Ouch my head

Bob Loblaw

So I made bad and now I've a healthy portion of hermie seeds. I do not know if it's true but I read that hermie seeds tend to produce hermie plants. Therefore not worth planting unless you don't mind hermies... I figure.

My headache comes from this thought, is not CS, STS or GA3 stressing the plant to produce hermies? In other words feminized seeds are hermies? How big is the difference?

Ouch my head... :lot-o-toke:

In my personal experience I have had problems with feminized seeds herming out. Maybe at a 60% rate. Could just be me though. I switched to regular seeds and I maybe get a 10% rate of herm. I have since switched to regular seeds from reputable breeders, havent had a herm in couple years. This past year, as far as seeds are concerned I have grown exclusively Dynasty genetics.

True hermie has both male and female parts.

Plants that produce nanners are Not true hermies. They don't have male pods just nanners which is still female, but its Just the plants last effort to pollinate to insure survival. Can be Stress induced.

So yes true hermie seeds can produce higher hermie seed %.

So I made bad and now I've a healthy portion of hermie seeds. I do not know if it's true but I read that hermie seeds tend to produce hermie plants. Therefore not worth planting unless you don't mind hermies... I figure.

My headache comes from this thought, is not CS, STS or GA3 stressing the plant to produce hermies? In other words feminized seeds are hermies? How big is the difference?

Zero stress induced is stress induced.

I used Hermie once just to see what would become of them.
El supreeze they hermied seemingly overnight because I was checking. And ruined a whole crop. Just me but any random seed I have recovered since goes straight in the garbage. Would never take a risk again.

Can you explain better what you mean by ‘hermie’ Bob? There are hermies then there are hermies...

In my experience the offspring off hermies tend to hermie in pretty close proportion to the way their parent hermied.

All weed is capable of going hermie- but under varying levels of torture to get it there. The silver and GA treatments are a bit different and used to suppress a hormone - maybe not fair to put those in the same category.

If your seeds are from a female that grew full-on balls as a young plant- that’s a total reject imo.
If it just grew a few nanners in late flowering because of some stress, maybe it’s ok. And maybe it’s worth using even if it popped a few nanners w/o the stress. I have a couple like that and since they don’t ever seem to have resulted in seeds, I keep growing them.

There have apparently been tried and true female clones that reversed and became fully male, according to breeder legend. Apparently some good strains have come from freak events like this.
And there are also males that hermie or become female.

Explain? hmm I doubt it but I'll try. My plants hermied because of my own mistake. My first grow in coco and from my prior experience I thought I knew where my ph needed to be, so I ph'd down by a lot every feeding, it came to a point that my coco was way too acidic... that was the stressor so totally my fault IMO. I flushed until it fixed and now they are back to normal errr somewhat normal. So now I'm sitting on a pile of hermie seeds and wondering how bad are they? Then I start thinking well hay isn't the method they use to produce feminized seed made by stressing the plants? It was hurting my head so I thought I would ask for opinions.

I thought about the fact that ya it's messing with the hormones of the plant... still seems like stress to me, that said I am somewhat unedumacated.

I'll have to ask someone with some land and put some of my seeds out in da bush just to see what happens or if I dare I could try one in my room, I'm only growing for myself and to share so what does it matter.

Shame on me I read the signs but I didn't react. I did miss the nanners though.

Ok by explain I meant - Did the plant grow nanners or balls? At what stage did it produce them- in late flowering,early flowering or veg?
Many plants will grow a couple nanners in late flower. Basically the earlier hermies show, the worse I consider them. If you think the seeds were a result of stress- the offspring may need to be quite stressed themselves to hermie.

Personally I’m not a huge worrier about plant stress/hermies. So far it’s mainly been light leaks that produce then for me. I haven’t ever had hermies from any other stress and god knows I stress the hell out of them.

Possibly some strains grow a few nanners because of stress that would have otherwise? I don’t know.

Any female that grows balls is one for the garbage can IMO, unless I treated it to produce them on purpose.

In the spring sprinkle them around in the dirt. Just not near anybody else’s girls. You’ll see how they grow. Probably fluffy seedy buds. From my experience keep them out of your flower room.

It was nanners as best as I could tell, I found a couple but not a whole lot. I did not see any balls or male parts like that. All 3 plants (different variety's) seeded out and most of the seeds are mature. The stressing started about same time as the stretch (2 1/2 times its height at least) this is probably why my seeds are as mature as they are. Ya they went from about 17"'s tall to about 7 foot during the stretch. Which in turn brought on more stressors as in light too close monster cropping and all kinds of twists & turns. 1 bud actually made an almost perfect very large donut.

One plant is very sativa looking I don't expect it to be ready for a few more weeks, one I am harvesting slowly all I know is it has darker colors and the third one don't look good at all and I don't expect that one to be very good smoking at all.

I'm not worried or concerned just curious as to what one can expect from feminized seed. I'm very impressed with the replies so far and my head does feel better now :Rasta:I am also interested in what my seeds would produce but I've a few more different seeds I would like to try first.

Any friends I have that may be looking for seeds I will happily give some out and explain where they came from.

I must have more than enough to get me through to next grow because I have already given an substantial amount away even though I've only got about 1/2 plant harvested.

It's too bad I messed up as these plants were monsters, that one plant that don't look very good had a massive bud right off the hop.

Very nice, been trying to remember to read this for weeks.

Don't really know the answers here.

The more I read about plant genetics the more I seem to understand strain stability.

Crossing two plants seems easy enough. Crossing two great strains seems easy enough.

The real challenges maybe be finding the two best strains to cross that will be stable/consistent.

Best regards,

Very nice, been trying to remember to read this for weeks.

Don't really know the answers here.

The more I read about plant genetics the more I seem to understand strain stability.

Crossing two plants seems easy enough. Crossing two great strains seems easy enough.

The real challenges maybe be finding the two best strains to cross that will be stable/consistent.

Best regards,
Stable and consistent. For most of us just having fun and trying our best to grow good pot fooling around with a couple plants might be fun but to get stable and consistent results aren’t possible. Breeders of seeds track genetics and grow hundreds of plants in an attempt to do it. They invest quite a bit and don’t always succeed. How often have you gotten a funky plant from just a 4 pack of seeds? So not easy. But hell I had fun growing a blue dream I accidentally crossed with a strawberry cough. Countless hours growing Fluffy buds that hermied and ruin my other girls.
A lesson I won’t soon forget.

Back
Top Bottom