Original source seeds from the 70's: Yes I have some

Urmom,
Isn`t it amazing how you and a few of the minions continue the name calling but, yet, can`t show any proof of a 35+++ year old frozen seed is still able to grow? I can attest from my own experience of having lots and lots of old Bag seeds from the 70`s that i protected with my life and made sure they were wrapped up nicely and can assure you they don`t grow..No matter what method i attempted no matter how many hundreds and hundreds of seeds of top quality strains i had not a one was able to germinate.
Can you show me your proof? Its one thing to call other members here names, its another to "put up, or shut up!"....One more thing. I too was in Miami and still am in the 70`s, i think i know wtf i`m talking abt.....

Urmom,
Isn`t it amazing how you and a few of the minions continue the name calling but, yet, can`t show any proof of a 35+++ year old frozen seed is still able to grow? I can attest from my own experience of having lots and lots of old Bag seeds from the 70`s that i protected with my life and made sure they were wrapped up nicely and can assure you they don`t grow..No matter what method i attempted no matter how many hundreds and hundreds of seeds of top quality strains i had not a one was able to germinate.
Can you show me your proof? Its one thing to call other members here names, its another to "put up, or shut up!"....One more thing. I too was in Miami and still am in the 70`s, i think i know wtf i`m talking abt.....

What do you gain by telling someone they are lying about their grow? How does that support a place where we can all come and share our knowledge and experiences with each other? And what names am I calling you? And why the moniker of "minion"?

As for growing 35 year old frozen seeds, I never have, I am only 37...I have grown frozen seeds that were 3-5 years frozen and I believe that others have too, based on their personal experiences. I know several growers who have grown frozen seeds and have no reason to think they were lying to me either. For whatever reason you seem to think everyone who claims frozen seeds are viable is lying about it. Do you agree that seeds freeze every year and then germinate in the spring? What about the global seed storage project in Antarctica and Syria? The UN has been storing frozen seeds for decades this way.

I wish I had a freezer full of frozen seeds that I could journal for you. If you would like to wait a couple years, I will freeze some now and grow them out in 2018... I wish I could change your mind but I'm not sure I can and it really is not worth my time to continue to sway your opinion. Seeds freeze, then grow, it is a fact of nature...have a nice day.

Mom,
The original poster was discussing seeds from yester year and i originally commented on his assumtion and claim that seeds from the 70`s would and could grow. I merely stated i didn`t believe they could and than discussed my own experience with seeds from 44+++ years ago..I too had a collection and was attacked for telling someone i would like to see proof. The poster had no proof and 420 started deleting some of his posts as well.
I have no qualm with you or anyone else, except my personal experience in this matter. It was you who reached out and called me "idiotic" so, lets stop here and move on. The 70`s- 80`s was a wild time here in Miami.. I lived in the Grove by Dinner Key and can tell you some really great stories as i`m postive your Father can as well...The things we used to do back than were quite different than it is today, and i`m very impressed with the modern day grows vs the Swamp Weed, or gator green we used to grow.

Mom,
The original poster was discussing seeds from yester year and i originally commented on his assumtion and claim that seeds from the 70`s would and could grow. I merely stated i didn`t believe they could and than discussed my own experience with seeds from 44+++ years ago..I too had a collection and was attacked for telling someone i would like to see proof. The poster had no proof and 420 started deleting some of his posts as well.
I have no qualm with you or anyone else, except my personal experience in this matter. It was you who reached out and called me "idiotic" so, lets stop here and move on. The 70`s- 80`s was a wild time here in Miami.. I lived in the Grove by Dinner Key and can tell you some really great stories as i`m postive your Father can as well...The things we used to do back than were quite different than it is today, and i`m very impressed with the modern day grows vs the Swamp Weed, or gator green we used to grow.

Just want to clarify...I never called you or anyone else idiotic. I only said that the statement that frozen seeds will not germinate is ignorant. Ignorance is lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular. I apologize if you took this personally or thought is was intended as an insult, it certainly was not. The original poster left the forums saying he had been attacked personally a couple times by people claiming his seeds will not germinate due to freezing them. I can understand your personal experience has led you to believe that freezing seeds kills them. However, this is simply not true. As I have stated and others too, seeds freeze every year and then germinate. Seeds are frozen as an industry standard to store for long periods of time (decades). There are sufficient sources of scientific data that supports this as well as anecdotal evidence by folks like Big Sur and others who have grown out frozen seeds.

I believe you when you say you have had poor success growing frozen seeds. I have tried and failed and I also have tried and succeeded. His proof is the decades of growing his own seeds out. Asking someone to "prove" past grows is like asking someone to show proof they were at their own b-day party when the pictures burned in a house fire. Just because someone does not have pictures and detailed grow journals does not mean they are not true stories. His notes have descriptions of grows in them...clearly showing he grew them out at one point...maybe only after 1-5 years of storage but we have to take his word on it. Saying he didn't grow them, just because he doesn't have a grow journal on 420 mag, seems like a stretch. I know I was at my 21st birthday, almost 17 years ago...I do not have any pictures but that doesn't mean I didn't turn 21...see my point?

I do not want to turn this into an argument about seed viability or rub anyone the wrong way. I want to share information and learn from others here. I would be interested to see what you have been growing and read some of your recent journals in order to learn from people like you, who have been doing this longer than I have been alive.

Have a nice day...

I see that the ignorant still prevail and bully people here. Sad that. I can assure everyone that seeds are not only viable after being frozen for upward of 40 years, but they will THRIVE! And they retain original genetics that have been lost to the ages of change in the black markets around the world. I have gotten some interesting international feedback on my threads here lately. I have also gotten some offers to buy my seed collection. Again, it is not for sale as a whole, sorry. I may sell or trade some seeds to people doing genetic research and original crossing, which is ongoing. But overall I have heard from some old friends on Overgrow and other places that seed companies are not generally trustworthy, even ones in Europe where I could bank my own seeds to sell direct.

Oregon laws are still in flux for growing commercially, but they keep adding more hurdles to grow and they have greatly increased the costs for permits. A full grow permit is now $5,000 a year, up from the original $1,000. They also want water rights certified, power grid impact analysis, zoning approval, state and county permits, approval from any neighbors on any shared easement to the grow property if there are any easements, a 10 foot perimeter wall (requiring a county permit) for outdoor grows, building permits for any building for indoor grows, the buildings and/or greenhouses installed, lights, electrical, plumbing and water systems installed, bathrooms for employees, designates vehicles for transport, marijuana handling certificates for all involved, county and state inspections, an expensive bar code tag, inventory and reader systems and training on it, complete video surveillance with cameras and a secure location video recording system, an alarm system with dedicated phone service and response, a commercial quality lock/secure enclosure, background checking and listing of all owners, a comprehensive business and accounting plan, a business license, a secure area for drying/trimming/curing/storing weed and a means of bagging, tagging and storing harvested weed while it is sent out for testing at a certified lab, a vault for storing cash, because it is still an all cash business with the current federal classification of marijuana, and an OSHA approved and ventilated area for working in with all state requirements for hiring and managing employees (payroll, benefits, withholdings, yadda yadda). They also want full testing of product for pesticides, mold and THC/CBD content at certified labs as of today, but there are only 10 labs certified at this time (out of the 30+ that applied) and there will be a huge bottleneck for testing product near term. Also outdoor grows are going to be impacted by the weather here this summer, as the rains started early in September this year. I have had spot mold and rot on my outdoor MJ grow this year, even in a greenhouse. Condensation is a problem here when the temps get below 50 degrees at night, and the humidity is high. Lately it has been around 70% humidity and in the mid to upper 40s at night. I hear that growers are using hair dryers and a lot of fans to try to keep their plants dry. The trick is to have a heated greenhouse with good ventilation, which my brother has. He has had no rot to speak of this year. I have had some rot, but it is manageable. I have also had a lot of powdery mildew here this year on my plants, but that is also manageable with Neem oil. Bottom line, I am not going to get a grow license here, even though my property is in the proper agricultural permit zone, I have the space, and I have water rights. Just not worth it. Medical grow is a lot simpler to get and only requires a commercial locking system. And of course I can grow 4 plants here w/o any permit or approval. I am also working with a local guy that is getting a grow license and intends just to sell live MJ plants to retail sales places, as well as commercial medical and rec weed growers.

