PC Case Micro SCRoG Grow

For me, keeping the res temp low was also a diagnostic tool. I had read that if the 'slime' had no smell, was not stalled by low temps, h2o2, and high oxygen, then it is prolly brown slime algae (which is actually a type of blue green algae). H2o2, in my case, did nothing, so sounds like you prolly do indeed have classic root rot.

DM zone recommends water temps of 65-70. If the res will stay 74 or higher, they recommend the strongest dose. I have stopped adding ice and my res temp indeed stays around 75, yet my roots look perfect. I have been adding it at a rate of 1ml per gallon at res change. After 5 or 6 days I add a little booster of about .5ml per gallon or slightly less. I probably should keep my res temp cooler simply because dissolved oxygen and nute uptake is suppose to be optimum at 65ish, but I can't afford a res chiller and adding ice packs every few hours isn't practical.

It will be interesting to see a control bucket added, good luck with that. :)

I've decided that I am going to add a control bucket. Could someone point me or at least advise me on what I should get for a grow area of my size?

I'm not being lazy, it's just that I see all these big 5 gallon buckets for big grows, but mine's so small, I don't know what exactly I need to get for something this small.

I'm planning on hitting the hydro store today, so I'd like to read up on what I need to get.

Grumpy,

So you're saying that if I chose to keep my res inside my case, that the DM Root Zone would allow for the higher temps or am I still running the risk of root rot at 75F +/-??

I wish I could tell you but I can't. You might get a better/faster response if you post your problem and situation on the Stealth Hydro Deep Water Culture Q&A page. That way more people that use Deep Water Culture with more experience than I will see it.

The Deep Water Culture Home in my sig is also an other good spot to post the same question. (I would use the Q&A thread first) When you go there you will see it's an extremely active thread.

I'm very interested and tuned in to this thread to see how your PC grow turns out. I want to see you succeed so that I can possibly try it in the future instead of a full closet grow.

I could really use some direction from people experienced with Deep Water Culture so I know what would be a suitable system for a scaled down version of Roseman's setup.

The plants are doing okay, but they're just in plain H20 with some H202.

Do I need a large control tank? Do they make pumps that would fit a two plant system reservoir? Is this even possible/feasible to do with a PC case?

Thanks

My opinion....

You can probably get by without a pump (making it DWC instead of Deep Water Culture).

In the smaller reservoir a good airstone will keep the nutes mixed and provide the needed oxygen.

Not sure how old they are, but you're going to need to start light nutrients for vegetation.

Don't go too long without it, but don't overdo it either. 1/4 strength maybe just enough that they don't starve.

My experience is that yes, you could use DM zone to guard against root rot even with temps in the mid 70's. High temps/small res have other disadvantages though. I think the general rule is 4-5 gal per plant, however I have grown in a 2 gallon doing a scrog. I have a 10 gal now and that is too big. Really eats up the nutes when I flush, and the root rot made me flush very often. The person who pointed me to DM zone told me that it keeps root rot in check, but the rot is always there waiting to come back at the first chance it gets.

I agree that you should post on the Deep Water Culture thread for ideas on a control bucket application and size if that's the way you want to go.

nice set up playloud !!!

the main thing i c is h202 and organic nutes dont mix yes it kills the bad bacteria and it kills the good benificials also it doesnt know the difference. i would recommend hygrozyme it will turn the root rot & algea n 2 food for your plants just my 2cents ;)

Not sure if you got what you needed already. Sounds like you're on top of it and I know all the suggestions made were spot on.

Re: the controller. Not sure if you just mean something to control the height of the water for two pots. If so, 2 ways to do it small.

1 - put an overflow at the top of one or both buckets. Just a hole with a .5" grommet. A standard hose or barb will fit right in and make a seal. Same as used in all the E&G setups etc... Run that overflow back to your res. Make sure your pump is not faster in than your overflow out, and you're done. Total cost - $3-$8

2 - add a separate "controller". The only important part is that the overflow be at the same height as the water level you want for your buckets. The controller can be a piece of 3" pvc with caps. Do a .75" overflow out back to res at the top and .5" to the pots from the side at the bottom. A .5" line in from the res can go anywhere needed. Again - all can be done with grommets. Total cost - $5-$15

not sure if that's what you were looking for - but I'm medicated and that was fun.

:goodluck::nicethread::peace::rollit:

Thanks for the info. That's what I was looking for.

So essentially, what I'm going to have is a reservoir and a control bucket. I'm going to have two supply lines running from the manifold to each plant. Then I'm going to have a return line running from the bottom of the reservoir to the control bucket, allowing my pump to circulate the nute solution.

Does that sound about right?

Yes, I've read a bunch on this but I'm still trying to wrap my head around it all to make sure I'm doing it right.

I'd hate to lose my girls right now, BUT, if I have to make the learning sacrifice right now I will. I really think that once I get this issue cleared up, I'll be off to the land of milk & honey :smokin:

Do I have to buy all these supplies at the hydro store or would HD or Lowe's carry the pumps? I'm sure the manifold would have to be bought at the hydro store.

Thanks to each and every one of you for your input

Well guys, I figured I'd give an update.

My first grow on here has ended. :rip:

I am trying to read up on exactly what supplies I need and how to set up a little stealth control bucket for my next grow. I went to HD & Lowe's and both had a "drip irrigation" section, but it was hodge podge and I hadn't read enough about what really I need to get, so I left without buying anything. I started feeling a bit odd staring at stuff trying to figure out the whats & the how manys.

I didn't see the first grommet there, but a bunch of stuff I really didn't need.

I really want to get back to growing asap with as little down time as possible, but I need to get my ducks in a row. So I'm hoping to re-germ sometime this weekend and make a list of the stuff I need to pick up at the hydro store or online.

I'm disappointed again yes, but I've learned a lot thus far. This is far from me quitting.

Sorry to hear that. But hang in there, I'm sure you'll figure it out. This is probably a silly question, but did you try doing a search on this forum for "PC" or "PC Grow Cabinet" to see if anyone else was having any success doing what you are trying?

You have the right attitude. If you can match it with the right set up you will grow some beautiful girls. Good luck!

Well guys, I figured I'd give an update.

My first grow on here has ended. :rip:

I am trying to read up on exactly what supplies I need and how to set up a little stealth control bucket for my next grow. I went to HD & Lowe's and both had a "drip irrigation" section, but it was hodge podge and I hadn't read enough about what really I need to get, so I left without buying anything. I started feeling a bit odd staring at stuff trying to figure out the whats & the how manys.

They're used to people browsing. Just remember that if you talk to yourself, be careful what you say, lol.

Due to the number of employees, you might have to politely say that you don't need assistance several times. They ought to make available "Just Looking" signs that a person can hang on their cart, lol.

Thanks for sharing your grow with us, PlayLoud. Even those that do not reach a successful harvest are helpful to others who might be contemplating the same kind of setup (or experiencing the same problems).

I'm moving this to completed journals now.

I really want to get back to growing asap with as little down time as possible, but I need to get my ducks in a row. So I'm hoping to re-germ sometime this weekend and make a list of the stuff I need to pick up at the hydro store or online.

I'm disappointed again yes, but I've learned a lot thus far. This is far from me quitting.

As long as you learned things, the time cannot be counted as a waste. It should allow you to return stronger and more knowledgeable and to have a much better shot at a successful grow in the future. Glad to know that you are not giving up.

When you do start a new grow, please share it with share with us here:
Journals in Progress - 420 Magazine

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom