PH of Regular Tap Water Question

OlderStoner

Been growing off and on for several years now. The subject of ph of the local tap water came up. Years ago, before legalization for medicinal MJ I always noticed a high ph level in my tap water. Sometimes 9 and above. But lately, or should I say that a large amount of capital has been invested in growing cannabis for the dispensaries I've noticed that the tap water at my residence is almost a constant 6.7. No complaints from me but it makes one wonder, what caused the change. I know the county uses different sources for municipal water around here but it also occurs to me that with all the political wrangling going on these days, the growers could possibly be bribing, I mean paying, some one to adjust the ph that's perfect for cannabis.

Okay, now wrap a Grassy Knoll around my neck and call me a conspiracy theorist.

hard to say honestly. I’m doubtful they’re being bribed. What type of chlor does your city use? Chlorine or chloromine? Perhaps they switched from latter to former. The latter is worse for plants as it can’t be evaporated. In the event your city has chloromine then bribery isn’t plausible I’d guess.

Other than all that, perhaps the nutes in your water has changed. Pull the water reports should tel you if that’s true. Reports should be public info.

City water usually pretty tight on their allowed PH range, but if they getting it from different sources could be part of it. Where I used to work the city water was always in the mid 6's whereas the well water was around 8, so when we made pulp depending on if we used city or white water or well water how much we had to adjust it with chemicals to get it to the PH range we wanted for that type of paper pulp.

most municipalities are going to test out near neutral - ph 7 - it's easiest on infrastructure. too basic and it will attract particles from other materials, too acidic and it will slowly eat stuff. most water open clean sources will normally test close to neutral on their own.

it isn't a hard and set rule. there's only so much that can be done cheaply and effectively. most do as good as they can and work with what they're given. the largest factor is always the source, ph will change seasonally somewhat as well.

Also remember that pH of the water is only 1/2 the issue, alkalinity (usually calcium carbonate) is the other. I always think of water chemistry in terms of a battery: pH is the charge of the battery, and alkalinity is the size of the battery. If the alkalinity is small (RO/DI water or 'soft' water < 25ppm), the pH doesn't matter, as it will be really easy to change (like charging/discharging a small battery). If the alkalinity is big, though, it buffers the pH and it will take a lot of pH up/down to change the pH of the water.

So, if your water is pH 9 and there is only 10ppm of alkalinity, you may only need a couple of drops of pH down to get to 6.5. If the pH is 7 and the alkalinity is 500ppm, you'll need a LOT of pH down to get it down to the same 6.5. Usually, though, it'll be more stable once it gets there.

Back
Top Bottom