That said, I have been growing some interesting clone-only heirloom strains this year to cross my seeds strains with. Most notably GDP and White Widow. I am looking for earlier blooming and finishing strains like White Widow to cross with my rot and mildew resistant seed landrace strains from Mexico. I noticed last year that my indica heirlooms were all subject to more rot and mildew growing here, whereas my Mexican sativas were pretty rot and mildew free. I am also looking for larger size and more open plants (White Widow gets really crowded and packed colas). So I am crossing those. I can also inject mint flavor from my Oaxaca seed strains into anything else, and I am trying a GDP/grape flavor Oaxaca/mint flavor cross. I have also been harvesting lately, and my hands were so covered in oil and resin yesterday that I had to stop and clean my scissors and hands with 91% alcohol several times. My back room REEKS of fresh drying tops. And the early buds that I have dried are smoking up really well now. So I have lots of good weed to stay stoned most of the time. ;)

As for this thread, I will be finishing off the seed catalog listing here as there has been interest in my doing that, and for simply completing it. Then I will move on to finishing my two books on weed; the first is on small legal growing methods in the western states, and the other will be my memoirs of growing up in NorCal and being a pot head. I was writing one book, but it soon became apparent that there were two threads going that are unique. Growing weed, vs. growing up on weed. Simplicity is the key, as well as dispelling so much false information out there, the likes of which have pervaded this thread (and this site in many aspects). It seems that seed companies do not want people knowing that seeds can be frozen and stored, virtually forever. They would rather you pay upward of $20 a pop for one seed! I mean, really? My seeds were an undesirable portion of lids that I bought in the 70s and 80s. Most people tossed them out with the trash. We had rolling trays for de-stemming and de-seeding weed with in those days, just to get enough flowers and leaves to roll a joint with. Seeds left in joints tended to explode like popcorn does. As a result of that most of the early genetics were tossed out as well. Every top shelf strain out there now has to have a history and has to have come from somewhere. Much of this is from the early seeded weed days in NorCal from pot imported from around the globe. Strains like Haze, Skunk, and Mendo Purps/GDP, Dog Bud/Chem Dog, Blue Dream etc. all come from NorCal, and the seeds there were all imported.

Some of the funniest make believe nonsense i have ever read. Its a real life "Jack and the beanstalk".. 50 year old seeds that can produce? Wild! No professional grower can confirm this, but, this grower? I`m speechless.

Some of the funniest make believe nonsense i have ever read. Its a real life "Jack and the beanstalk".. 50 year old seeds that can produce? Wild! No professional grower can confirm this, but, this grower? I`m speechless.

^Seriously?

You use your fourth post on this forum to heckle a member who's been here for a year with hundreds of posts?

Not a very auspicious start ... :straightface: Heckling is kinda rare on this forum. Please remember that.

If you've scoured the web and actually have something you know, I'd love to hear it. I have a whole bunch of bagseed in film cannisters that won't sprout, but I didn't keep them frozen. I can get mine to crack the shell, but they give up at that point. Big Sur kept his frozen. Other members are working on ways to revive these old landrace seeds. Some have been successful with tissue culturing, for instance.

:Namaste:

Man, that is just awesome. I really miss those old strains and not this hyped up nonsense if the day. I will admit, some of the new stuff is pretty awesome but, I miss the old strains. Old prices, etc. Welcome to the forum dude! I hope to learn much from you...

Sent from my SM-N900T using 420

Yes, the paradigm of ignorance prevails here. As expected. So I have added more people here to my ignore file. I am not going to debate them. It is pointless. These people in denial are of little consequence. I have opened other channels on this subject with an international community of growers and breeders. We are outside the constraints of this forum. I am only updating this to complete the original intent, and for those that want to know the facts.

I say again, regardless of what the ignorant here have stated, there are many published studies that document the freezing of Cannabis seeds and their subsequent thawing and germination. I have germinated many seeds from my frozen Cannabis seed collection over the years. They germinate, they grow, and they bloom. Its that simple.

My landrace/heirloom MJ seed catalog (cont.):

Seed pack #18
B+ 3 stars
Brown bricked tops
Colombia
June, 1979
$40/oz.
Another bricked Colombian sativa. Moderately seedy, about 70 seeds per oz.

Seed pack #19
A+ 3 stars
Light gold bricked tops
Colombia
October, 1978
$145/per 1/4 lb.
Another bricked Colombian sativa. Very seedy, over 100 seeds per oz.

Seed pack #20
B+ 3 stars
Gold/brown/red/green loose tops
Colombia
July, 1979
$40/oz.
Yet another Colombian sativa. Grew these seeds outdoors in California in 1982 but the plants got ripped off mid-grow. The neighbors said that some Mexican field workers ran off with them. Rather seedy, over 100 seeds per oz. Seeds are spotted.

Seed pack #21
Unknown seeds from unknown origin. I found these in the corner of a twisted off baggie in my apartment in 1980. Obviously I was too stoned to label it. Apx. 30 seeds. Germinated a half dozen of these and grew 2 females out in Southern Oregon in 2005 (the other 4 were eaten by rabbits or something else?). They resulted in green sativas with white hairs turning red when they were ripe and the tops dried. Not bad stuff with a sativa high. My GF at that time said it tasted like "Mexican." She likes really string weed, and can smoke wax like it is nothing though.

Seed pack #22
Primo Super narco Thai
Fat Thai sticks
Thailand
C. 1983
$no price, was given these seeds by a NorCal dealer
This stuff was too strong and narcotic for me, it gave me paralyzing couch lock. It is from the later Thai sticks that were fat cigar sized and said to be dipped in hash oil.

Seed pack #23
Primo Thai
Skinny Thai sticks
Thailand
$lost price
Seeds from the old type of skinny Thai sticks. Uplifting strong high. They had about a half dozen seeds per stick. Sativa sized seeds.

The rest of my seeds are heirloom second generation or later planted seeds that were from near-sinsemillia tops grown in NorCal. Most are from herm plants that self-crossed, or were pollinated by sneaky males.

Seed pack #24
Primo local 5 star
Purple senseless
Big Sur (Holy Weed?)
February, 1980
$130/oz.
Beautiful green with purple tops with red and gold hairs, cured perfectly. My notes say it is a 'smooth wonder bud with a great high'. Got this in Big Sur (Partington Ridge) from a guy that had lived there on and off since he was a kid. Said to be a Big Sur Holy Weed descended plant at that time. The seeds are tiny and dark purple (almost black). I grew one HUGE female outdoors in SoOR from these seeds in 2006 and it was a monster in size, and really late blooming (did not pop flowers until mid October). The tops were a deep purple when I had to pull the plant before it finished blooming because of an early freeze. Yes, the seeds freeze OK, but not the plants.

Good day everyone
First at all let me show all my respect to you Big sur, this thread is one of the most interesting things amoung all the forums, your preservacionist work is awesome, sadly you post all this valuable info into the wrong place, I new here but this is the only thread enought good to stay every single word that you wrote is good info to me. I'm a landrace lover and heirloom as well, for many years I was part of a old forum called "Vibes Collective" that place was about to share and preserve old pure landraces cannabis around the world, the colombian gold 1972, original pure lansbread jamaican 1960, panama red 1974, mauritius, thais, angola red, pure swazi, pakistan chitral kush and many many others pure landraces that you can see on the forums and actually all the people can buy is from there, and always the main idea was not lost that awesome pure cannabis lines...
There's still many folks from the VC that still grow and reproduce many pure landraces so by my self I'm gonna work next year with some of it
As I say this is not the right place to share this kind of info or anything about pure landraces
I would like to invite you to others forum where you'll meet a serious breeders and truly canna-entusiast ... I'll let you some pictures of some of my reproductions later by now keep sharing this awesome info with us
Best vibes.

Back
Top Bottom