OldMacDonald's White Cookies Grow Journal - 2017

Both girls are showing a lot of growth. I've been struggling with overly hot and dry conditions due to circulation issues. I'm considering venting options.

I believe this explain the slight yellowing. They need a more consistent environment.

Also I have not used any nutes yet. I ordered fox farm soil trio. I'm also thinking of repotting soon. What do you think?

Looking pretty lush and bushy, but there's definitely some yellowing and discoloration on the lower leaves. They will receive their first proper feeding with Fox Farms stuff this week. I added some coffee grounds this weekend to get a bit more Nitrogen into the soil.

We used those pots for a couple of weeks on our first grow and I hated them. We haven't used them since. Despite the yellowing of the lower leaves, her nodes are nice and tight!

(Oops, how do I delete this post?)

I assume it was a duplicate post and I don't think you can delete the post completely, so I generally just change it to say "Duplicate post" or something similar.

Next seed is pooping out a white turtle of rooty goodness. Time to dip in the stinky brown cup house.

Question... Is my grow medium considered soil, as in organic grow, or inert, as in hydro? I think it's all vermiculite and spagnam and perlite, which I've seen many times in reference to hydroponics, with all nutrition from added solutions.

Here's the description:

In my previous grow, I started with this but added all sorts of organic matter like compost, bone meal, guano etc., So definitely a "soil".

What do you recommend for the media and my ladies grow up? I was thinking more organicy for the mother but later hydro for SOG or SCROG clones.

My main limitation is that my grow closet is like 29 inches tall, hence the need for very low and bushy.

Later I may need to keep a mother in a different place, letting it stay in veg indefinitely in a higher closet with white light for occasional clone clipping.

I am not expert at premixed things like this but it sounds like its a base for hydro.....but like you did before, I think you add enough organic stuff to be considered a soil. I grow in my own soil that I mix so the only advice I can offer is from a soil perspective.

Next sprouted seed added to pot. I added a big 2700K bulb, partly for heat.

IMG_20171227_050135442_HDR.jpg

I used those jiffy pots on my first grow and I threw them away after the first grow. If you like them, great.....but I found they tend to pull moisture away from the soil and my plants suffered. I switched to plastic pots for early veg because of it. Again, just offering my perspective and how they worked for me OMD.

The humidity seems a little low so I put a bowl of water in there

I domed them with plastic to keep more humidity in.

Excellent solutions for low humidity. Another thing you can do is hang some wet towels around your plant's area. They dry out a bit quickly, especially if you have any fans blowing. Don't fret the humidity too much. I grow in the North East and we always have really low humidity in the winter (16-30%) and deal with it....but lower humidity isn't the end of the world. Do what you can but the plant will do well regardless if you have everything else dialed in.

Just watered with several ounces. I know I need to be careful about over-watering seedlings, especially in large pots.

Should I leave them alone for a few days? Gently mist with a spray bottle occasionally?

I also read that jiffy pots can become tangled with roots and make transplanting difficult. Can I wait until the 2nd or 3rd node to transplant?
7b39c1576544d748ee89830ee68605be.jpg

Be careful transplanting too early (I know you might have already transplanted by the time I get caught up). Generally you want to think about transplanting when the leaves of the plant reach the edges of the pot. Those jiffy pots can rip ends of roots off when you do go to transplant them. Starting seedlings in solo cups is much easier in my opinion. Nothing sticks and the root balls come right out.

Also for determining needs for water, I recommend becoming familiar with the weight of your pot when both empty and full. When you do water, water on the outer edges. You want to promote root growth when they are young. Get those roots to search for water. Best to do that by watering along the edges. Stronger roots, stronger shoots!!

Next set of leaves popping out overnight. If nothing else, at least I'm getting practice with my camera.
8bb8aef57502a077355dcd80ab4e51c5.jpg

She is looking happy! Doing well OMD

Too hot and dry when I forget to leave the door open. The door will work for veg phase. I need a cooling system by flower time.
cde11adb2b7c388604a4e4c98bd5cb19.jpg

Thats just a bit on the warm side. Try to keep below 85 if possible. I know you are in a smaller cabinet but I would try to think of some way to get air moving through there. It will be especially important when you get to flower. You need constant air flow to keep them healthy. Great air flow can help compensate for temps or humidity levels that aren't perfect.

Looking pretty lush and bushy, but there's definitely some yellowing and discoloration on the lower leaves. They will receive their first proper feeding with Fox Farms stuff this week. I added some coffee grounds this weekend to get a bit more Nitrogen into the soil.
649777c7051d8120b1fbf3b48299f67e.jpg
b6676f740228b857735b37da569284f0.jpg

Have you started to feed them at all yet? If you haven't, you should probably start soon. I don't use nutes on any of my grows so I am not expert but everyone I know always starts really low when beginning to feed them. I would say start at 1/4th the recommended dose. You can always increase in the future, but its much harder to recover from burning your plants by overfeeding them.

All caught up buddy. Looks like you are off to a good start. How is your water's pH? Are you measuring?
I have the strips, which aren't super accurate. I make sure the color looks between 6-7, closer to 7. I was extra careful with the coffee grounds but they did not seem to acidify much, if at all.

I have the strips, which aren't super accurate. I make sure the color looks between 6-7, closer to 7. I was extra careful with the coffee grounds but they did not seem to acidify much, if at all.

I would recommend that you invest in an actual PH pen if you are going to be feeding bottled nutes. You will be much more accurate with your feedings and your pH which with those nutes is important. Are you adding the nutes first and then adjusting the pH? From my understanding......the nutrients will change your pH.

I would recommend that you invest in an actual PH pen if you are going to be feeding bottled nutes. You will be much more accurate with your feedings and your pH which with those nutes is important. Are you adding the nutes first and then adjusting the pH? From my understanding......the nutrients will change your pH.

I got a ph pen I can mail out if in Canada ?

I never use it anyways only 20$ needs calibration though

I'll be getting there gradually. I'm doing a little of each: before, after, and run off.

Back
Top Bottom