. Farmers turn their crops under in the fall, so they can decompose over winter, and not tie up N if they turn it in spring.

Back
Top Bottom