Olak: First Attempt At Growing Anything! Indoor Afghani Kush In Soil From Fem Seeds

First.....I should mention it is against forum guidelines to post links to non sponsor companies....that's twice in the first two posts! :laughtwo::laughtwo::laughtwo::laughtwo::laughtwo:

What I meant was what kind of seed, and not what bank.
Ok thats me breaking the rules :) appoIogies to sponsors. will check out the sponsor list and buy from them.
I thought I had enough seed info in the title. Is there anything else I can add?

Like watching that kettle boil :)
One of the Afghani seeds never made it out of the soil so I planted a Grape God seed right in to the soil and it has poked up over the weekend. Should make the grow a bit more interesting with a different strain. The 3 plants should fill my 2x4 tent nicely.
Always some questions! :
Got a slight film of algae on the soil surface. I assume that is due to excess dampness in the soil? Is it a concern?
Dampness is likely due to the absorbancy of the promix AP I used. Its like a sponge. But it was on sale at Canadian Tire and Im cheap! Plan is to add a bunch more perlite and some
composted manure to the Pro Mix when I re-pot.
Last question: when do I re-pot up from the solo cups?

I would put them in their final pots in about a week.
But I do things differently than 99% of everyone else here it appears.

I prefer to plant germinated seeds directly into a 25 gallon fabric pot.
Or if I want to get a 2 week head start on my next grow I will plant a germinated seed into a full solo cup 2 weeks prior to harvesting my main pots.
Then slide them right into the final pot once harvested.

Is the algae green or is it actually a fungus that's white?
If its fungus that's good.
If its actual algae that might not be so good.
Probably needs a bit more airflow, should fill cups close to the brim with soil, gives better airflow over the soil surface.

On your soil for the pots, if you're bottle feeding you may as well just go coco with about 30% aeration in it.

If you want to do a soil grow I'd highly suggest doing a Living Organic Soil No-till.
Use a Clackamas Coots type recipe in large, 15 gal minimum fabric pots.

This morning it is shaping up to be a warm one. I took the tray of seedlings out of their nice warm tent and put them out on the deck where the sun is just coming up so fairly cool yet. Noticed that beads of water quickly started to form on the leaf serrations.
Anyone know what causes that?
Can moving quickly from 30C to 10C environment cause problems?

4 week Update: after an over watering induced setback, which caused black and dying leaves and slowed growth, things are generally back on track. The number 1 AK is still behind. Lost all its large fan leaves in the overwayer disaster :( Im watering once a week at this point, and have pinched off the tops of the AK's. The GrapeGod is growing super squat and robust. 8+ nodes and 6" tall!

So after a couple weeks of growth, my plants essentially stopped growing and started to lose a lot of leaves. Seemed to get worse when I watered. I was getting a bit discouraged, but decided I should at least get a ph test kit and see if I could figure out what is going on. The liquid indicator kit told me that the ph of the soil is likely way too acid. Tested at 5 or lower! I mixed up a mute solution last night and as the only mild basic Chem. avail was baking soda I adjusted the ph of water to 8 ( from 7ish). I also top dressed the pots with a couple tablespoons of dolomite lime.
Amazed this morning to see a huge growth spurt. Probably more than the last 2 weeks! Looks like happy daze are here again!

Like watching that kettle boil :)
One of the Afghani seeds never made it out of the soil so I planted a Grape God seed right in to the soil and it has poked up over the weekend. Should make the grow a bit more interesting with a different strain. The 3 plants should fill my 2x4 tent nicely.
Always some questions! :
Got a slight film of algae on the soil surface. I assume that is due to excess dampness in the soil? Is it a concern?
Dampness is likely due to the absorbancy of the promix AP I used. Its like a sponge. But it was on sale at Canadian Tire and Im cheap! Plan is to add a bunch more perlite and some
composted manure to the Pro Mix when I re-pot.
Last question: when do I re-pot up from the solo cups?
Nice start bud,
Afghani is a leading strain well liked by many growers.
The hybrid brewing in our tent now is Acid marijuana strain. NYSD is a cross between Afghani and Mexican landrace strain.She's flowering now 9 weeks.A small plant by strain about 3 ' high.
All the best to ya

Is that one plant?how did u get it so bushy
So after a couple weeks of growth, my plants essentially stopped growing and started to lose a lot of leaves. Seemed to get worse when I watered. I was getting a bit discouraged, but decided I should at least get a ph test kit and see if I could figure out what is going on. The liquid indicator kit told me that the ph of the soil is likely way too acid. Tested at 5 or lower! I mixed up a mute solution last night and as the only mild basic Chem. avail was baking soda I adjusted the ph of water to 8 ( from 7ish). I also top dressed the pots with a couple tablespoons of dolomite lime.
Amazed this morning to see a huge growth spurt. Probably more than the last 2 weeks! Looks like happy daze are here again!

4 week Update: after an over watering induced setback, which caused black and dying leaves and slowed growth, things are generally back on track. The number 1 AK is still behind. Lost all its large fan leaves in the overwayer disaster :( Im watering once a week at this point, and have pinched off the tops of the AK's. The GrapeGod is growing super squat and robust. 8+ nodes and 6" tall!

?

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom